Thread: Problem with my MA thesis

Problem with my MA thesis

I kinda have a problem with my MA thesis. I have to write one to gain a degree but I do not know what to write. I do not know English literature at all and have to write something. I am looking for an inspiration for my paper. I would like to write something connected to my hobbies, military I mean, and English literature but somehow I have a problem with the subject of my paper. Can You help me?

Blog Entries
    I also have this kind of problem~~~~
    We are friends~

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    ?? I don't know how to ask this without sounding rude, but how come you're doing an MA in English Lit when you "do not know English literature at all?"
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

I did my BA in American Culture specifically Cuban Missile Crisis. My school placed me in English literature group because there was no place in any other and now I struggling with this.

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by palito View Post
    I did my BA in American Culture specifically Cuban Missile Crisis. My school placed me in English literature group because there was no place in any other and now I struggling with this.
    You need to discuss this with an academic advisor, and see what is permissible for a shift in focus on what topics interest you. At the graduate level a student should know how to aim for an interesting thesis.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by palito View Post
    Where do you go to school? I'm shocked that a school can place you in a field outside what you wish to study.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    If its inspiration you seek, try Catch 22 by Joseph Heller or The Virgin Soldiers by Leslie Thomas. They're sort of within the military sphere, very readable, with deeper currents to explore.

But really Josany and Virgil are right, you need to get it sorted.

Why not do a paper on literary depictions of the Cuban Missile Crisis? That's obviously a general topic and not a thesis, but plenty of theses can be drawn from that. Also, it'll bring your previous studies together with your new area (?) of study.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Where do you go to school? I'm shocked that a school can place you in a field outside what you wish to study.
    Why shocked? This happens in academic institutions all the time for students who carve out non-traditional majors. It was and is the OP's responsibility to be aware of what is going on at the graduate level. If his major was merged into the institution's college of arts and sciences under English Literature, he should have raised the issue with his thesis instructor from the get-go. As Drk indicated, there are ways to emphasize the American Culture aspect. In graduate school the structure of study is primarily the student's responsibility.

If I had taken an undergraduate degree in *American Culture*, I would have explored taking my Masters in history or sociology. It might have been closer to the OP's desired emphasis.

Perhaps the OP could explain the problem more clearly.
    Last edited by Jozanny; 11-24-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: PS