Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The drunkards and drug addicts game...

Blog Entries

The drunkards and drug addicts game...

Not all poets and writers or other artist were alcoholics and drug addicts, were they?

Maybe we could take turns to add the name of an artist,poet or writer who had problems with drinking or was addicted to drugs. Try not to duplicate if possible, and give a little bit of information about how big a boozer or a drug-fiend they were.

I'll start:

Dylan Thomas. He seems to have died of a severe case of alcoholism.

The Lost One Wanders LostPrincess13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Edgar Allan Poe. His drinking caused him job appointments, engagements, were the source of marital problems and eventually became the possible cause of his death.
    CARPE DIEM! Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!
    -Dead Poets' Society

I SWEAR, BY MY LIFE AND MY LOVE OF IT, THAT I WILL NEVER LIVE FOR THE SAKE OF ANOTHER MAN, NOR ASK ANOTHER MAN TO LIVE FOR MINE.
    - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Blog Entries
    Oscar Wilde
    "never stopped smoking opium-tainted Egyptian cigarettes. A terrible absinthe-drinker, through which he got his visions and desires"

Blog Entries
    Hemmingway's alcoholism probably played a major role in his suicide. His portrait can still be found on signs and advertisements for two bars in Key West; Sloppy Joe's and Captain Tony's (the original Sloppy Joe's).

Blog Entries
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge started taking opium as a medication, as was common in his day. But he became addicted to it out of fascination of the effects the dreams had upon him when under the influence of the drug. His use of Opium cost him his friendhip with Wordsworth along with other friends and family

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by djy78usa View Post
    Hemmingway's alcoholism probably played a major role in his suicide. His portrait can still be found on signs and advertisements for two bars in Key West; Sloppy Joe's and Captain Tony's (the original Sloppy Joe's).
    Hemingway had his own daiquiri, the Papa Doble, which i think you can still order in Sloppy Joe's Key West. I think it's like a normal daiquiri but with more rum in it

Blog Entries
    Thomas De Quincey, who wrote 'Confessions of an English Opium Eater', had an addiction to opium for most of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Thorne View Post
    Dylan Thomas. He seems to have died of a severe case of alcoholism.
    Ah, poor old Dylan - a lifelong alcoholic from a very early age.

F Scott Fitzgerald, a binge-drinking alkie.

And a word for a Kiwi who I'm sure nobody else will mention, A K Grant, a great satirist and novelist whose alcoholism probably caused the fatal crash which killed him and his wife.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Cheever didn't mind a drink though i believe he cleaned up later on in life.

"I've had 18 straight whiskies......I think that's the record." The last words of Dylan Thomas always amuse me.

Jack Kerouac - died at 47 .. too much booze... think it was internal bleeding that killed him brought on by an alcohol related disease

Hunter S Thompson ... although it was probably the drink and drugs that actually kept him going
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Eugene O'Neill (amongst other problems)

Seems that in American plays most of the characters are alcoholic

I grow, I prosper Jeremiah Jazzz's Avatar
    James Joyce, everyone's favorite Irish booze hound.
    I AM THE BOY
    THAT CAN ENJOY
    INVISIBILITY.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar
    How about Brendan Behan, with his notorious drinking habits? He described himself as "a drinker with a writing problem" and claimed "I only drink on two occasions-when I'm thirsty and when I'm not") His fame grew along with his alcohol consumption, resulting in numerous drunken public appearances, both on stage and on television. This did little to improve his health, and diabetic comas and seizures befell him regularly.

He once wrote: "An Anglo-Irishman only works at riding horses, drinking whisky and reading double-meaning books in Irish at Trinity College".

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

The Body in the Library Thespian1975's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Stephen King. Read "On Writing" where he tells of his cocaine and drink problems almost costing him his marriage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast