View Poll Results: Who is your favorite charactere in 'Lord of the Flies'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ralph

6 21.43%
  • Piggy

9 32.14%
  • Jack

1 3.57%
  • Simon

10 35.71%
  • Sam'n'Eric

1 3.57%
  • Robert

0 0%
  • Roger

0 0%
  • Littluns

0 0%
  • Lord of the Flies

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lord of the Flies: Favorites

what is a cait? thevintagepiper's Avatar
    My favorite is Simon, because of his simple, quiet "knowing," and bravery in the face of the savagery around him. Also, he helps reveal the purpose of the story, and even before that he just knows; he knows that the depravity and madness is inside of them all and it always has been.

Pretty much the same reasons stated before.
    [rebelution]-[drorings]-[love]

don't fall down.

I would definately vote for Simon because he is a representative of all those good people who are subjugated & are hurt, by this cruel world, in an attempt to bring about a change & spread some goodwill in it.
    The eternal quest of the individual human being is to shatter his loneliness.

Exclamation english homework about the book "Lord of the flies" help please!!!!

Hi everybody...
    I know, I'm not in the right section but I'm new here and I didn't know where to post it!!!

I have an english homework to do about the first chapters of the book and the 4th one.

So the question is:
    Choose one relationship that you find interesting in the first chapters (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and explain how it changes in the 4th chapter???

I've a lack of inspiration so if someone can help me... it would be great!!

Thanks a lot in advance to eveybody who will answer that!!!!

Blog Entries
    When I first read the book (age 8) I guess I just identified with Piggy. I even cried when he died. I never liked the others much anyway and I downright hate Ralph.
    Shall these bones live?

Blog Entries
    I thought it was unrealistic. I don't think the kids would kill each other like that. Civilization corrupts, but a small society like that wouldn't make them evil so quick.

Then dawns the Invisible Psycheinaboat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I voted for Simon, but my heart was really with the "littluns."

I love it when these older threads are resurrected!
    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
    - Emma Goldman

I chose Simon as many of you made the same choice. All the people here made their opinion so logically that I have nothing left to write.
    I think Simon represents religion, more particularly Christianity. I haven't seen any other characters in any books describe religious feature so clearly like Simon, so I found him interesting to think about religious things in human society.. I got strong impression of him, thus I chose him.

An interesting note on LOTF characters from a psychoanalytic point of view. The very basics of psychoanalysis state that there are three main parts of the human psyche: the id, ego, and superego. The id is the component that controls instinctive and primitive behaviors; it is driven by the pleasure principle. The ego is responsible for dealing with reality; making sure that the actions of the id would be acceptable in your environment. It balances the instinctive actions with reason. Finally, the superego is the component that contains senses of morality; right and wrong internalized by past events and society's expectations.

Jack represents the id well as he turns on Ralph and coaxes the larger group of the boys to follow him and indulge in savagery and quick gratification; discarding any sense of right or wrong that was once presented to them by their former societal standards.

Ralph embodies the superego. He refuses to give into the savage ways of Jack and his followers, believing stubbornly that his former societal standards of right and wrong must stand. He says to his remaining small group of followers that they will refuse to tie their hair back as Jack's group has done, because that is not the way they had been raised.

Lastly; Piggy, obviously, represents the ego, as he is constantly playing the voice of reason and rational analysis of the situation, attempting desperately (and futilely) to balance out Jack's savage instincts.

The three components, if balanced, theoretically create the perfect person. But, when they are distraught by great conflict... well, you know what happened.

That being said--Simon was my favorite character. His maturity and wisdom beyond his age was impressive to me, and I felt like he was easy to relate with. My favorite quote (from Ralph, hiding from Jack's cronies): "Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man’s heart, and the fall through the air of a true, wise friend called Piggy."

Matt

Bona Fide Vegan Book Worm River's Avatar
    Simon. What can I say, he's the 'good guy' if there is one in this novel.

This book is amazing. I just finished reading it in English Class. The way Golding writes is astounding, you feel right there with the boys, he makes you feel attached so it's only natural I vote for the one i felt most attached too. Simon. Simon was from the start, the one who seemed, not so much a major character, but an important character to "fill in the gaps", His death, just at the moment of his realization that the beast is not to be feared, and then the decent upon him by those savages that used to be the Choir, literally brought me too tears. I loved him. How humans can be so awful and hurtful is beyond me.

When Jack mentions " We used to have the voice of Angels!" it reminded me of Simon. They all used to be innocent, angelic children; and only Simon remained true and pure, not turning into a hunter. So I vote him. For his Truth and Perception. And his angelic personality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12