Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need "love" advice.

amor vincit omnia livelaughlove's Avatar

Need "love" advice.

Exactly what the title says.

I'm 18. And I need help. I'm tired of watching my best friends have boyfriends and coaching them through their love issues when in reality... I've never officially had a boyfriend. It's just never been the right time, or the right person. I consider myself a normal person; well, perhaps a bit more timid than most girls but not overly so, at least I don't think so. There are certainly girls out there who are waaaay more gorgeous than me but I believe it's more than just the physical... everybody needs to be seen for their individual qualities. And I just need to hear what other people have to say about it. I do know, though, that I'm not a partier; I don't drink or smoke or do any of that nasty stuff and it seems like that limits me some because parties are apparently the "it" place... whatever...

Here are my past "almost's" - just to get an idea of where I am right now... any and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated and taken into consideration... I am ready to make some changes here..

Boy #1: Hung out with him for a few weeks in the summer. He was a camp counselor at my barn (I ride horses) and I had the biggest crush on him. He was adorable and charming... a huge flirt though and after he got tired of me he just moved onto my friends... I never really thought far enough ahead to hope things would work out between us, but I did really, really like him. But, I was young and didn't really know how to handle the situation so it just kind of faded..

Boy #2: Met him through one of my good friends, she was dating his best friend and they thought it would be cute if we hooked up and went on double dates with them... well that night that I met him, I don't know why but physically we just hit it off.. aka a lot of ca-noodling - but nothing even remotely sexual happened. I knew it wouldn't work out from the beginning because he was a bit of a bum in school... I never even really liked him, I guess I just let myself go for a few hours... which was a bit exciting and I learned something from it.

Boy #3: We worked together. I liked him from the first day; it started with physical attraction and then just built from there. He was so sweet to me and I just kind of melted. After a few weeks though, I got kind of impatient and talked to him... he liked me too... but told me that he couldn't date me because I wasn't a Christian. Talk about a low blow. We tried to remain friends after that and we "hung out" but it being with him after that was just kind of painful, knowing that I liked him immensely but it would never work. It's been about a year and we are still friends, and we talk because we really were close (that was the closest I've come to a boyfriend) but of course that hurt.

Boy #4: He was in my Spanish class and we kind of hit it off. We were physically attracted, had the same interests (he didn't like to party either) so we exchanged numbers and planned to hang out sometime... I waited for him to call me.. and he never did. Once the semester ended, I saw that he was back with his ex-girlfriend.

Boy #5: He doesn't even count really but one day, we met by a crosswalk and definitely hit it off. We shared so many things in common and walked to our classes (I'm in college by now) together that day and we just could not stop talking to each other. I was fascinated by him. He lived in the same dorm complex so I saw him at the cafeteria sometimes and we'd chat some. One day he asked if he could join me for breakfast and I said sure. We talked again for a while and he asked me about parties and I told him I didn't really like party that much. Ever since then, the most we've said is "hey" and when I go for a "how are you?" he runs. What the heck? Did it all just depend on my answer to that one question? Like I said, he didn't really count... it just mystified me a bit...

If you've made it this far..... I thank you SO much for reading. I really look foward to hearing what you have to say. Please don't tell me that "partying is the only way" because I'm not doing it. I do go to "clean" parties, I am very social and LOVE to be with my friends... but the party scene, the "going out" scene.. is not for me.

What do I do? Should I change up my tactics? Try being bold? The most important thing to me is just being myself...

Anyway.. I've written enough. It's your turn!
    Last edited by livelaughlove; 01-06-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Go with Boy 6, the one you haven't met yet. Join sports and activity clubs, do what you enjoy, and meet other people who like the things you do.

A FLEECED MONSTROSITY aBIGsheep's Avatar
    Relationships aren't all they're cracked up to be. Hey, she feels soft in my arms, but that cuddly feeling only lasts a few weeks before I want to strangle the person.

Don't plan a wedding without a groom.
    The worst feeling in the world isn't loneliness, it's being forgotten by someone you can't forget.

Blog Entries
    Ouch, baa baa

... i hope someone got that.

Ahem, i got to the bit where you said you weren't gorgeous ( i bet you actually are ) - i haven't had a chance to look at you but i'll tell you something.

Looks, in my book, mean zilch, i mean when it comes to dating the opposite sex, i do not care. Its all about the charisma.
    Guys with charisma, great personalities, confidence - sets my world on fire

But considering the fact you're not looking to date me, that point was irrelevant..

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    I always remember a girl, in Portugal ... She wasn't pretty, but she followed me everywhere. That felt good.

Men like girls who follow them. In everything. Some men like parties. Some have religious restrictions. Be open. Try it. You won't be alone, after all. If they see you're following them, they'll look after you, take care of you. Even if it doesn't end up in a relationship ...

And make friends. What's the purpose of life? To get a boyfriend? No way! Make friends. Be with them. Follow the guy you like most, until where you may. Learn from each situation. Don't be afraid of parties or religions ... Unless you have a religion yourself ... (Then you should search for a guy who has the same as you ...)

Live a good life. Find out more about yourself. What do you like to do? (don't bother answering me ...) Do you rellerskate?, go to the beach?, collect butterflies? ... Skydiving? Live, girl, enjoy life. Travel, meet new places. Spend a time in ... say ... Peru, Brasil (Rio de Janeiro, haha!), Paris, London at the worse (in case you can't speak another language, or doen't want to ...)

Live.

And, wherever you go, whatever you do, if you find a guy, follow him. But be always open not to be corresponded. It happens as well.

Blog Entries
    i dunno about following..
    when someone follows me that's a sure sign that person has a bolt loose..

but i'm taking your comment literally.

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    i dunno about following..
    when someone follows me that's a sure sign that person has a bolt loose..

but i'm taking your comment literally.
    Well ... please, don't follow a stranger in the streets!, please!

Blog Entries
    hahaha.. ahh, you got it.

Dude, knowing you have control over someone, like if they're following you, is an ego-trip. But it's really not all that fufilling. It's pretty creepy, actually.
    The worst feeling in the world isn't loneliness, it's being forgotten by someone you can't forget.

Blog Entries
    Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    You are a real song person aren't you

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    I ****IN LOVE THIS GAME

All night long I'll hunt for you
    Let me show you what I mean

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by librarius_qui View Post
    And make friends. What's the purpose of life? To get a boyfriend? No way! Make friends. Be with them. Follow the guy you like most, until where you may. Learn from each situation. Don't be afraid of parties or religions ... Unless you have a religion yourself ... (Then you should search for a guy who has the same as you ...)

Live a good life. Find out more about yourself. What do you like to do? (don't bother answering me ...) Do you rellerskate?, go to the beach?, collect butterflies? ... Skydiving? Live, girl, enjoy life. Travel, meet new places. Spend a time in ... say ... Peru, Brasil (Rio de Janeiro, haha!), Paris, London at the worse (in case you can't speak another language, or doen't want to ...)

Live.
    I think most of this part is good advice though (apart from the following part). Live. Don't care too much about meeting people, just have fun. And no stalking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aBIGsheep View Post
    I ****IN LOVE THIS GAME

All night long I'll hunt for you
    Let me show you what I mean
    Reminds me of this book i found at borders about really creepy songs.
    Listed around 100 of them.

Blog Entries
    Hi!

It's weird that you brought this up because I've been having the same thoughts over and over again for a long time.I still do...But since giving advice to others is much easier than following it yourself,well,here I go.

You see,men at this age have clichees about girls.For example,I have this friend that is not beautiful,maybe cute,but she has that look that requires protection,that makes males feel manly and powerful.It is,after all,a question of symbols.It is true that if you go to parties and get out a lot your chances are much high,but look at me,that doesn't work for me now.And then,you can't find someone you might like at
    THAT kind of party because boys there are out to just have fun and play.

Sometimes I wonder(and many support me at this)if men are actually afraid of women who do something,who are someone.Now,I'm too young and too unwise to claim any of these,but I,as no doubtly you too,like to read,speak,make a point,give an idea,create an idea and all this.Probably boys at this age still want just a fun time.

I would tell you not to worry.You are in college now and there you will find out that sixth time is the charm(or seventh,eighth,ninth,tenth,it doesn't matter).Eventually,there will be someone that appreciates you for who you are.I often wondered if all good men are taken.In the end,I don't think they are;I think they just aren't good men yet...
    You forget that the kingdom of heaven suffers violence: and the kingdom of heaven is like a woman.
    James Joyce

It is a fatal miscarriage, so ill to order affairs, as to pass for a fool in one company, when in another you might be treated as a philosopher. Jonathan Swift

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast