View Poll Results: Your opinion on 'The Big Sleep'?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

1 33.33%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

1 33.33%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

1 33.33%

Thread: 'The Big Sleep' by Raymond Chandler

'The Big Sleep' by Raymond Chandler

Raymond Chandler’s ‘The Big Sleep’ invites you to explore the seedy underworld of murder, bribery and gambling in 1930s Los Angeles. This is the first novel in Chandler's Philip Marlowe detective saga and this is the book which helped Chandler break into the literary scene as a recognised and respected writer of literature, rather than pulp fiction.

The story starts out with Marlowe being requested by the general Sternwood for a seemingly straightforward blackmail case. However, things become a lot more complicated as the story progresses and what began as a simple case hulks into an intriguing and complicated story of murder which sends Marlowe on a voyage of Los Angeles' corrupt underworld.

The story is told from Marlowe's point of view. This is where the book really becomes alive, as with every place Marlowe visits and every person he meets, the reader is given Marlowe's own views on the case. A great example of this can be seen when Marlowe describes Sternwood's daughters: 'Vivian is spoiled, exacting, smart and quite ruthless. Carmen is a child who likes to pull wings off flies. Neither of them has any more moral sense than a cat.' Marlowe more often than not has a sarcastic and witty point to make and this really adds an extra layer to the book.

Chandler's attention to detail in the novel also has to be admired. He has a great way of describing a setting or a character in such a way that captivates the image in the reader's mind. An excellent example of this can be seen through Chandler's description of a rug: 'there was a thick pinkish Chinese rug in which a gopher could have spent a week without showing his nose above the nap'.

If you're looking for a classic crime fiction novel which strays from your norm of Agatha Christie or P.D. James, then I would say 'The Big Sleep' would be a perfect read.

Blog Entries
    Nice review Caspa. I have often wanted to read that one and never have. Perhaps some day.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Thank you very much

It is quite a good book, though I'd have never thought of reading it (or any other crime novel for that matter), until I was made to read it for my course!

Would recommend it though, I enjoyed the book a lot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caspa View Post
    Thank you very much

It is quite a good book, though I'd have never thought of reading it (or any other crime novel for that matter), until I was made to read it for my course!

Would recommend it though, I enjoyed the book a lot.
    You should read Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon. I can tell you that extraordinary.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Ah, my lecturer actually recommended that book! I've heard great things about it.

Chandler is a great writer. I have read and re-read all of his novels, I love his style, the sense of atmosphere he builds, his characterization. Lady in the Lake is as wonderful as The Big Sleep, he was at the top of his form with these two.

Oddly, with the exception of Chandler, I don't like detective novels. I've tried Hammett, his books are good, but to me Chandler rises above.

I love the movie, i guess i should have a go at the book. I've never read a detective novel, a gap that needs fillling.