Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching English

Unhappy Teaching English

I have started teaching English as a second language to 11th grade students, not as a formal teacher but more like additional, something, I don't really know what...

They know English well enough to listen to music, read Harry Potter ( never the less none of them read it in English, I asked),and buy shampoo but the work is not nearly finished.

I'm supposed to cover Grammar, oral and writing skills.

The good thing is that I'm free to choose the topics most of the time, this time though the people above me chose it for me!

"The Taming Of The Shrew"!
    I am to prepare them for a play they are going to see- "Kiss Me Kate". I am supposed to teach them something and also give a writing task.

Any Ideas?

Hmm... well, suicide is a coward's way out.... let me think....

I KNOW!

See if you can find the TEXT for the show/script of Kiss Me Kate.

Then, bring the text into your word processor. Go through and pick out what seem like the 100 most challenging vocabulary words..... also pick out 20 idiomatic phrases ...

Test them, drill them on the 100 word vocabulary.

Go over the idiomatic phrases.

Print out copies of the script.

Have them read it BEFORE they see it, and have them write a summary of the plot in English.

This link may lead to the script download, but you may have to pay something for it, not certain:

http://www.geocities.com/maverickscripts/TVP.htm

I will keep searching

These downloads may help:

http://www.keywords.com.ru/dir/Arts/...Kiss_Me,_Kate/
    Last edited by Sitaram; 02-07-2005 at 03:02 PM.

I think 100 is too much, the most you should ever give (according to the British Council) is something more like 20.

I'm gonna clean my room and try to think of something to add to Sitaram's suggestion which is quite good.

Hey, if its so good, you should reward me and clean up my room too!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I am not sure what the first language of your students but starting by concentrating on the fact that languages change could be a good idea: old words vs new ones. And give some examples from their native language as well. While considering this aspect, they will learn many new words introduced in the text.
    As writing assignment, you could ask them to write some parts of the play? They can express the same notions and emotions using their own words. And later on try to act out their version.
    Also, either in small groups or individually, they could try to add another scene to the play, showing how Katherine and Petruccio's lives would be like later on.
    I am not sure if you are aware but '10 Things I Hate About You' is a version of 'the Shrew'. Considering your students' age, I think they might enjoy this movie.
    I wish you best of luck and enjoyable moments with your students. Do come back and let us know how it has gone, please!
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 02-07-2005 at 03:01 PM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

In 1971, I taught myself Greek in one year, in my spare time, by having a native speaker tape record a passage worth memorizing, ... then I would memorize it until I could recite it with ease and comprehension. Then I would memorize something else. After 6 months, I had my first dream in Greek. I did spend 5 hours per day, I suppose.

Thanks, I was just thinking about '10 Things I Hate About You' . I'm mostly looking for thing they will not do in class, like creative eriting and discussions.

Ha! I haven't finished cleaning my room, therefore I haven't thought of anything else. However, what you say is true. There is nothing that I disliked more than creative writing (unless it was homework then I could think) but I especially hated group discussions. If you have them discuss "whatever" before they see the play, forget it, you're looking to just waste your time and theirs. I think it will be easier if you just set an objective first: what do you want them to learn? Spelling, vocabulary, grammar? It'll be easier to design a lesson plan if you have a clear objective first.

The writing activity doesn't necessarily have to be creative writing. It is possible to design a controlled activity without making it too easy for your students. Also, it will be so much easier for you to grade it. Believe me, I hated, hated, HATED grading compositions. Really, I don't think I was sufficiently clear on how unpleasant it can be. Although, come to think of it, you might end up with some very funny ones (those totally make the pile worth it).

I'm not their formal teacher even though I work during school hours. They don't like English studies an fear them. So I'm supposed to to things different from what other teachers do to give them some motivation....
    So almost everything must be done in class, i can give homework but not something very hard or time consuming.

I'm part of a program to advance education among "week population"

week population? or "weak"??

Weak, but posting a whole new post for an "a" seemed like a waste to me...
    I should have done it because now we have at least two.

Dont forget, you may also use the EDIT feature, to change what you have posted. If you had really intended to say "week population" I would have visions of the blind leading the blind, and all that sort of thing, so I am glad to hear it is just a "typo."

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    A 'week' population: a population occupying a spatial/geographical location continuiously for 7 periods of 24 hours only.

Please, I think I got the point!

So, one CAN teach and old (green) dog new tricks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast