Thread: Novel Study and Discussion Underway

Novel Study and Discussion Underway

NOTE: ANYONE WHO WISHES TO ENTER INTO THIS STUDY OF "DEMONS" CAN DO SO BY SIMPLY POSTING SOMETHING INTERESTING ABOUT THE NOVEL, ASK A QUESTION, OR SIMPLY LEAVE THEIR NAME AND WHEN HE OR SHE READ THE BOOK. WE ARE OPEN FOR DISCUSSION.

Since leaving my first post concerning a study of the novel, Demons, at least one additional reader has joined in the discussion and we are now prepared to initialize our discussion about the novel on this forum so that everyone can have an opportunity to read the post(s) and contribute to the discussion(s).

In order to start this discussion about the novel, it is obviously necessary to have at least started to read (or completed reading) the novel. Having read up to and including the chapter called "Cripple," I have not read the actual "Introduction" (although I did read the "Introductory," which is a different part of the book, and an actual part of the novel), which is probably an excellent guide to the book. My first and lasting impression of the novel to date, which differs from some of his other work, is the complexity of the sentence structure. This leaves me with varying degrees of understanding, particularly when I read "The Sins of Others."

There are a couple of questions I would like to pose to the group, at least as an introduction to this discussion: who is the main character of the novel? I am lead to believe that it is the same person who is telling us the story, although it seems to change from time to time and from chapter to chapter. What is the underlining theme of the novel? This is perhaps a complex question and it probably deserves a complex answer, but it does not present itself very well (at least from my perspective).

The purpose of this discussion group will be to "thoroughly dissect" the book, identifying all of the characters in each of the chapters, and to have a complete understanding of the characters' roles as they apply to the chapters. It is already well-known that the translator, Constance Garnett, has received a number of critical comments with regard to how she translated the material(s). Because of the ways in which the sentences have been translated, the book is sometimes difficult to understand. Such is the reason for this discussion group.

I am hoping that others will entertain this discussion and put forth their own efforts and contribute to this format. Please feel free to entertain your own question(s), realizing, first, that we are going to approach this in a chapter-by-chapter format; and it will be wise, I would think, to include the "Introductory" with this discussion.

The other reader has asked me to present this first note to the group; he will post his reply later. In the interim, I am hoping that others will be joining this discussion.

Sincerely,

Mark
    Last edited by mea505; 11-10-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Further Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by mea505 View Post
    There are a couple of questions I would like to pose to the group, at least as an introduction to this discussion: who is the main character of the novel? I am lead to believe that it is the same person who is telling us the story, although it seems to change from time to time and from chapter to chapter. What is the underlining theme of the novel? This is perhaps a complex question and it probably deserves a complex answer, but it does not present itself very well (at least from my perspective).

“Don't you want to? Then I don't want you. Good-bye, my good sir, I don't know your name or your father's,” she said, addressing me.

“Anton Lavrentyevitch . . .”
    I don't think Mr G-n is the main character, he is just a narrator; who gives his mostly objective view on happenings. Dostoevsky used the same technique in Brothers Karamazov. In my opinion, protagonist would be Nikolay Vsevolodovich Stavrogin. Why? I am not sure how far did you come

Underlining theme would be that quote from Bible, if you have it in your book; it gives pretty clear writers opinion about story and its characters. If you have it. If you don't (there is no such thing in forum etext), I can write it here.

What do you think about Shatov?
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Demons

Currently, I am in the middle of "The Subtle Serpent." I have not read as far as you have, although I did read further in the book with respect to another translator; but I put that book to the side, as it was not providing me with any more of an undertanding than the one I am reading now.

With regard to Shatov, (and if G_N is not the main character, but only the narrator), then it is quite possible that he will become the main character. I am not sure. It will take time to completely understand.

Would you like to take this by the chapter? I would like to (first) discuss the "Introductory." If that's something that you also prefer, let me know.

M-----

G-n is narrator's surname; Stavrogin is the man, not Shatov; read carefully.
    If you like it that way, we can go chapter by chapter.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.

You are so right! I just got the two names confused.

Yes, going from chapter to chapter, at least to cover the high points, will be the best means of doing this, I think. There are some parts that were difficult to understand completely. I must confess, however, that since last week, I have not read any of the book because I was waiting for someone, like yourself, to enter the conversation and the forum.

I will review some of the material and get back to you on this forum later, probably on Monday.

M---

Where are you in the novel, "Demons"

Because of the study that we are undergoing (hoping also to attract more readers and more participation), I went back to the beginning of the novel and started to re-read the text. I am now almost completed with "The Sins of Others," which represents Chapter 3. I received "part" of a private message from you this morning, however, with no text.

By re-reading the material, I have found that I understand it a lot better than when I first read the novel. However, I am confused with respect to "The Sins of Others" and would like to initiate a discussion, specifically about this chapter.

Mark

Starting with "The Cripple"

I have just completed "The Sins of Others" and will now start (to re-read) "The Cripple," which is chapter 4. For starters, I have but one question (and this note will most likely be edited later):

Why does the author continue to call Mr. G___n? Why not use his entire name? Is there any significance in not spelling out his entire name?

Mark

There is no significance, that was often used in Russian literature; when writing names, no matter personal names or names of cities or gubernias ( small district, don't know what would be appropriate translation).

Surnames

Thanks. That clarifies it for me.

-- Mark