Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literature about marriage and separating/ divorce

Literature about marriage and separating/ divorce

Can someone tell me literature discussing about social pressure on marriage (the society pushes people to marry someone) and separating/ divorce? I need to make an English paper about this issue. I prefer poem and short story (I don't have much time reading a novel). I will appreciate if you can tell the title and the author of the literary works.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Humm I know you said you didnt want a novel however it is a short one ( and Ill admit I didnt read it because I didnt like it ) but Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach as far as I read of it was concered sort of with that.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

I suppose you don't have time for Anna Karenina? Perhaps some sufferage-era shorts stories, The Birdcage, The Yellow Wallpaper? The only problem with all that stuff is that it always makes the woman out to be a tragic figure
    Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 11-10-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin.

biting writer
    Henry James has a short story called "The Marriages"--one of his few I haven't read, about a daughter's attempt to keep her father from remarrying--though I must caution I don't know how close it is to your meme. I'd have to think about more contemporary pieces, though my mind assures me I know of some. I will take a look in my library by and by.

It could be worth your while to go through D.H. Lawrence's England, My England.
    "He lives most gaily who knows best how to deceive himself. Ha-ha!"
    - CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
    (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

Blog Entries
    What Maise Knew by James has issues about Divorce.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

I'd second What Maisie Knew. Basically this girl's parents divorce, and each keeps her for 6th months before swapping to the other person.
    Pride and Prejudice has a lot in it about marriage.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    What every woman knows by barrie? although doesnt really involve divorce as such, just a rather differnt look at the ideals in marriage... which makes me think of an ideal husband by wilde.
    Mary Marie by Elonar H porter and Jill O' latern Hill deal with divorce from a child perspective ( In the 1920s I think) .
    I thought I had somthing in my copy of Yaffe's 1940 " an anthology of love and marraige humm acxtually I have somthing
    Byrons Epigram on my wedding-day ( to penelope) ... hmmm
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Persuation by Jane Austin has lots and I mean lots of marriage/seperating thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    What Maise Knew by James has issues about Divorce.

I loved that book in college - I did an interesting comparative between it and The Secret Garden (of all things!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cailin View Post
    I loved that book in college - I did an interesting comparative between it and The Secret Garden (of all things!)
    I couldnt finish it.......
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Thanks guys. But I really want a short story. The paper is due next week, and I have to have at least 5 stories. I can't read 5 novels in a week. So, if you can tell me a short story, I'll be so glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    I couldnt finish it.......
    Think Henry James is an acquired taste - go back to it at some point, it's worth persevering with

biting writer
    dsage: go to the library, use their periodical guide, and do some research. *Modern* short stories, from the 80's through today, are usually snapshots of something, instances, episodes. A good short story can give you inferences about relationship dynamics, but splits and separations usually require more nuanced tellings, so that tends toward the novel, or at least something longer than 4,000 words. I am more contemporary than many members here because I publish in small print run literary journals. I don't read everything in my copies, and won't pretend that I do--but you aren't going to get divorces and failed relationships in today's literary publications. I ran my head over everything I could think of, in Story, which has a nice one about disability sex I wish I might have written, and so on. It isn't there, because a short story, by its nature, has to be more episodic, like a snapshot.

You might find something in mid-20th century publications, from the 40's or 50's, but the internet doesn't excuse the need for you to do the legwork *The Marriages* btw, in Jamesian terms, is a short story, but in his case, about 16,000 words, since we are talking 19th century.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast