Thread: Evil, What makes it up?

Evil, What makes it up?

This is a thread of many questions.

a) Is Big Brother evil?
    and
    b) How did it get this way? or Whose fault is it?

Evil is defined as something morally objectionable; causing harm or injury; charecterized by misfourtune or intense ill will or spite.

As Phillip Zimbarrdo described evil as "power gone unchecked", his prime example was The United States' prison known as Abu Grabi. This man had a first hand example of "power gone unchecked" as he was the man behind the Stanford Prison Experiment of 1971. Incase you havn't heard of it, or found out how to use Google. The Stanford Prison Experiment was where Mr.Z found 20 ordinary boys, and made 10 of them guards and 10 of them prisoners in a fake prison. The experiment was shut down after 6 days, because most of the "prisoners" had mental breakdowns, due to the "guards" being unruly violent. Beating them, dening them the use of facilities, and spraying them with fire extinguishers. "Power gone Unchecked", is this how Big Brother rose to the head of an Empire?

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein

In a thread I reccently supported a fellow forum member's claim that it is somewhat the proles fault that 1984's world is the way it is. They may complain that Big Brother is causing the bombings on Airstrip One, secretley hate that their loved ones are vaporized, and have hungry stomachs but not one of them stood up against Big Brother's rise.

For more information on the seemingly "evils" look up, "Stanford Prison Experiment 1971" ; "The Milgram Experiment (1961)" ; "The Good Samaritan Experiment (1973)"
    "Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. He is the hero, he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world."

- Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by Protaginst View Post
    This is a thread of many questions.

a) Is Big Brother evil?
    and

Evil is defined as something morally objectionable; causing harm or injury; charecterized by misfourtune or intense ill will or spite.
    I spent a while the other day arguing that BB and the Party aren't evil, but completely logical, just amoral. I'll stand by that - morality is a human construct anyway, so why not just shift the parameters?

I could cope with ruling a third of the world for a few years.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

a) Is Big Brother evil?
    No, it is driven by the want, and psychological need for power.

It's fault is it's own. They want power and land and so on and they got it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    I could cope with ruling a third of the world for a few years.
    I'd have to go with you on that one The Atheist!
    The wish to acquire more is admittedly a very natural and common thing; and when men succeed in this they are always praised rather than condemned. But when they lack the ability to do so and yet want to acquire more at all costs, they deserve condemnation for their mistakes.

-Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoi. View Post
    I'd have to go with you on that one The Atheist!
    Those who seek power in itself without the desire for the power of knowledge alone, must be regarded with the utmost suspicion. As they will no doubt restrict our freedom.
    Last edited by lukgem; 12-12-2008 at 12:54 PM.
    In Oceania 99.88% of people were happy. Orwell in his wisdom gave us the perfect system of government. Winston Smith was a paranoid schizophrenic, how could he not be happy in such a Utopian state?

Is Big Brother evil?
    Yes i think was big brother was undoubtedly evil if you take your definition, they were morally objectionable, and to rob one man of his humanity, could their be any greater evil?

As Phillip Zimbarrdo described evil as "power gone unchecked", his prime example was The United States' prison known as Abu Grabi. This man had a first hand example of "power gone unchecked" as he was the man behind the Stanford Prison Experiment of 1971. Incase you havn't heard of it, or found out how to use Google. The Stanford Prison Experiment was where Mr.Z found 20 ordinary boys, and made 10 of them guards and 10 of them prisoners in a fake prison. The experiment was shut down after 6 days, because most of the "prisoners" had mental breakdowns, due to the "guards" being unruly violent. Beating them, dening them the use of facilities, and spraying them with fire extinguishers. "Power gone Unchecked", is this how Big Brother rose to the head of an Empire?
    Excuse my lack of research but the experiment that stuck in my mind was the electric shock one, where the mark was asked to gradually increase the voltage until the unknown patient died, just because a man in a white coat with a clipboard asked them to administer it, frightening.

In
    a thread I reccently supported a fellow forum member's claim that it is somewhat the proles fault that 1984's world is the way it is. They may complain that Big Brother is causing the bombings on Airstrip One, secretley hate that their loved ones are vaporized, and have hungry stomachs but not one of them stood up against Big Brother's rise.
    The proles were free and ignorant not persecuted like the party though. The saying is something like evil spreads when good men dare not speak.
    In Oceania 99.88% of people were happy. Orwell in his wisdom gave us the perfect system of government. Winston Smith was a paranoid schizophrenic, how could he not be happy in such a Utopian state?

Quote Originally Posted by lukgem View Post
    Those who seek power in itself without the desire for the power of knowledge alone, must be regarded with the utmost suspicion. As they will no doubt restrict our freedom.
    Only if Big Brother wills it.
    The wish to acquire more is admittedly a very natural and common thing; and when men succeed in this they are always praised rather than condemned. But when they lack the ability to do so and yet want to acquire more at all costs, they deserve condemnation for their mistakes.

-Machiavelli