Thread: Why is Jane feeling "the pang of remorse and the chill of reaction" on page 39-40?

Why is Jane feeling "the pang of remorse and the chill of reaction" on page 39-40?

Hi
    I am doing my GCSE Literacy essay on Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I finished my essay and my teacher marked it and gave it a B grade. She said she will improve it to a A Grade if i explain Why was Jane feeling "the pang of remorse and the chill of reaction" on page 39-40?

I have been trying figure them out for the last 3hours or so but i still haven't manage to write 2/3 proper paragraph yet.

So If any one can tell me why Jane was feeling "the pang of remorse and the chill of reaction" on page 39-40, please tell me.

thanks in advance to whoever that can help me.

Remorse is clear, I suppose? What she feels after speaking to her aunt like that... Altough she said she hates her, she feels a little remorse because 'it ought not to be like that'.

Chill of reaction:
    I think the chill lies in the fact that fire=passion. In her speech to Mrs Reed, she showed a lot of passion=fire. The 'reaction' she feels after (when 'the throb accelerated throb of [her] pulses' goes down) is a chill as opposed to the fire of passion.
    'reaction' is not to be taken literally, but rather like a chemical reaction: 'what happens after we do this or that'.

Does this make sense and can you get anywhere? I am sure you could write a nice paragraph with it...

Please remember next time not to state the page but the chapter. We all have different editions of the same novel and pages are different...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

yes it does help e a lot. i think i can write about 1page of it with what you said. thanks again.

PS : don't really get about what you said on my other post.