Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in ...?

Do you believe in ...?

Do you believe in the existence of Soul?

And if you do .. who gets to control it ?.. Is it us ? our bodies , or God?

You are your soul ! and when you soul is taken away you die.
    Many people don't know what is soul? .. others deny it existence .

So lets share our ideas......
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

Blog Entries
    I'm a very blunt and bold kind of guy, i do not believe in a soul

We are in control of our actions, one life, one legacy. The entire ideology of having something inside of us that leads us to become "evil" or "good", i believe is entirely religious. And also leads to the 'life-after-death' concept. I would like the idea of reincarnation actually...although my view is that once you die, you are nothing.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I believe in the soul. The soul is the living spark of the body. The difference between a live and dead body is the soul. The individual soul is present in a body, and is conscious of the whole body, and there is also the Supersoul, which is present in the heart of every living entity, and is conscious of them all.

You are right that we are the soul. We are conditioned to think we're nothing more than the body, however. The soul is the highest part of us, below that is intelligence, mind and the senses. If someone is uncontrolled, the senses will control the mind, if they are self-controlled, then the mind controls the senses. Then the mind can also direct towards unintelligence or intelligence, if it is controlled by intelligence. And then if the intelligence follows the soul, then one will live perfectly, and spiritually. All else is material; even if it is in goodness, it is still material goodness, but trasncendental to that is the spirit soul.

Blog Entries
    I belive in the soul that that the essence of all that we are is contained within the soul. The body I view is just a vessel which holds the soul within. I belive that we are in control over ourselves and our soul. Being a reincarnationist I see death as being just a transistional phase, when the body no longer is able to contain the soul, when it has been worn down by the years, then the soul leaves it and the body "dies" becomes just an empty shell, while the soul will move one again into a new vessel.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

it is what it is. . . billyjack's Avatar
    the soul isnt in the body. the body is in the soul

The soul is what is said to hold the body. When the body dies the soul is said to die.

It is said that the soul is immortal but the body is not. That raises a question, a doubt in mind. If the soul is really immortal why will it escapes the body if the body is not maintained.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

When the body dies the soul is said to die.
    when the soul is taken then the body dies.
    the body is created .. and then the soul is put in ..
    so that makes the soul in the body not the opposite.

there are many religious and philophosers concept regarding that
    but i would like to take an example of the ISLAMIC religion

In part 15 verse 29, the creation of humans involves Allah "breathing" souls into them.
    we understand that Allah assigns an Angel to "breathe" soul into an embryo after 40 days of pregnancy

The non-physical ( i.e the soul and physical is the body )aspect, namely the soul, is one's soul-related activities like his/her feelings and emotions, thoughts, conscious and sub-conscious desires and objectives. While the body and its physical actions serve as a "reflection" of one's soul, whether it was good or evil, and thus "confirms" the extent of such intentions

the soul isnt in the body. the body is in the soul
    i agree billyjack

We are in control of our actions, one life, one legacy. The entire ideology of having something inside of us that leads us to become "evil" or "good", i believe is entirely religious.
    well it might be religious but it exist .. and in fact that is what leads us
    so.. u can't separate religion from ur life coz its part of it.
    And the existence of the soul is one part of that

You are right that we are the soul. We are conditioned to think we're nothing more than the body, however. The soul is the highest part of us, below that is intelligence, mind and the senses. If someone is uncontrolled, the senses will control the mind, if they are self-controlled, then the mind controls the senses. Then the mind can also direct towards unintelligence or intelligence, if it is controlled by intelligence. And then if the intelligence follows the soul, then one will live perfectly, and spiritually. All else is material; even if it is in goodness, it is still material goodness, but trasncendental to that is the spirit soul.
    your right Nikolia.. thx alot for ur comment and for clearing it.

I would like the idea of reincarnation actually...although my view is that once you die, you are nothing.
    Being a reincarnationist I see death as being just a transistional phase, when the body no longer is able to contain the soul, when it has been worn down by the years, then the soul leaves it and the body "dies" becomes just an empty shell, while the soul will move one again into a new vessel.
    DARK MUSE , TheInsomniac .. guys all this concept of reincarnation is a bit superstitious.. there is no such thing as that.. or u can say that there is a limited reincarnation.

"How can you deny God, when you were dead and God gave you life? Then God will cause you to die, and then revive you, and then you will be returned to God."(Quran 2:28)

there is only one death.. and when that happens the person gets to be judged for his doings.. either he'll go to heaven or suffer in hell..

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    I am confused by your statements... such as:

DARK MUSE , TheInsomniac .. guys all this concept of reincarnation is a bit superstitious.. there is no such thing as that.. or u can say that there is a limited reincarnation.

"How can you deny God, when you were dead and God gave you life? Then God will cause you to die, and then revive you, and then you will be returned to God."(Quran 2:28)

there is only one death.. and when that happens the person gets to be judged for his doings.. either he'll go to heaven or suffer in hell..
    You are stating this as though it is fact? I mean you can have faith in your own ideas, but to tell other people that there is no such thing as reincarnation because it is not in your religion... well you can think there is no such thing as reincarnation, but others may have faith in the idea that there is, so who is to say which idea is right... there is no way to prove it...

secondly the idea of dualistic creation, with the existence of separate entities as good and evil, with the idea of heaven and hell.. that provides that there can never be harmony in this universe... read the chapter "mutiny" in TBK by Dostoevsky, Ivan has some quite interesting ideas on this subject... and again you will find many religions with no dualistic ideas on good and evil, on creation, on the sources of existence and the afterlife...

religions like buddhism are great because they say there are many paths to nirvana/god... they are accepting of all people, of all faiths... when it comes to faith no one has a claim to the truth.... so it is kind of pointless to quote the Quran as proof of a religious idea being correct.. I mean you can quote it as part of your faith, as a reason for your faith in that idea.. but as proof it is irrelevant to anyone who is not islamic...

same with telling someone who is an atheist that they can't separate religion from their life because it is part of it, and the soul is part of that... can you prove this? or again this is just an opinion... stated as though it is fact...

all I am saying is you can have faith, and that is all fine and dandy, but you cannot tell others that your religious beliefs are fact for everyone... for the simple reason that they aren't and never will be...

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    I don't know.

I'd have to check the origin of the word ... In Portuguese, there are two words that are commonly mistaken for each other: alma (Lat. anima) & espírito (spiritus). Alma has to do with life, and espírito with meaning and wind. I used to question whether espírito existed, but it was until I went into Languages & Literature studies. I can't deny the existence of any existing word, be it soul, spirit, god ... The way you use them, however, will vary.

I think I used to be a fool in denying the existence of meaning for each of these words ... Now I accept that at least the words (names) exist. And they exist for naming something. There's a reason for each of them to exist, whether I "put" them in my dictionary or not.

Tricky subject, aye? ...

librarius

biting writer
    I do not believe in a soul that goes to heaven, unifies to god and happily fawns there for all eternity, nor do I believe in souls in anguish that sizzle and flail in hell in a farce on toasters; I don't quite buy Dark's reincarnation sensibility either, except that it stems in large part from life's ability to recycle on a huge piece of stable rock.

However, I do not deny that soul may exist--but I think human evolution may have fashioned them on its own, possibly in the way Foucault envisioned it. I will have to think about it, as I am a slow student on Foucault, fed by my attraction to his methodology more than a clear understanding of his deconstructing thesis of physical manipulation which served middle class pretension.
    Last edited by Jozanny; 10-27-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: pronoun

Blog Entries
    I've heard it said before, that there are so many paths to God, but is this true? If I buy a ticket for Chicago, I will not go to New York. Similarly, if I take up sinful activities, I will not go to God but into ignorance. Buddhism also says if you wish to understand the causes of the past, examine the results in the present. Cause and effect applies-- if we act wrongly or unintelligently, we will suffer. But if you act in goodness, and more so, in devotion and surrender to God, then your heart will be purified, your past reactions cleansed, and you will return to God. But only if you make God the center of your life, thoughts, actions, etc.

Simply-- some actions would purify your heart and take you closer to God, whereas other actions, harmful to yourself, others, etc. would do the opposite. Lead you to suffering, ignorance, darkness, etc.

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    oh I agree.. but there are many paths with different actions that "would purify your heart and take you closer to God".... to say there is only one path is to say that only one person can become close to god.. because even if one follows the same religion, one's path will be slightly different from everyone else in the religion... everyone has a unique and different path to realization, enlightenment, understanding.. this is because everyone is unique and different...

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoope View Post
    Do you believe in the existence of Soul?

And if you do .. who gets to control it ?.. Is it us ? our bodies , or God?

You are your soul ! and when you soul is taken away you die.
    Many people don't know what is soul? .. others deny it existence .

So lets share our ideas......
    Question #1. Is there "soul"?
    answer ... if there's a word (noun) for it, there's a meaning for it, therefore, yes (...)

Question #2. Who rules it?

Your question nb. 2 makes me think that you needed not question nb. 1 ...

It depends on the teaching. In my belief, souls aren't ruled, but they subject themselves to someone. To gods ... Whichever god. Souls are followers. They need to follow someone. This is according to what I've been taught, though. Probably someone will disagree, and have their own ... gods. &/Or/Besides opinions. Some will follow external gods (here enter sacred texts), some, their own opinion. This is a very simplistic answer. There's no way I wish to answer this but simplistically. As well as I don't intend to defend this in or with discussion. I'll make my efforts, though to hear other opinions, but I admit: quite possibly I won't have the patience for doing so.

libr_q

Blog Entries
    I strongly believe in the soul. It is a matter of faith, and the more spiritually attuned you are to all living things, the more likely you are to recognise the essence of soul in all living things. All souls are part of a universal soul, and therefore I don't believe they are ruled by anything/anyone other than God. I do believe in free will, so I don't know that I would accurately say that God rules them, rather he permits.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by islandclimber View Post
    I am confused by your statements... such as:

You are stating this as though it is fact? I mean you can have faith in your own ideas, but to tell other people that there is no such thing as reincarnation because it is not in your religion... well you can think there is no such thing as reincarnation, but others may have faith in the idea that there is, so who is to say which idea is right... there is no way to prove it...

secondly the idea of dualistic creation, with the existence of separate entities as good and evil, with the idea of heaven and hell.. that provides that there can never be harmony in this universe... read the chapter "mutiny" in TBK by Dostoevsky, Ivan has some quite interesting ideas on this subject... and again you will find many religions with no dualistic ideas on good and evil, on creation, on the sources of existence and the afterlife...

religions like buddhism are great because they say there are many paths to nirvana/god... they are accepting of all people, of all faiths... when it comes to faith no one has a claim to the truth.... so it is kind of pointless to quote the Quran as proof of a religious idea being correct.. I mean you can quote it as part of your faith, as a reason for your faith in that idea.. but as proof it is irrelevant to anyone who is not islamic...

same with telling someone who is an atheist that they can't separate religion from their life because it is part of it, and the soul is part of that... can you prove this? or again this is just an opinion... stated as though it is fact...

all I am saying is you can have faith, and that is all fine and dandy, but you cannot tell others that your religious beliefs are fact for everyone... for the simple reason that they aren't and never will be...

i may disagree with the point of Reincarnation.. but you have the right to believe in whateva you want.. but its all about giving your opinion about the subject & reading other view as well..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast