View Poll Results: Could God be the Creator of Evil?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 49.30%
  • No

30 42.25%
  • Not sure

6 8.45%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Did God create evil?

Everyone seems to be confusing god with being good. How many wars are started by christian america because god told them? How many people do israel murder because they are gods chosen people? How many muslims murder people because their religion dictates that they kill other religions. How many children do jews and catholics sexually mutilate and rape?

Satan on the other hand is supposedly evil but can anyone name one thing that has ever happened where that character is responsible? Not sure rock music counts of the scheme of things.

The fact is that if there is a god he not only created evil but is evil beyond belief. That people choose to worship this unstable egomaniacal creation is pathetic in this day and age. Remember he loves you but if you don't worship him he will throw you to hell to be tortured for eternity. Sweet guy.

The most amusing verse from gods book is probably Exodus 31:15.

You are very sad because you don't know if there is a God. My friend there is and he not what the churches say. He is merciful. Did they not Kill Christ too.And othe religions kill too.Moslem for one. It is people that do these things not God. We have free will. Evil is a name they put on something they don't even know the deep dark pit .
    What gets out of the trick bag is evil.Not that God chose it. He knew evil would raise it's head into the physical world so he could destroy it.When it arrived there was a war in heaven. Love maureen

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
    -- Epicurus --
    Last edited by dizzydoll; 04-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydoll View Post
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
    -- Epicurus --

He is ABLE and WILLING...
    And ALL things are according His time! He wants to give all of us opportunity to escape the fate that will befall evil.

The argument is really flawed. And for those who actually understand God, it is evident.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

A Student
    In Bien's defense, one must remember that God himself is outside of Man's dimensions; his thoughts; his ideas; his language. Perhaps it's possible that we consider God omnipotent, omniscient, loving because we fear the possibility of God being cruel, evil, malevolent. We cannot describe Him in our language because He is outside of us; any attempts to label Him one thing or another only pidgeon-holes Him to our romanticized visions of a God.

And to the poster who quoted Epicurus, who is to say God does not attempt to thwart evil through human beings? Who is to say we choose NOT to combat evil when God enables us? Your argument is invalid.

After all, evil wouldn't exist if humans like us (you included) perpetuate it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IceM View Post
    In Bien's defense, one must remember that God himself is outside of Man's dimensions; his thoughts; his ideas; his language.
    So where is your God? Where does he reside? Which GOD counts most out of the 34,000 different divisions of Christianity? Are the other 33,999 Christian believers outside of your denomination also wrong?

The long and the short of this is, if YOUR God would condemn and annihilate the whole world of differing religions, living belief systems and believers then that points to a very cruel God who I would prefer not to know, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by BienvenuJDC View Post
    The argument is really flawed. And for those who actually understand God, it is evident.
    You cannot speak for me and my understanding of God, just because I dont share your views doesnt mean I dont have my own. Its not wise to judge others before you know what their beliefs are, and even then its not your call. Its Gods call alone to make.

So again as Epicurus' quote states, if...
    Last edited by dizzydoll; 04-03-2010 at 03:18 AM.

Some of the questions and answers revolving around the existence of God are totally unclear, confusing and misleading in point of fact. I choose skepticism. I cannot say God created evil or Evil has a different existence or is God's or everybody's enemy. If God is really merciful as the Bible or other religious texts say why he is not killing the Devil. Or God wants the Devil or it is a game God chooses to play with mortals. These are some of the questions we never can answer and even if we try to answer we never become convincing.

But whether or not we know or can know debating the issue is really moving and I love the discussion.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Banned
    Everything of the creation is good. It is in harmony with everything else of that same creation. You will not find that God created compact discs although compact discs exist. And this is because the world that has come in to existence is the application or misapplication of the creation. Evil was not created. It was instead allowed. Because the creation was given choice. A product of freedom. Some choose evil instead of good. That is the source of evil. And God, knowing in advance what would be, allowed evil to exist, and allows it still, so that he, in the fullness of time, may show all of his characteristics despite evil.

Evil is therefore the perversion of good, as a lie is a perversion of the truth. And since He, the Creator, is also a Healer, he allowed sickness, in order that He might be revealed as a Healer. Likewise, he allowed evil, in order that He may be revealed as the antidote to evil. Therefore the whole of God's characteristics are revealed to mankind as a Healer, a Creator and the conqueror of evil. This known from the beginning by He who created all things.
    Last edited by Musicology; 04-03-2010 at 09:00 AM.

A Student
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydoll View Post
    So where is your God? Where does he reside? Which GOD counts most out of the 34,000 different divisions of Christianity? Are the other 33,999 Christian believers outside of your denomination also wrong?

The long and the short of this is, if YOUR God would condemn and annihilate the whole world of differing religions, living belief systems and believers then that points to a very cruel God who I would prefer not to know, thank you very much.

To your first paragraph:

If one truly believes in God then denominations are unnecessary. No one demonination is more right than any of the others because it is the fundamental view of God that is accepted and preached. While our romanticized views may pidgeon-hole what God truly his, denominational love of God is unnecessary if one truly believes. However, this doesn't mean splits in Christianity are any more right or more wrong than any others. I choose to take a non-denominational approach to Him because I feel my view of God is less biased than those of denominations; however, anyone whom participates in your "Christian splits" is no more wrong or right than me for doing so.

To your second paragraph:

Regardless of whether or not you find my God agreeable, he is a God nonetheless. You can refute the accepted views of a God all you want but that does not nullify the existence of a God; just those approaches to viewing him. Similarly, whether or not you find my God agreeable has no relevance; He is a God nonetheless, nullifying whether or not He actually exists. Sorry atheists.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for your polite reply Ice. I feel it would be much better for society worldwide if, like you, we all took a non-denominational point of view towards our interpretation of God. If this were so there would be far less conflict. I do believe there is only one God who connects all of us in Oneness, who is not outside of ourselves. However, many believe God is outside somewhere sitting in judgment of us.

A Student
    I can't figure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No I am not ever sarcastic, thats the lowest form of wit.. not at all

Were you asking me if I was being sarcastc. No I would mean no disrespect to you at all. I have been reading all your replies and they are nice. Love Maureen

"Through a glass darkly,"

Spiritabove. I guess no one read your post. I applaud this post because it cuts to the heart of the original question. The answer is that God does create evil and brings it upon people, nations, the land, cities etc, etc.
    Many believers are afraid to acknowledge this, but the Bible teaches us that God is sovereign. The devil is man's adversary, not God's. The devil can no more battle The Almighty, than a tadpole can assult an Orca.
    The problem comes in when people who believe in God attempt to reveal only a portion of his nature in order to make people feel comfortable.
    If we believe God is who the Bible teaches us that he is, we have no basis to even ask these questions. One facet: God operates outside of time. Think about that for just one moment. This one aspect of God is so mind blowingly far away from our level of comprehension that it forces man to realize that we are infinitely unable to fathom "the big questions". God has revealed to us what he has chosen to reveal about himself, through His creation and His Word.
    Big questions may be beyond us for now, because "we see through a glass darkly", but to those who believe, we are taught the we are loved by Him, and this should be sufficient to us.

I love what you wrote. Have you ever heard of the Soul Asylum Poetry or the Poetry Alliance?
    I spend most my time there. Alot of Christians there. Also Facebook. Quarter Moon is my Pen name. If you look you will find me. Thanks again for the oration and lovely piece of writing. Love Maureen