Thread: This is civilization or Decadence

This is civilization or Decadence

I am confused. Is what we take as civilization, evolution, advancement of humanity? Or it is decadence, devolution and devastation?

We are degenerating or progressing? Questions crop up endlessly. We have science and technology. We are at a space age and man has pinnacled highest domes of materialism and has harnessed resources to his benefits but we are lowering our statuses spiritually. We are so much obsessed with materialism, want to articulate our faiths and are very spiteful abut others.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Why do you speak in such great sweeping generalities as if they are fact?

Believe me when I tell you that I mean no offense when I say this, but many of your posts address your readers as if your personal reality were also theirs.

In this post, for example, you suggest that humanity as a whole has regressed spiritually. How do you know this? You also suggest that we (the human populous) have reached peak levels of materialism without addressing why it might appear to be so (larger and older populations, perhaps). You can't really say each person's avarice has increased and their spirituality has decreased because you might believe it to be so.

Do you think a case could be made for better technology creating better products might actually be responsible for people buying less than they have in the past? In my personal reality this is definitely the case.

I like your ideas, I just wish you'd tighten them up a bit before posting them.
    An eclectic collection of learned behaviors.

I agree that the spreading trend of a "decaying civilization" is true for the most part, but I wouldn't call it decadence.

The world has been going in this direction since the first appearance of human beings. Some say civilization is a way to unite, to embrace people with different values and experience, while savagery, on the opposite, tears any completeness or unity bit by bit into shreds. Is it really so? I wouldn't agree.

Civilization is a way to unite. But instead of uniting the world into a whole, it differentiates people and packages people into seperate groups. That's how we got so many nations, religious groups, cultural tribes fighting against each other.

So in my opinion, it's not the technology that paralyzes spirituality. It's people's arrogance and ignorance that urge them to accept and cherish only their own values and beliefs and therefore blocking the ways of communication between each other.