Thread: Which do you recommend to be taught first: Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet?

Which do you recommend to be taught first: Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet?

Which written play by Shakespeare do you think should be taught first to children in English class: Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet?

I was also wondering why Romeo and Juliet was introduced to us so early in elementary school yet Macbeth isn't taught till high school, seeing how they are both pretty violent plays, and while Romeo and Juliet deal with romance and love in a rivalry situation, Macbeth deals with human ambition and the corruption of power.

Neither. Titus Andronicus should be taught.

But in all seriousness: I wouldn't worry so much about the violence in Macbeth because to be caught up in that play's violence is to miss the major themes of the play.

Teach what you feel students would comprehend better. Although Romeo and Juliet features youthful protagonists, its most intriguing character (Mercutio) spurns love and the play ends a dead note.

Macbeth, as a play, is undoubtedly better than Romeo and Juliet and features Shakespeare as a more developed writer, comfortable with his abilities in blank verse. Macbeth was the first Shakespearean play I read as a child (in 8th grade), and I found the idea of a villain as the protagonist greatly compelling. Macbeth, for me as a child, was infinitely more compelling than the relatively sobby story of two star-crossed lovers.

I would go with Macbeth.

Blog Entries
    I like the question, I'm not sure why the choices are limited to these two. Personally, I would select one of the comedies to teach to children first. Something like As You Like It or A Midsummer Night's Dream is a good introduction to the language and characterization of Shakespeare's work. But that's not your question.
    Of the two, Romeo and Juliet is probably more popular, the story is simpler, the violence less profound and brutal. However, given a choice to teach a tragedy, I'd still start with Hamlet over either of the two you have offered up here. But of the two you have offered up, I like MacBeth.
    No damn cat, no damn cradle - Newt Honniker

Romeo and Juliet. It is far more accessible to people just starting to study Shakespeare than Macbeth is. I think traditionally most people used to start with a comedy, or Julius Caesar because they are easier to get used to. Even Romeo and Juliet contains some difficulties of language, for instance, I don't know how many people caught all 3 puns in Tybalt's first line the first time around.

Blog Entries
    I agree with those who said "Romeo and Juliet". I was introduced to that play, when I was young and I loved it. I knew nothing of Shakespeare then. I think it is much more accessible and appeals to youth. I don't think MacBeth would do that. I agree - when you graduate to a completely mature tragedy, I would pick Hamlet over Macbeth. Hamlet has a love story interwoven, even though Ophelia is rejected. I think this element would appeal to youth, much more than Macbeth. Macbeth is too violent and forget about Titus - that is a bloodbath! I love Shakespeare, but I could not stomach that play, when we started to discuss it on this forum.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry