Thread: Ye Chaucer Pilgrimage Societie

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ye Chaucer Pilgrimage Societie

Greetings to all fellow litnetters:

St. Luke's suggested the idea of a Chaucer discussion a few weeks back, and given that I am heading into work on a dissertation chapter on Chaucer's House of Fame with the start of the new year, I thought this sounded like a very pleasant suggestion. So here is a new thread created for the purpose of reading and discussing the works of Geoffrey Chaucer and/or the life and times of that illustrious poet.

I thought I would first throw this out there and see what kind of response it gets and what people might be interested in looking at first. If we get a group that includes people unfamiliar for the most part with Chaucer, we could start off with a discussion of the Canterbury Tales that might be of interest to a range from those who have never read Chaucer (I teach this stuff, so I can help out people who are interested but who don't know the first thing) to those who have spent much time with him. If the parties interested in this thread are solidly Chaucerian initiates who would like to read some of the less popularly read works (the aforementioned House of Fame for example, or Troilus and Criseyde) that would be fine too. So, for the moment, just put a post in if you would like to spend some time with good old Geoff. C., and indicate what you would most like to get out of such a discussion. I'll then either organize a vote if we have a large and diverse number of interests or just set up a discussion if there seems to be a general consensus to, say, read the Canterbury Tales prologue together (or I'll start up a nice conversation with the one person who replies...whatever the case may be).

To get us started, here's a link to the Yale Chaucer site, which is one of the best out there and includes texts (the poems can also be found right here on Lit. Net), biographical and historical information, and a guide to Middle English accompanied by audio recordings:

http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/

This page at the Chaucer Meta Page site also has some good links to online resources that can help with learning and understanding Chaucer's language:

http://www.unc.edu/depts/chaucer/chenglsh.htm
    Last edited by Petrarch's Love; 01-01-2009 at 10:48 PM.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Blog Entries
    Oh wow, when you said in the new year I didn't think right on January 1st. I will participate. I need to collect my Chaucer books together. What are we reading first? Are we doing the Canterbury Tales?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Certainly count me in. I've already told you that I was reading the intriguing book, Who Murdered Chaucer, which offers some wonderful background upon the man, the era, etc... (although probably little that is new to you). I'll need to get back to it. I've recently been spending all my "spare" time in the studio working on my own artistic creations... but that shall soon come to an end along with winter break.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I love Chaucer, but have only read TCT. I love that period in history too, so would like to read anything about the man, as well as his works. I know of his background, and his adoration of John of Gaunt's wife, (if I remember correctly). We had a BBC series over here a few years ago, which was very good, of TCT, only updated to a contemporary setting. If any of you get the chance to see them, I'd highly recommend them. Incidentally they did the same with Shakespeare, and that was very good too, although I don't usually like updates. They weren't using the text though, just the stories.

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, a nice little group of three pilgrims already. Don't worry Virg., I figured I would start this up a bit early so that people would have time to run about finding their copy of Chaucer and getting in the mood for Middle English before starting into serious discussion. I probably won't be able to post anything of length for a few days until I'm back in Chicago after the 6th anyway. In fact, am being called away this minute. Until later....

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Is there still a plan to get this underway? If so, I'm in.

Blog Entries
    I think it is JBI but I think Petrarch's schedule is a problem for the immediate future. Hopefully soon.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

This is a great idea.
    It doesn't appear that discussion has commenced yet, but when it does I would certainly like to participate in this as well. I've previously read about two thirds of the Tales, Troilus and Criseyde, and a few of the earlier poems.
    I have to acquaint myself thoroughly with all of the CT this summer, so I will be reading the stuff anyway, and would be happy to read and discuss other works as well.

Please may I join this Happy Band of Pilgrims? Reading Chaucer will be something new for me - I've read The Tales for my own interest but have never studied them. For some reason the year I took A levels was the first year there had been no Chaucer on the syllabus. When I confessed that I had never studied Chaucer at the cheese and wine bash that ended my Finals year, two tutors looked at each other aghast and said 'She can't leave - we're sending her Out There with no Chaucer!' and made to shut the door, so I beat a hasty retreat before they decided they meant it! I could not have faced another year as a student at that stage.

I have the Penguin 'translation' of The Tales by Neville Coghill and an Oxford Standard Authors 'Complete Works - will that do to be going on with?

Sorry I seem to have managed to post this twice.

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Count me in as another pilgrim.

I cannot believe I've missed this for over a year. If this is still going to happen, I'm definitely in. I haven't touched Canterbury Tales since high school, but I think the Middle English I've picked up along the way will help.

I've been fostering an interest in the genre of medieval dream visions and have been checking out some of Chaucer's. Last night, I reread his Parliament of Fowls, one of my favorites. Has anyone read it and could I borrow this thread to discuss it?
    Ecce quam bonum et jocundum, habitares libros in unum!
    ~Robert Greene, Friar Bacon and Friar Bungay

As a senior in high school (1977) I had a wonderful English literature teacher.
    Her class was a survey of English lit from 14th to 19th Centuries--a great lesson.
    She was very enthusiastic about it all, and one of her innovations was to insist that we all learn to recite in middle-English some of the intro to the Tales.
    I can still remember bits of it:

And specially from every shire's end,
    Of Engoland to Canterbury they wende,
    The holie blissful martyre for to seeken,
    That him hath holpen whan that they were sicke.

Or something like that...

Off the wall reading of Prioresse

There is this woman online who posts videos of stuff she reads and she has this one reading of the portrait of the Nun in the Prologue to the Canterbury tales.I was just doing a search of Chaucer on YouTube and I found this video.

I don't think all of what she says is accurate, but she's funny and she really makes the poetry accessible, if you don't mind hearing too much about her personal life! Also, she starts out in this amusing way, but at the very end of the video, she actually cries. I won't tell you why and spoil it, but, if you have ever loved a medievalist, you will understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQvfjsY0cyE

chaucer's canterbury tales is a masterpiece and a delight to read. so far i've found none who reveals the society of his contemporary world and also the psychology of different sections of society so beautifully and i can add with a distanced stance.