Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vastly Underrated and Unjustly Overlooked Novels/Authors

Underrated and highly criticized authors??

I always find myself defending the works of Stephen King. I think he is master at storytelling who creates believable and sympathetic characters and plotlines. Before watching the film I read the The Green Mile which I thought was brilliant that I finished it two sittings and was crying heavily at the end.
    Any other underrated or criticized authors need defending?
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Nietzsche

"The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative on the day after the revolution" - Hannah Arendt.

"Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance" - James Joyce

Currently reading:
    Bitter Fame: A Life of Sylvia Plath - Anne Stevenson

Blog Entries
    Good idea for a thread Kenikki.

J.M.Synge, i feel, has always been heavily criticised and is still underrated.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by kenikki View Post
    I always find myself defending the works of Stephen King. I think he is master at storytelling who creates believable and sympathetic characters and plotlines.
    I am with you in this Stephen King crusade!! I like his works very much and i think that some of them are already classics in their genre. Maybe his works lack the depth that other books (by other authors) have, but i really enjoy myself while reading them.

Reading a lot of posts in the forums i tend to pity Dan Brown also (just a figure of speech, since the guy is a millionaire due to his books). I can't understand what all the fuss is about. I have read the "Davinci code" and "Angels and demons". They were fun, something to read during my hot vacation in Cyprus 2 years ago (meaning hot weather ). Something i read and forget about it afterwards. They left no big impression to me, but they were fun, just the thing i needed. Anyway, what i mean is that i have read far worse books than these two.

His prose is nothing to brag about though, and his endings need a thorough edit.

Stephen King is among the greatest storytellers of the modern era.

I very much like King. As a teenager, he was my favorite author. But as I read more of his stuff, I've began to find it very hit and miss. I think he has some modern day classics that, in my opion stack up against the novels of any era (It, The Stand, The Green Mile, etc.). But he also has some stinkers. The Dark Half was one of the worst books I've ever read and I wasn't terribly fond of "The Regulators" either. And while I loved the Dark Tower series, even that had me rolling my eyes very often at some of the lame plot devices he used. But overall, the good far outweighs the bad with King in my eyes.

Definitely. King has written some terrible stinkers - Rose Madder made me check the back-cover for confirmation that it was actually written by King; I couldn't believe my eyes.

But then there is It, Wizard and Glass, Hearts in Atlantis, Four Past Midnight, The Shining, Pet Cemetery, The Long Walk, Needful Things, The Gunslinger....

Ace of Spades
    King's massive readership and automatic shoe-in bestsellers pretty much disqualifies him on both accounts.

How about the writers that help shape the man:

Charles Beaumont
    Robert Bloch
    Ray Bradbury
    John Farris (without The Fury there would be no Firestarter)
    William Golding
    Shirley Jackson
    Fritz Leiber
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Richard Matheson
    John D. MacDonald
    Edgar Allan Poe
    J. R. R. Tolkien
    Thomas Tryon
    Stanley G. Weinbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Stieg View Post
    King's massive readership and automatic shoe-in bestsellers pretty much disqualifies him on both accounts.

How about the writers that help shape the man:

Charles Beaumont
    Robert Bloch
    Ray Bradbury
    John Farris (without The Fury there would be no Firestarter)
    William Golding
    Shirley Jackson
    Fritz Leiber
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Richard Matheson
    John D. MacDonald
    Edgar Allan Poe
    J. R. R. Tolkien
    Thomas Tryon
    Stanley G. Weinbaum
    Hey! Some of these authors are neither underrated nor highly criticized. At least i think so (for example Lovecraft, Poe, Tolkien, Golding)
    Last edited by manolia; 03-27-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Weinbaum is, if anything, overrated - among those who have read him, anyway. Everybody else (with the exception of Tryon, a name I have never heard previously) gets their due.

Quote Originally Posted by manolia View Post
    Reading a lot of posts in the forums i tend to pity Dan Brown also (just a figure of speech, since the guy is a millionaire due to his books). I can't understand what all the fuss is about. I have read the "Davinci code" and "Angels and demons". They were fun, something to read during my hot vacation in Cyprus 2 years ago (meaning hot weather ). Something i read and forget about it afterwards. They left no big impression to me, but they were fun, just the thing i needed. Anyway, what i mean is that i have read far worse books than these two.
    Yeah, I agree with this completely. The guy is constantly being criticised, and it's like calm down, no one said this stuff is genius or even literature. He hasn't won anything for his books has he? Anyway, everyone knows it's just a bit of fun, page-turning pulp fiction.
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me.
    It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by F.Emerald View Post
    Anyway, everyone knows it's just a bit of fun, page-turning pulp fiction.
    I think that's pretty much true, to an extent, of all authors in the modern era. While I still enjoy some modern literature, I don't think there will ever again be another author in the vein of a Hugo, Dickens, Faulkner, etc.; if you know what I mean by that.

I used to read his books too. I liked Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. And, I've read all the 4 books by Dan Brown. They are not great but they are fun, just like those popcorn movies.

Ace of Spades
    Sorry, guys, that was a flippant remark designed to draw out some big (and some lesser known) influences.

Quote Originally Posted by F.Emerald View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this completely. The guy is constantly being criticised, and it's like calm down, no one said this stuff is genius or even literature. He hasn't won anything for his books has he? Anyway, everyone knows it's just a bit of fun, page-turning pulp fiction.
    Happy someone agrees

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast