Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Lit Nets Top 100 Books Official List

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by promtbr View Post
    What Kafka said. Also, there several writers of classics I respect that say [The Demons (also titled the The Possessed depending on who did the translating) was better than all of them.
    Next on my reading list, definitely next on my reading list!
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

I've read 21 fully, and parts of about 4 Thanks for compiling list.

Metemorphosis- is that The Metamorphosis or Ovid's Metamorphoses?

How many votes did the top and bottom get? I only remember some of the titles being mentioned about once.

I fail to see how Mockingbird is better than Lolita, but I guess the list only indicates popularity. Slightly annoyed that Brideshead Revisited is so low- it's just so quintessentially English

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Crow View Post
    If you think you are quite done with Dostoevsky, think twice because you are not. You have not met Lyov Nikolayevich Myshkin or 'Prince Myshkin' yet. Read The Idiot and it will change you forever. These are life-changing books. If you think Alyosha Karamazov is good and you like him, what do you think of Ivan Karamazov? Karamazov is a BIG book in every sense. It is not about one character, it is about humanity or, on a lower level, the turbulent Russia of Dostoevsky's time. As one of the characters says, "Europeans have their Hamlets, us Russians have our Karamazovs." It is about the good, the bad and the in-between, it is about humanity showing its different facets in different characters. I like Crime and Punishment, it is Dostoevsky's Macbeth, racey, fast-paced and ruthless. I rate it below Karamazov (for its huge scope), and The Idiot (for its excellent characterization). Then there is the scandalous nameless narrator in Notes from the Underground. He is in a league of his own as well. As far as Dostoevsky is concerned, things only get better. There are no 'minor' works. Each one of his books and stories stand tall on their own merits and can challenge the best for what they are good at.
    I've read: (In order of greatness, lol)

Crime and Punishment
    The Brothers Karamazov
    Notes from Underground
    The Idiot
    Poor Folk
    The House of the Dead
    The Gambler
    The Double
    The salvation of the world is in man's suffering. - Faulkner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    I've read 21 fully, and parts of about 4 Thanks for compiling list.

Metemorphosis- is that The Metamorphosis or Ovid's Metamorphoses?

How many votes did the top and bottom get? I only remember some of the titles being mentioned about once.
    It would the The Metamophosis by Kafka

The top ten books had:

1:17
    2:14
    3 & 4:13
    5, 6, 7: 12
    8: 11
    9 & 10: 10

Most the chunk in the middle had between 8-5

Then 4-3

and after I went through all the 3's the list had not yet completed 100, so some of the very last had 2

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Muse for finally completing the list!! You put a lot of time and effort into it! Weldone!
    I've read 24 of them.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    heh, I'm proud of myself...I've read/am reading 24 .
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

Quote Originally Posted by promtbr View Post
    What Kafka said. Also, there several writers of classics I respect that say The Demons (also titled the The Possessed depending on who did the translating) was better than all of them.
    Blasphemy!!!

Demons are good, but nowhere near Crime and Punishment or Idiot.
    It's not just my personal opinion; Crime and Punishment is 1st on this list and Idiot is 26th. That's surely not a coincidence, amount of bookworms votes makes it very objective.

May I ask what classics said that?

But please, read Demons; I've finished rereading it last week and it's really great and interesting.
    Last edited by bazarov; 01-04-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycheinaboat View Post
    Just give the whiners raspberries, Dark.

Oooooo....raspberries!

Now's the time when I remember to thank DarkMuse.
    Thank you, Darkmuse!

So now I can whine more! Yay!

I find it a bit curious that out of Hesses works, Siddharta made it into the list. What about "Glass Bead Game"? "Demian"? "Steppenwulf"? Well, Siddharta was okay, but I wouldn't have thought of it as his best.

Still, I wonder what would be THE PERFECT LIST for books by those members who seem to be lit-majors or something similar.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    I find it a bit curious that out of Hesses works, Siddharta made it into the list. What about "Glass Bead Game"? "Demian"? "Steppenwulf"? Well, Siddharta was okay, but I wouldn't have thought of it as his best.
    Steppenwulf, and The Glass Bead Game were nominated, they just did not make enough to get on the list.

I have to say personally I thought Siddhartha was amazing, it is ranked among my favorites. Though I have not read much by Hesse besides that.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Great List! Seems like my own tally was right!

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise."

-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

I was rather surprised by that. Probably because I don't like "Siddharta" I was for "Steppenwolf".
    Also, I regret seeing Cunningham didn't make it. Maybe the next time
    Currently reading:
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

nice list. im new here and its my first time to post a message yehey! im familiar with almost all of the books on the list and i havent taken up any lit course yet. i wonder what happened to 'a seperate peace'
    only 9 on my shelf and the count of monte cristo is the only one i was able to finish till the last page but anyway i have all the time in the world to read all of those

this kind of list will always be opened for debate. for me, Flaubert is by far a greater author than Dostoievsky or Orwell.

and my opinion is to put into brackets the original title of the books (for example: The Stranger I guess is Camus' L'Etranger) to avoid the association the books written in English language.
    Last edited by DisPater; 01-12-2009 at 03:33 AM.
    the main idea with the books is that there are too many not worthy to be read.

Quote Originally Posted by DisPater View Post
    this kind of list will always be opened for debate. for me, Flaubert is by far a greater author than Dostoievsky or Orwell.
    Question was which is the best book, not who is the best writer.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Question was which is the best book, not who is the best writer.
    ok. "Madame Bovary" is a much greater book that "1984", "Crime and Punishment", "Les Miserables" and "Brothers Karamazov".

later edit:
    I don't want to start a discussion here about which is the greatest novel and author. I just wanted to say that this kind of list always will provoke some "talks" because we all have our own personal ways to see a book.
    Last edited by DisPater; 01-12-2009 at 10:53 AM.
    the main idea with the books is that there are too many not worthy to be read.