Thread: 1984 essay help....prove that Winston doesn't exist!

Exclamation 1984 essay help....prove that Winston doesn't exist!

Hi,

Here is the essay prompt.....Discuss the society of 1984, with all of the techniques for propaganda and manipulation, and speculate on Winston's life. To what extent does he exist? To what extent is he existence proof of a society that has perfected it's own claims.

My teacher told me to write about how Winston doesn't exist.....like how Winston submits to Big Brother when he cries at the end of the book... I need help on what kind of evidence to use and what is the best way to analyze it?

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearpirate99 View Post
    Hi,

Here is the essay prompt.....Discuss the society of 1984, with all of the techniques for propaganda and manipulation, and speculate on Winston's life. To what extent does he exist? To what extent is he existence proof of a society that has perfected it's own claims.

My teacher told me to write about how Winston doesn't exist.....like how Winston submits to Big Brother when he cries at the end of the book... I need help on what kind of evidence to use and what is the best way to analyze it?
    It's all explained fairly well in the book.

The bits you need are where Winston realises that the picture shows an unperson - it is the only physical proof that the man ever existed and Winston destroys it; when O'Brien advances the same argument - that he only exists because the party says he does - after Winston's capture.

See if you can work something around those - the idea that existence needs to be extrenally referenced to be at all meaningful.

Oh yeah, and your teacher's a creep. So many better things they could ask for.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    It's all explained fairly well in the book.

The bits you need are where Winston realises that the picture shows an unperson - it is the only physical proof that the man ever existed and Winston destroys it; when O'Brien advances the same argument - that he only exists because the party says he does - after Winston's capture.

See if you can work something around those - the idea that existence needs to be extrenally referenced to be at all meaningful.

Oh yeah, and your teacher's a creep. So many better things they could ask for.
    Thanks, but I have to write a 3-4 page essay. In the first paragraph, I am talking about how the Party has the utmost control over everybody and their thoughts. In the second paragraph, I am talking about how Winston satisfies those qualities (how he lacks intellectual curiosity, time transitions, and memory). In the third paragraph, I will talk about how it seems that in the book, everything has happened to Winston before, that has has already failed...etc. I will implement you suggestion in my third paragraph.

This essay is supposed to be one of the hardest in the year, so yeah.

You could pad it out a little - and please your teacher - by discussing what we mean by "existence".

That ought to be good for a page or so.

Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    You could pad it out a little - and please your teacher - by discussing what we mean by "existence".

That ought to be good for a page or so.

Can't do. He said we couldn't do any comparison about our definition of exitence and Winston's. Well thanx, anyway.

i would suggest that winston ceased to exist when (as an) almost real person up until he betrayed julia in room 101,also the last few pages where winston is in the cafe waiting for an announcement from the telescreen he is trying to solve a chess puzzle,mate in two moves,not to hard but he struggles and writes in the dust that 2+2=5,i would consider this as evidence(in the final chapters) that winston had ceased to exist.that may be where you will gain most insights into winstons return from insanity(according to o brien).
    he fights to keep his identity pretty much through the rest of 1984.
    you could also argue with teacher that there is still a grain of existence in winston as he covets the bullet that has his name right up to the end i think, knowing that this and only this will set him free.

atheist has given you a good idea,state that winston will cease to exist once the party has re-written all records to make him an unperson.o'brien talks at length on this during winstons torture.he will still exist until he is executed,in body and history,but ceased to exist with a human soul as i have said above i think.

i think teach posed this question just to make sure you read the book as it is only relevant in the later chapters,
    have a real deep session of thought,you will figure it out,the themes of 1984 run through every human life on the planet.period.
    also remember there is no wrong answer,it is all an individual interpretation of universal themes.
    Last edited by lukgem; 11-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.

In some ways, Winston ceased to exist at the end of the book because he became a part of the mindless cattle that were slaves to Big Brother and the government. His sense of self, identity, and mind died when he cried over "Oceanias" supposed victory at the very end of the book.

I would suggest to look at the topic from the perspective of understading the real purpose of Winston in the book. In addition to what The Atheist said, look at how nothing of what Winston ever does in the book matters, as his actions do not seriously affect or impact anything, and when it does start to have a meaning, party eradicates the opportunity. Therefore through manipulation and infrinement on the individual privacy party controls the society.

And just like The Atheist said, i do not see how you can write much on what your teacher told you to write about. While it might make a lot of sense to the teacher, this topic is very vague. All in all, what your teacher told you is just an advice. I think you will be better off concentrating on the original topic, as it is far easier. It is already broken down for you, so you can concentrate on both aspects of propaganda and manipulation, and show how that degrades Winston and takes away from his personality and who he is as a person (that is to what extent can he express himself, be unique, etc.) If you need one more argument you can always go to something like submission, conformity, etc..

Good Luck on your essay!

Quote Originally Posted by lukgem View Post
    i would suggest that winston ceased to exist when (as an) almost real person up until he betrayed julia in room 101,also the last few pages where winston is in the cafe waiting for an announcement from the telescreen he is trying to solve a chess puzzle,mate in two moves,not to hard but he struggles and writes in the dust that 2+2=5,i would consider this as evidence(in the final chapters) that winston had ceased to exist.that may be where you will gain most insights into winstons return from insanity(according to o brien).
    he fights to keep his identity pretty much through the rest of 1984.
    you could also argue with teacher that there is still a grain of existence in winston as he covets the bullet that has his name right up to the end i think, knowing that this and only this will set him free.

atheist has given you a good idea,state that winston will cease to exist once the party has re-written all records to make him an unperson.o'brien talks at length on this during winstons torture.he will still exist until he is executed,in body and history,but ceased to exist with a human soul as i have said above i think.

i think teach posed this question just to make sure you read the book as it is only relevant in the later chapters,
    have a real deep session of thought,you will figure it out,the themes of 1984 run through every human life on the planet.period.
    also remember there is no wrong answer,it is all an individual interpretation of universal themes.
    Winston said that he never betrayed Julia though.