Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Lit Nets Top 100 Books Official List

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirin View Post
    Do you mean the "Night" by Elie Wiesel?
    Yes that is the one.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Well, it's getting close to Christmas time again. Each year it seems like Christmas sneaks up faster than it did the year before. Although the saying is usually true that "Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year", for many of us it is also the most costly.
    As we all know, this can be an extremely stressful time. If you are one of those scraping by each month just to pay your bills, the added pressure to earn extra money for Christmas can be a little much to handle.
    Making extra money is something a lot of us are worried about this time of year. With a combination of the economy, and job instability... you may be among the many searching for ways to make money this holiday season.
    christmas gifts for men, http://christmasmoney.net

So glad notes from underground made it in this list. It's become one of my favorites.

thanks for the list, is very interesting.
    Now I'll need to find some of these books to read too
    Le dieci P della saguezza: Prima Pensa Poi Parla Perchè Parole Poco Pensate Portano Pena

Nice to see my favourite book at the top of the list

Re: The Grapes of Wrath. Not only does the book stand the test of time, but so does the film. In fact, it's even more remarkably moving in our current time of economic catastrophe.

p.s. "Canterberry Tales"??

So happy Crime and Punishment is the top, what a fantastic book.

Blog Entries
    I've currently read 43 books off this list but I'm only 21 so I guess that's not bad. I'm currently reading Anna Karenina and by the looks of it, it is an excellent read thus far so I'm sure it deserves a spot on this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolescent09 View Post
    I've currently read 43 books off this list but I'm only 21 so I guess that's not bad. I'm currently reading Anna Karenina and by the looks of it, it is an excellent read thus far so I'm sure it deserves a spot on this list.
    You've read a lot for your age! And yes, Anna Karenina is an excellent book. One of my favorites. Have you read anything else by Tolstoy?

Quote Originally Posted by Adolescent09 View Post
    I went back and counted how many I've read. I've only read 37 and I'm quite a bit older than you...when I was your age I had probably only read a handful of these.

I've managed a third of the list, and am interested in about twenty others. I don't mind admitting there are some on there I hadn't heard of, and Oblomov in particular has piqued my interest.

But I've got to say that Hardy is generously represented with three novels on there, and my favourite (The Woodlanders) is sadly absent. I always enjoy his narratives, but his writing's a bit stilted at times, and I agree with Virginia Woolf when she hints that his books work despite his precarious technique:

"No style in literature, save Scott’s, is so difficult to analyse; it is on the face of it so bad, yet it achieves its aim so unmistakably. As well might one attempt to rationalize the charm of a muddy country road, or of a plain field of roots in winter. And then, like Dorsetshire itself, out of these very elements of stiffness and angularity his prose will put on greatness; will roll with a Latin sonority; will shape itself in a massive and monumental symmetry like that of his own bare downs."

Interesting list.Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain" should be in the top 5 and it isn't in the top 100. Anyway, its subjective... so good list mate.

I would like to recommend The Tin Drum by Gunther Grass - a really great book

thank you for all the work you did on the list

I'm new to this club as well as to literature. Thank you for making this list. I'm starting with number 3, and have a long way to go.