View Poll Results: Are You an English Literature Student?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am one at the moment.

31 43.06%
  • No but I studied English Literature at universtity.

18 25.00%
  • No.

23 31.94%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone with an English Language and Literature Degree

Are you an English Literature Student?

Hi everyone,
    I'm a new member here :oops:
    I'm interested in English Literature,
    I wanted to ask you this question to see if you are obliged to read literature or you love it!
    Because I really love English Literature but I don't study it,,,and I wanna be better at understanding it...how can I?
    And how did you become a good English Literature reader?specially if your native language is not English?
    When you want something, all the universe conspires to help you achieve it.
    -The Alchemist-

Yes, I am an English student, I took few literature courses and I am fond of it, my major is education, but I just love literature more ...
    We meet no Stranger, but Ourself .
    Emily Dickinson

I will be beginning my major in English next Monday. I'll be obliged to read literature but at the same time I love it. All of my classes deal with the same kind of books that I read for fun.

I think probably the best way to understanding English literature is practice. It might also help to do a little research on the author and the setting that they lived in. Oh, and discussing the books on a site like this also helps a lot!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

I'm an english literature student in the sense that I'm taking AP Literature and Composition in high school. I've loved high school english so far (honors up to this point) because we actually read good literature, and classic stuff too, not just novels written in the last 50-100 years or so. But I read a lot on the side, too; I finished Something Wicked This Way Comes earlier this summer and it was really good, Bradbury is king.
    Il y a a parier que toute idee publique, toute convention recue, est une sottise, car elle a convenu au plus grand nombre.

Do you all plan to teach when you get out of college, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by AbdoRinbo
    Do you all plan to teach when you get out of college, or what?
    Yes, I do. I'd like to start teaching at the high school level, while taking courses to eventually earn a PhD. I know that's a lot of work even just to be a high school teacher, but we don't have any children yet, and it's only a plan anyway. 8)
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Shea, I hope you do get your PhD, that's something I've always wanted
    to do but I don't know how I'd ever afford that much education. Besides, while I'm good at reading and understanding literature I'm not so good at writing about it. In fact I'm procrastinating right now!

Chrissy

Teaching literature would get really boring after a while, if you ask me. Just how much do you expect to learn from a bunch of 15 year-old kids? Granted, I think that sort of education is important, but I always felt sorry for English teachers; they were either bored out of their minds (and those were the truly inspired ones) or they were on a caffeine kick and were too emotionally overwhelming to 'educate'.

I study Languages at University and thankfully Literature is a part of it... I like studying literature even if of course I don't like everything...

I DON'T want to teach... Actually after a bit of thinking I realised recently that I wouldn't mind teaching a language to adults, workers or such... never-ever make me work with kids, I'd only make the teenage-mortality rise!
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy
    Shea, I hope you do get your PhD, that's something I've always wanted
    to do but I don't know how I'd ever afford that much education. Besides, while I'm good at reading and understanding literature I'm not so good at writing about it. In fact I'm procrastinating right now!

Chrissy
    I'm proud of you anyway, Chrissy.

Quote Originally Posted by AbdoRinbo
    Teaching literature would get really boring after a while, if you ask me. Just how much do you expect to learn from a bunch of 15 year-old kids? Granted, I think that sort of education is important, but I always felt sorry for English teachers; they were either bored out of their minds (and those were the truly inspired ones) or they were on a caffeine kick and were too emotionally overwhelming to 'educate'.
    Well, I don't want to be the one necessarily "learning" when I become a teacher, that's the student's postition. But I do want to have lots of discussions with them about the books we study. I always had wonderful English teachers. I don't know, maybe it had to do with the fact that I went to an art school, but my teachers were able to invoke a real passion for literature in me. The weird thing was is that I got most of that passion after high school, when I started thinking about those classes that I took.

I have one year left to go before I get my Bachelor's in English. Then I plan to take a year off and then apply to library school. I don't have to patience for teaching, but I think I have aptitude for librarianship.
    Nullus Anxietas

Grand Equal of Heaven
    Like Blackadder said, I really don't have the patience to teach other people. I think teaching English would ruin it for me, constantly dissecting great novels and poems year after year (with an unchanging syllabus)...I hate bashing literature to death even as a yet-to-be-educated student. I'd be a terrible teacher, as well.

I actually don't think it would bother me to study the same literature year after year. For one thing, I love re-reading books. Also, I remember in High school and college acting in plays was one of my favorites. Some of the other actors would get annoyed because we'd be doing the same thing over and over and over again everyday for a week sometimes two for performances. But I loved it. To me it was always different every night because the audiences would react in different ways. I guess that can be comparable to teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder
    I don't have to patience for teaching,
    Quote Originally Posted by Munro
    Like Blackadder said, I really don't have the patience to teach other people.
    I have plenty of patience for teaching. What I DON'T have patience for is all the mindless rigamarole, plolicies, rules, "see this person", "see that person", garbage and torture that they put you through just to go to school to be a teacher! :evil: :evil: :evil: Oh, and I just found out that there is nothing I can do with a BA in English. I have to go straight for my masters. There is no teaching highschool and going on to the college level. But if they had any competant advisors there to tell me that in the first place I wouldn't be so upset! I don't mind studing longer to get my masters, but I was expecting to be able to work after the first two years! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm sorry for ranting, I've had a really rotten day and had to express it somewhere.

Oh, and I also hate it when a doublefaced employer will poison someone's mind with fancies of "one day owning the store!" all the while delaying her applying for school so long, that by the time she's allowed to register, every class in her major is full!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Why do I listen to idiots!!

Sorry once again!

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast