Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you access literature?

How do you access literature?

There are several ways of accessing fiction.

Do you buy?
    Do you borrow?
    Do you loan (libraries)?
    Do you steal?
    Do you download?

As my tastes have deviated towards classic fiction, I've found that 90% of what I want to read can be loaned from local libraries, given that you can pay in the excess of £10 for a read then you're saving mullah, haven't said that: how much do you value the ownership of a book? People like to build their own book collections, personally I like to read and move on, I'm a minimalism at heart. Not to be forgotten, is the advent of the internet; people can download eBooks illegally for free (a young version of how the music industry is now geared) -- the Sony Reader has the potential to penetrate the book market offering a innovative alternative to reading books. Will we be doing this in the future?
    “Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn’t fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!”

Alex deLarge, A Clockwork Orange

Borrow from the library, or buy in used book stores.

Blog Entries
    I only buy the books that I want to keep now for two reasons 1)space, 2) money. Books are getting so expensive here some of them at AUS$50 each which is crazy. I rarely re read books so it is a bit of a waste unless you really want to keep it. I try not to steal but one of my really good friends is a librarian, she calls herself my dealer The downside to this is of course I end up with more books than I know what to do with times.

I also attend (well work at) the lifeline book fair here twice a year where the books are really keep some as low as $1 and none of $10. I get some great books and the money goes to a great cause.

Learning Not Learned Mopey Droney's Avatar
    When I was in high school and worked all the time I blew my paychecks on books, and I am very ashamed to say I sometimes did steal, though I've by now grown out of that of course. Then when I went to college and didn't have as much time to work and what little work I did do went to supporting myself I couldn't buy books if I wanted to, so I stuck with asking for them for Christmas or getting them from the library.
    "To try to be informed and literate today is to feel stupid nearly all the time, and to need help." - DFW

I love to buy through Ebay and Amazon marketplace and occassionally borrow from the library. The books that I feel I may never pick up again whether good or bad and also what I surmise as their level of wide appeal, will donate to the library too. I dont feel a need to profit off them myself unless it is a rare or sought after.

I tend to buy from reliable second hand bookshops, or online if there is something i really want but can't find. I like to reread things, and have them on the bookshelf to remember what i've read. Though lately because i'm living in a different country i have been using the library because i'll never get everything back home at this rate.

Most of what I read is borrowed from the library. I only buy books which I like very much.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Blog Entries
    Buy at book sales and Used bookshops, then trade them in when I finnish to get new books.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I grow, I prosper Jeremiah Jazzz's Avatar
    I just buy from Boarders/Barnes & Nobles for the books I want to reread over and over. Otherwise I just shop at second hand book stores, which do have some great finds.
    I AM THE BOY
    THAT CAN ENJOY
    INVISIBILITY.

I borrowed the books from the library or I buy them first hand. About 20 to 30 perecent of what I read are bought from local book stores or overseas when I am travelling. I keep few of them after reading as there is no space at home, and I give them to the library.

Blog Entries
    Buy from various stores, and borrow from the library.

Blog Entries
    I buy a lot of books;I kind of spend my allowance on books.Lately I registered on the library,but it doesn't satisfy my needs and wants,since most books in English here are only found at this big bookstore...
    I do borrow a bit from friends and family,but not as much as not to buy something every other week.
    You forget that the kingdom of heaven suffers violence: and the kingdom of heaven is like a woman.
    James Joyce

It is a fatal miscarriage, so ill to order affairs, as to pass for a fool in one company, when in another you might be treated as a philosopher. Jonathan Swift

Buy and borrow, but I am running out of space for books fast, so I only buy what I really have to. I very rarely buy new from bookshops, mostly I buy online or from second-hand shops. There's certainly no need to steal books really the cost of second-hand books are peanuts. I am not a fan of ebooks as I don't like reading anything lengthy online, though I can see the potential in the new electronic book reading devices.

The cost of certain student text books can be quite expensive but you can always re-sell them to recoup your losses if they are no longer needed.

i used to be addicted to book shops, but i have migrated to online (amazon) because it is cheaper... i suppose second hand book shops would be even cheaper but i prefer to buy new... i still visit book shops tho and nearly always buy something.. but the bulk is from amazon now

i use the uni library for reference stuff... my local library is beyond useless
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

I've been buy books lately because my local library stinks.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast