View Poll Results: The New York Trilogy: Final Verdict

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

1 7.69%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

2 15.38%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

10 76.92%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: January / Thriller Reading: The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst2010 View Post
    And read till the end of the third story The Locked Room. The answer isn't simple and obvious to me but I think I see some connection. The Locked Room may be the most enjoyable one, if you look for more meaningful interaction between the characters.
    SPOILER ALERT!!!

Fanshawe's childhood friend is the author of the books and The Locked Room is his account on how he went from magazine writer to an author of fiction. We can look at The Locked Room as the source material for City of Glass and Ghost. The red notebooks, characters etc. Their symbolic meaning can be found in Locked Room.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Did you enjoy City of Glass?
    I've enjoyed reading City of Glass, but I caught myself at the end wondering what happened. I've any number of theories, but as I turn them around in my head none made any sense. I found that I was left with a lingering sadness that Quinn was so withdrawn from the world that no one really noticed when he disappeared. Auster did, but that was quite a time after. I'm ashamed to admit that I'll not likely be one who becomes interested in this type of book. I'm left with way too many questions, and not nearly enough answers

I started on Ghosts, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting interested. A few things struck me. First, it is a similar scenerio of watching someone else. Also, the up front cash was the same. Quinn was paid $500 in City of Glass (though the check bounced), and the man in Ghosts was paid $500 in cash. All the color names are making it hard to keep things strait, and I'm also struck by the differences in his writing between the two tales. Ghosts just seems to run on and on, having no chapters or really logical break points. I have to say that City of Glass was much easier to read in that respect.

Better late than never.. have just finished the book

I just love this forum! You guys have great ideas and great comments.

I've had as much fun reading your posts as reading the book... well maybe not because I really enjoyed the book (particularly the last story) but anyways, it was great to read some of your posts.

And thanks to Paige19 for the interesting links and to Virgil for the pics....

Currently reading:
    The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky

Blog Entries
    I read it in translation and really likes it ... and I gave this book as present to some of my friends and they liked too
    Art is a lie that leads to the truth.
    --Picasso

I read the trilogy...a year or two ago, I don't really remember when but one thing I do know: I haven' been able to stop thinking about it yet.

Reading your interesting comments make it abundantly clear that I missed a lot when reading it the first time. A work to revisit for sure.

I loved City of Glass. I was surprised that Ghosts seemed to be a variation on the same idea, but of course that goes for all three of them. Anyway, I found Ghosts great. So strange, so creepy simply because little seems to be happening. Or?

The Locked Room, as I recall, is more traditional, isn't it? I found it the least intriguing part but based on your comments I'm sure I missed in what ways it explained the earlier parts. To the extent they ever can be explained.

Yes, thinking about it, Ghosts really got me thinking. Who is really being observed? Who is writing? Who is who? Who is being deceived? I'm sure a lot could be read into this on a symbolic level.

I hesitate to attribute so much power to LitNet but - I have just come across a newly re-issued p/b edition of The New York Trilogy and only a month or so back I was lamenting that I could not get a copy in UK. Just who is reading these Forums, I ask myself: not the manager of my local bookstore, surely? Anyway, better late than never, I'll now be able to read it and re-read the thread and understand more of the comments are about!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kasie View Post
    I hesitate to attribute so much power to LitNet but - I have just come across a newly re-issued p/b edition of The New York Trilogy and only a month or so back I was lamenting that I could not get a copy in UK. Just who is reading these Forums, I ask myself: not the manager of my local bookstore, surely? Anyway, better late than never, I'll now be able to read it and re-read the thread and understand more of the comments are about!
    Glad to see you back Kasie and would love to hear your thoughts on this. Perhaps there is an alien connection between lit net and your book store.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Aliens in west Swansea? Nah.....although, maybe you have something there....it would certainly explain the driving habits in those parts....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567