Thread: The Story's Allure

The Story's Allure

What Do You Think Is So Alluring About The Story of The Phantom of the Opera?

I think that the whole allure to The Phantom of the Opera is the classic storyline of the beauty and the beast. In my opinion, Christine was a portrait of the beauty wherease the Phantom was a portrayal of the beast. In all essence, it is Christine who tames Erik enough for him to risk coming out into the open and revealing himself as a real man and not some supernatural force. Her song bewitches him as his music bewitches her. While he hides his face because of his grotesque deformity, her beauty seems enough to resonate within both of them and make him believe that he is a demon and she is an angel. In one way, she saves him from the darkness, but luring him into the light. There is a potent passion between them that seems to echo from everything from the book to the musical to the movie. There is something timeless about it.....maybe, it is its version of love.

Blog Entries

ydfkdy

i guess everyone does see the phantom of the opera in their own way, but the way it is written is not in a timeless love story or what not. i find it cruel and twisted. the auther did not portray Erik or his life in it's true light, let alone in his true life. he wrote this book to please himself and other reader's, it is twisted around completelty.
    he did love, but not christine, he did come out into the world, but not with christine, he did have a family but not with christine. he was not a monster so don't let the book decieve you or lie to you.
    keep in mind the year back then and how ppl treated each other then. you see a man not like you or me, but something you find in a circus roaming athe street's. of course they will be afraid and they will lie and retaliate and bad things will happen, and of course their is always that one girl who is all about mysterios men and will obbssess over him at all cost and do whatever it takes to get him and if she can't have then no one can. (happened) he finds this girl they fall in love and have a family, but the pscho stalker is not happy she did not get her man and her man did not want her EVER! (it was not christine)

POTO Phan
    Ok, I have to ask: Where is everybody getting this "Erik got married and had a family," stuff from? That's not in the original novel! I've read it several times, and there is not one point in that book where it says anything about him getting married.
    Or are you possibly talking about the Susan Kay novel? I wouldn't know, I haven't read that.
    Don't mean to offend. Just confused.
    P.G.7.
    Totally Obsessed Phantom Phan!

I am also a fan of: Lion King, High School Musical, Harry Potter, Disney in general, Days of Our Lives, Musicals in general, Dr. Seuss and Grinch!

Blog Entries

ydfkdy

it is very hard to offend me, but you will not find this in any book, they are all pretty much written the same. i know a small group of people who believe an know what i say to be true and the novel to be written half truth and half lies. there was never a love affair between Erik or Christine, that is where it lies. if you where Gaston and you had a chance to speak and meet the man yourself to find out the truth would you, even if you where too afraid of him cause of the stories and the superstition and so on. keep in mind how people thought in those days. so would you seek him to find the answers or would you be the writer and go off an investigation and hear say and stories?