Thread: Percy Shelley's Ozymandias

Percy Shelley's Ozymandias

Just out of curiosity, how many different interpretation of Shelley's Ozymandias are there? What is your interpretation? What is the most unusual view of the poem?

The reason I asked this is because my entire Brit Lit class had pretty much the same explanation to the poem, and I was wondering about other opinions.

what is your interpertation?

I think it's talking of pride and how useless hubris really is. Other thoughts?

The poem is actually supposed to be about a ship called the Ozymandias, in which was named after Ozymandias, the Greek name for Ramses II of Egypt from the 13th Century A.D. He had a 'slogan', I guess you could say that was inscripted on the largest statue in Egypt: "I am Ozymandias, king of kings; if anyone wishes to know what I am and where I lie, let him surpass me in some of my exploits."

6,123 - last I counted anyways.

Wink If you like so

Quote Originally Posted by dilly_bar2004
    Just out of curiosity, how many different interpretation of Shelley's Ozymandias are there? What is your interpretation? What is the most unusual view of the poem?

The reason I asked this is because my entire Brit Lit class had pretty much the same explanation to the poem, and I was wondering about other opinions.
    Ok.It's that simple.Go check this link: btb-tv.com/chomkoshelley/basic%20eng.html or alternatively, concerning P.B.Shelley's "The Cloud":btb-tv.com/chomkoshelley/cloud%20gogetit%20eng.html
    Then if you have comments - share them.

Question know me!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanna say hi 2 all the members of the forum.

I am a spanish girl that studies in spain, in a british school...maybe the interpretations that i give to most of the poems are not what you expected!! could be language matter....any mistakes in spelling...i am sorry, but not being my native tongue,i find it hard...i would be pleased if anyone wanted to discuss with me any of the meanings to the poems tha i am currently studying or if perhaps they are interested in spanish poetry! ozymandias....in my opinion and reading about shelley´s background (in reference to the bulling) is about power, how people...act despotic , over others without any rights and even being inferior...as the "king" is just a broken statue that looses all what it was....and seems ridicule in the middle of such a big "ecosystem"....the sand!....even though he is not in the position he doesn´t surrender to show some humility...but offers us the smirk...on top of being patronising he is cold-which implies that the despotism is not part of a really strong character or too much vanity but something cruel that his spirit,statue,and memory holds tightly! like the poem....tightly