Page 1 of 63 1234561151 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I believe in God?

Don't worry, Be Happy

Why I believe in God?

I begin with why I think certain people do not believe in God. Then I will write about why I still believe in God.

One main reason why some people do not believe in God is that they do not find a direct proof of God. Today science has changed the way people live and think. People have tremendous faith in science and science shows concrete results, often magic like. Science goes by pure logical evidence and God does not seem to fit there as a loving father capable of performing any miracle. The idea that someone is controlling everything in the universe does not seem to ring true to these people.

Secondly, God is supposed to be omniscient, omnipresent and omni-powerful, but the control of real world seems to be in hand of other people. Injustice, cruelty, corruption and poverty are often evident in social life and many times wrong people seem to be controlling affairs or enjoying life. At the same time, some good people undergo great sufferings without any fault from their side. However, the all-powerful and just God who is also said to be a benevolent father seems to pay no heed and appears completely passive and indifferent.

Now, why I begin believe in God.

When I was young, my parents believed in God and so we followed those religious practices and I thought that a God is there. As we grew up and gain experiences, we begin to reason and apply logic to God. I think believing in God provides a comfort. Believers, have something to fall back upon - something to cling to in case of adversity or after we die. However, is this comfort feeling has a basis in fear for unknown? Alternatively, can we apply some logic to it?

If we consider things from scientific point of view, we find that everything in nature, right from a simple leaf to a blue whale or to just whatsoever else we can think of has a beautifully planned system. You can take an atom or nucleus of an atom or Sun or other stars or the galaxies in our universe, there seems intricate planning in everything. Science only has discovered this beauty of nature and scientists marvel at it. Here we have to choose: Whether it is God or some higher Power, or everything just evolved slowly with time by itself starting with a big bang, as whoever has heard about it keep saying. Choosing God as I did, many questions are still left unanswered but that is where the faith comes i.e. just going by what your heart says.

Coming to the second aspect, yes, I agree the real world is not exactly like we desire. But why does not God intervene then. Well, I think, if God starts intervening directly, smacking all the wrong persons, then world may improve very quickly but world would become very automated, dull and without spice. Second, if you believe your are eternal beings or in the reincarnation theory as I do, then eventually everything is going to fit- at its own pace. The world is a learning playground for us and God with his wild humor has His own plan for each one of us.

Well, to start with, I have given few main reasons why I believe in God. I hope other readers may give their views- on why they believe or do not believe in God.

I just hope that we do not go for one-another’s throat and keep our humor intact.

Blog Entries
    I believe in God because 'I do', I am unable to explain why it is something that I have done for the most of my life even as a child. Have you ever tried to deny that belief? It is harder than you think! Modern science and the Darwin theories (of which I accept within reason) prove the solid, but they can't answer the big question of what was before the 'big bang' and where did the atoms arise, no more than we can say how God became to exhist! This I think all would agree this is a stalemate situation.

even then it still depends on your point of view even darwin himself said "with the detail and complexity of the human eye how can anyman say 'there is no God'" there is plenty of information that is evident in this world but i find it impossible to think that molecules, plants, animals, and human beings, the very things that make this world so amazing to look at and explore just came from some slime that "evolved" into a plankton like creature that turned into a fish that grew legs, etc. it just doesnt add up but thats when the beliefs and discernment of the human factor comes in we can all choose to believe whatever we want, becuase God gave us all free will to do so, he also said to never disrespect another mans opinion, and to love people as you would your-self. so you dont have to agree with a person and to agree with sombody on absolutly everything is kind of impossible to do so, becuase yet again were all uniqe in our own bodies, hearts, spirts, and minds and thats what i believe.

please forgive me for jumping around, its a habbit i just cant seem to break but i want you to know that i respect you and what you have to say and hope to converse with you all soon

~erik~
    "the ends do NOT always justify the means." - darkshadow03

How can a benevolent God find humour in the suffering of his creations? To me if there is an all powerful God the he is sadistic. Any sensible being with the power to ease the suffering of others would chose to do so especially if it within their means.

The posit that just because everything is logical and complex in the universe does not imply that intelligence guided every step of the way. Its possible that god existed before the creation of the universe and employed in his equations the possibility of forming self replicationg molecules through chemical reactions. Therefore even if this god exists "He" does not have to present anymore and nor does "He" have to care.

Don't worry, Be Happy
    Hi, RG57. thanks for your post and following remark:
    I believe in God because 'I do', I am unable to explain why it is something that I have done for the most of my life even as a child. Have you ever tried to deny that belief? It is harder than you think!

Yes I understand that for some the belief in God comes easily.

Hi, erikwithAK.
    I liked your following para:
    "I find it impossible to think that molecules, plants, animals, and human beings, the very things that make this world so amazing to look at and explore just came from some slime that "evolved" into a plankton like creature that turned into a fish that grew legs, etc. it just doesnt add up but thats when the beliefs and discernment of the human factor comes in we can all choose to believe whatever we want, becuase God gave us all free will to do so, he also said to never disrespect another mans opinion, and to love people as you would your-self. so you dont have to agree with a person and to agree with sombody on absolutly everything is kind of impossible to do so, becuase yet again were all uniqe in our own bodies."

Although, I tend to believe that we evolved more or less as you have said, but i too find it amazing.

Hi, Ohmyscience, I pondered carefully what to reply to your following remarks:
    "How can a benevolent God find humour in the suffering of his creations? To me if there is an all powerful God the he is sadistic. Any sensible being with the power to ease the suffering of others would chose to do so especially if it within their means".
    This is what I would like to say. Many points I borrow from articles/books I have read but I try to present what I also think could have been.:

Taking God is there, let us say initially, God was alone - the all powerful, all knower, omnipresent. So God decides to let us say, indulge in creative play. A universe is created, life forms keep springing in earth- unicellular life, vegetation, animal life, dinoausors, and ultimately stopping at human beings. If we see it in relam of time, all this probably took millions of years or may be more. But human being were endowed with more intelligence- from stone age when they moved unclothed, they learnt to make fire, invented wheel, made weapons, started agriculture and kept on moving forward. The kingdoms were formed and destroyed and emperors ruled the world and then died. Then Science started paving the way. In mere, shall we say one hundred and fifty years, the progress accelerated exponentially and see where we have reached. We have electric light in place of lanterns, planes and cars in place of horses, we have today so easy means of communications with internet, TV, cell phones etc. Longevity has increased, life as such have become more comfortable, we have more means of entertainment then we ever had before.
    Taking God as master controller, we could owe it all to God though I know some people will scoff at it. But if we consider God is there, then we have also to consider that not a single leaf anywhere would move without His consent. Each ant and all ants, all birds/ animals in your houses and jungles, bacteria seen through microscope all are God’s creation and total universe and all that is contained in it is sustained by God. All-good as well as bad is God’s will and He knows us inside out completely. If we consider the totality and consider the entire time period that seemed to have elapsed by now, then in this in this mind boggling imagination, in this passing show, we may get a glance of humor in all this. We can’t consider God like a big boss. Anyone who is sustaining all this has to be benevolent.
    Then why bad things happen. One reason I could think is they test us and make us become better persons. Unnatural deaths of innocents I can not explain but may only guess it as a part of longer plan of God for us. There is also a talk of free will. God as such do not interfere dramatically every now and then but works in a subtle way. As you sow, so you will reap. As taught in self help book, if we could actually apply it our lives, we can improve its quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RG57 View Post
    I believe in God because 'I do', I am unable to explain why it is something that I have done for the most of my life even as a child.
    The simple reason that you were brought up with the belief in God does not justify that belief. The belief is not innate - children are born atheists - you acquire the belief from your role models, or whoever instilled that belief in you.

Modern science and the Darwin theories (of which I accept within reason) prove the solid, but they can't answer the big question of what was before the 'big bang' and where did the atoms arise, no more than we can say how God became to exhist! This I think all would agree this is a stalemate situation.
    Yes but we have tangible, empirical reasoning for scientific theory. The universe exists, given that we live in it, and the effects of atoms can be seen chemically. God, on the other hand, has no real tangible manifestation. There is no reason why we should belief such a thing exists. Scientists did not come up with the big bang theory for kicks, they are trying to explain the creation of the universe. There would be no reason to come up with a theory if the universe did not exist.

What empirical data do we have that would require the existence of a god?

What's your point? All I understood was you believe in god because you were brought up believing in god, and it seems to be a decent enough fall back plan. Good for you, I solute you, but what does this have to do with religious texts, or even the question of religion in comparison to science?

Most of the world believes in god - what does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to get a debate going on the validity in belief in god? If so, you kind of didn't offer much of an argument.

Honestly, I am more afraid of god existing, which I don't think he does, then he not existing. I am more comforted that when I die nothing exists than with the notion that I'm going to burn in hell for all of eternity.
    Last edited by JBI; 11-08-2008 at 02:46 AM.

Don't worry, Be Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by mayneverhave
    Yes but we have tangible, empirical reasoning for scientific theory. The universe exists, given that we live in it, and the effects of atoms can be seen chemically. God, on the other hand, has no real tangible manifestation. There is no reason why we should belief such a thing exists. Scientists did not come up with the big bang theory for kicks, they are trying to explain the creation of the universe. There would be no reason to come up with a theory if the universe did not exist.

What empirical data do we have that would require the existence of a god?
    As you rightly say that, the effects of atoms can be seen chemically. We can not see oxygen but by burning a candle in a closed transparent flask, we can make out that the candle burns for sometimes and extinguishes when the flask oxygen is used up. But with regards to God what type of tangible evidence we are seeking.

First, we have to define God:
    I have not seen God myself, but then I am nowhere near a purest soul, which I feel should be one of the conditions to be face to face with God. With this admission, I first tell what I think God is:

As I see it, God is a benevolent power running the entire universe from time immemorial, in play with his creation, may be continuously evolving Himself. I also believe that there is only one God for all humanity though humankind keeps fighting for their different Gods. God is good, but ugly and evil (shall we say devil) too is His manifestation as part of this eternal play- as duality, or may be as a reason for testing a person or making of a better person. God controls absolutely everything, nothing moves without his will, be it any atom, or electrons, protons or neutrons inside the atom or anything else not discovered so far. In this regards, some say everything that we can see is God or all is God. So all of us are also God but living with a veil presently. God is our best friend and a permanent well-wisher. He has given human beings a free will to believe or not to believe on Him. We curse him or insult him, He is not affected. But He is subtly guiding all of us towards Him, through our numerous births and deaths. So good news is that all are going to be saved ultimately.

Does such a God needs to announce openly, 'Hey look, I am here'. Does He need to put Eiffel Tower of France in America in a split second and bring it back to its original position in half an hour or transform a dog into man and vice versa. Jokes apart, I don’t think human being is ever going to find a tangible manifestation or a scientific proof that a thing like God exists, if God himself does not will it. It also seems God prefer to remain mum and in background from beginning to world at large rather than revealing Himself openly.

Still if we observe, we can see is that everything in nature is so beautifully planned. If we take a normal human body, then we have some 60 billion cells living in harmony, each minding its own business and efficiently performing its own task. Our heart is a pump that keeps pumping blood ceaselessly to all part of our body from the day we are born to the day we live, our eyes are sensors which automatically focuses for near and far distances and has an iris which shrinks or expands depending upon the ambient light conditions. We have a brain, which is like a super computer and has ability for analytical thinking and not like a computer which works as per logic or data stored on it beforehand. Examples of such marvels that scientists have discovered can just go on and on. But why nature is so logical, so marvelous. Is it just a random phenomenon or slowly evolved through long time periods available we can only guess. Or should we infer that there may be a God after all.

More importantly, we have also to ask believers for day to day examples in their lives or the blessings that they have come across or miracles in rare cases. Why without a scientific theory, they still believe in God.

With all this, it is still our choice whether to believe or not to believe in God.

Don't worry, Be Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI
    What's your point? All I understood was you believe in god because you were brought up believing in god, and it seems to be a decent enough fall back plan. Good for you, I solute you, but what does this have to do with religious texts, or even the question of religion in comparison to science?

Most of the world believes in god - what does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to get a debate going on the validity in belief in god? If so, you kind of didn't offer much of an argument.

Honestly, I am more afraid of god existing, which I don't think he does, then he not existing. I am more comforted that when I die nothing exists than with the notion that I'm going to burn in hell for all of eternity.
    God is above religion or religious texts, but I found this the only appropriate place to start the thread.

Ok, what I am trying to get through the thread is this:

I want believers to come out with reasons with what makes them believe in God even when there is no clear cut scientific basis.

I want non-believers to come out with reasons why they don’t believe in God and counter the believers.

I may be presumptuous in thinking that there is going to be stalemate because believers cannot explain God scientifically as non-believers desire.

I like to indulge myself with a wish that at least a non-believer may end up becoming believer after reading the reasoning of believers in this thread.

As for my believing in God, I said I believe in God primarily because I find nature so beautifully planned that I think a God has to be involved somewhere. Sitting outside in a harsh sunlight troubled by world and personal affairs, the faith about a benevolent God is shaken at times. But I tell myself I can not comprehend the ways of God and if I take everything as a will of God and just do the work as I can do best, that is probably the right way of living.

Also, personally I don’t believe that there is a hell and if it is there then man is condemned to be there till eternity. A God that condemns a man to hell for eternity can not be God.

Lastly, my replies will come slow in the thread but they will come nevertheless.

Shadow Dancer
    I do not believe in God, however I do believe what God and Religion itself has stood for since the Birth of Religion itself.
    I find the Bible to be one big Parable, a story to keep the masses in line. What I personally believe is Religion to be a 'social security' mechanism.

Before I go on, I just want to say, I do not aim to talk anyone out of their faith. If they wish to believe, they may. I may be wrong, you may be right. There is no concrete evidence for this, but this is what belief is all about.
    This is simply my story, with my views.

Biological families, for the most record have been tight-knit which each other, protecting each other, loving each other. What if that was applied to the global scale, were we are all One family under one God? This is what I think is the idea with Religion, to unite people together, to help people love each other. However I do not find religion to be as clear-cut loving as it seems.

Religion has been commercialised in some senses which just disgusts me, an example of this can be some evangelical TV stars. Taking advantage of the unwell to gain money off them. However when I watched a TV programme on this once, I could sense that the disabled child's family only had faith left. It was what they clung onto. And I could feel for them, it made me feel upset.
    So I do see both sides of the field here.

I haven't always been an agonostic, I was a practising Catholic at one point. But what got rid of that belief was 9/11, the castrophe that befell America, seemed so tragic and I felt so strongly against it towards God, to which I questioned "Are you real? If so, why let this happen?" That day forward, I stopped believing in the power of prayer, and began beleving in the power of action.

It's not that they cannot explain god scientifically. It is that there is no proof of god, and plenty of proof against god. In other words, believers argue (and here I am talking specifically about the Judeo-Christian tradition note, not eastern or world religions) that their belief is a product of faith, which is virtuous. That's rhetoric for they are too afraid to change their minds, when faced with overwhelming evidence against god.

I can respect religion to an extent, but this "I believe because it makes me who I am, and makes me comfortable," is pure rhetoric. That isn't a reason to believe in something, it just shows the inner cowardice of the believer.

Blog Entries
    Hi I just wanted to say bravo and great posts, laidbackperson. I would be more than happy to share my reasons for believing in God.

Quote Originally Posted by laidbackperson
    As I see it, God is a benevolent power running the entire universe from time immemorial, in play with his creation, may be continuously evolving Himself. I also believe that there is only one God for all humanity though humankind keeps fighting for their different Gods. God is good, but ugly and evil (shall we say devil) too is His manifestation as part of this eternal play- as duality, or may be as a reason for testing a person or making of a better person. God controls absolutely everything, nothing moves without his will, be it any atom, or electrons, protons or neutrons inside the atom or anything else not discovered so far. In this regards, some say everything that we can see is God or all is God. So all of us are also God but living with a veil presently. God is our best friend and a permanent well-wisher. He has given human beings a free will to believe or not to believe on Him. We curse him or insult him, He is not affected. But He is subtly guiding all of us towards Him, through our numerous births and deaths. So good news is that all are going to be saved ultimately.
    First I would say that I have had a solid and growing faith in God for about three years now, although I've learned the most about Him in the last year. I agree with you that God is the Supreme Lord, maintaining all of the universe through His different potencies. He is our best well-wisher and loves us more than we could imagine. I would not say that we are God- we are like God in qualitiy but not as powerful as He- all is not God, all is God's energy. This world is mostly material energy. There's nothing spiritual if it isn't from and connected to God. For instance, if you were out on a mountain top, all alone, you would still be surrounded by the material energy? Why? Nature, the rocks and wind and sky and sun, all of this is the material energy. Human beings-- all living beings, for that matter-- are transcendental to this, because they have a soul. However, we are conditioned to accept material bodies due to our unfulfilled desires. For this reason we suffer birth, old age, sickness and death. Before we came to the material world, and if, as you say, we can become pure, we were and will be in the spiritual world.

Now what of God's love for us? Well, as I am trying to say, we are not actually God, but if we became God-conscious, then our problems would cease. God-consciousness is the highest consciousness that a soul can attain. God-consciousness is divine consciousness. Every soul is potentially divine, not in power but in nature. Our natural state is full of bliss, knowledge, and eternal. This can be realized but only through God's mercy. God is always with us, and He is sort of the "Way Out" of this material universe. We can always accept this highest way. It's necessary to acknowledge God. God created everything, all is His energy; and so it all belongs to Him.

It's a good thing you say that we have to be pure to see God, I believe that's true.

For why I believe in God, I will simply say this, and it's the most important statement I'll ever make. I, as a limited, living entity, can recognize the existence of the infinite in my life. I can recognize that I am limited, and I exist between two poles, which I call the infinite, and nothingness. Now I know with everything in me that I am part of this infinite. I can turn towards it and become like it; yet even if I did not, I could not escape it, since it is my source. Thus, no one can or will ever die. Not that we will necessarily have memory of our past lives, so don't worry aobut perpetual torment. But in fact, everything dissolves into this infinite. It makes sense according to reason. There is reason, but reason exists in the same way. All things are forms, which have their Ideal and Perfection in the Infinite.

This is the only tenable philosophy. And it's a joyous one. For when you truly understand this, then you'll get any philosophy that people can write about. There's nothing higher than this, simply recognizing the infinite in one's life, and turning toward it to try to understand it. We experience deja vu and coincidence, but there's no such thing as either; they are merely indications or clues to a higher plan. But we can turn toward the infinite and discover it within ourselves, discover that we are eternal; and this is basically the basis of all metaphysics or mysticism.

An individual cannot have divine consciousness, because divine consciousness is conscious of all individuals. But an individual can dovetail their actions to the divine consciousnes, and that is, without peer, the imperative issue for humanity.
    Last edited by NikolaiI; 11-08-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Regular Guy
    In my experience, the most important thing in life is Love. The most wonderful thing in the world is Love. The worst thing to be without is Love. The most sought-after commodity is Love. Nothing can change a person like Love can. When a person has Love, he will tell you he needs nothing more.

A God whose entire teachings can be summed up as "Love everyone" has clearly recognized this. A God who is the embodiment of Love must, by nature, be worthy of worship.

I believe God is Love. Love is an easy God to believe in.

I believe and love and witness His presence, and His light in my sight, hearing, all his blessings , all his tests and what appear to be hardships but are nothing but a grant from Him to me to bring me closer to Him. He teaches me the more I a dragged out of His Presence, the more I will sense the gravity of earth, and the more I incline to Him, I will transcend.

Human Beings are the true cause of catastrophe's. I do not know if I should say this, but now I know how the sky, earth and mountains feel. In the Holy Quran, He Says:
    Whereby almost the heavens are torn, and the earth is split asunder and the mountains fall in ruins, That ye ascribe unto the Beneficent a son, (Mariam Chapter verses 90 and 91). I know the agony I feel, when I find that just because there are some troubles in this day or part of a day ( the mortal life), some of us don't believe He is here and now. In a cup of tea including sugar we do not see the sugar, but we know that there is sugar in the cup, and that is why its sweetened. If someone denies there is sugar in the cup because they don't see the sugar, or because they don't like the colour of tea, then it is not because the tea does not contain sugar, it is just that they can't feel the taste. Allah gives the taste to everything

And because He is just, the source of happiness to everyone is the same; in reverting to Him. Who look for others cannot find it.

Imagine if we assume there is not software propgrammer behind this forum, and we believe that the forum was just there, with all the smiles, the features, and so on. How would the programmer that took so much effort to allow us use this forum feel?

Allah is just and He cares and Loves, and His Mercy is everywhere in whichever form it looks like, we are here in a guest house upon the road, if we forget that Home, is there with Him, we would never rest in the guest House, but will rest within Him, His Power, His Love and His Mercy.

I really wish this makes sense.

Don't worry, Be Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI
    It's not that they cannot explain god scientifically. It is that there is no proof of god, and plenty of proof against god. In other words, believers argue (and here I am talking specifically about the Judeo-Christian tradition note, not eastern or world religions) that their belief is a product of faith, which is virtuous. That's rhetoric for they are too afraid to change their minds, when faced with overwhelming evidence against god.

I can respect religion to an extent, but this "I believe because it makes me who I am, and makes me comfortable," is pure rhetoric. That isn't a reason to believe in something, it just shows the inner cowardice of the believer.
    Hi, JBI. I think I am understanding what you are trying to get at.. People of certain regions say that they are only correct and that their faith is only right. When these people say about God, ‘I believe because it makes me who I am, and makes me comfortable," you find it ridiculous. I guess you see cowardice there. The sentence as it is, smells of a shaky belief. A good believer would say,’ I believe because that is how I feel it should be. And let the grace of God be with us in all hard and smooth situations.’ And when this person is put in tough spot, he/she takes it as his/her fate or fight with whatever best way. He may grumble, curse, even his faith get shaken sometimes, but he/she keep going back to God.

or
    probably you are talking about people who loud mouth their religions, use sugar coated words but in reality are phony type.

When we talk about God, we have to go beyond religious texts.
    We should also understand that religious texts, whatever they are , they must have been written by someone in the beginning, may be persons with great wisdom. These books always preach about love for humanity, compassion, justice, selflessness, peace and other good ideas. But these books also may contain texts which you feel are unconvincing- may be a narrow minded attitude somewhere, or God directly intervening, or lots of miracles occurring etc.

I think we have to try to look at everything from our own angle. For e.g. I too find it unconvincing to believe in the Adam-and-Eve and Earth-was-built-in-5-days story of Bible and tend to believe more in evolution theory. But then I really don’t know. I tell myself that may be this story is only symbolic wherein 1 day is equal to say 10 million years. But there is not much point many times in arguing in matter of one’s beliefs or faith.

The important point is, we have not to mix religion with God and can we still believe that there is a God or supreme Power in background controlling everything occurring in universe and our earth from the beginning of time or we are all just a product of chance.
    One more reason , why I think people don’t believe in God ( the first reason being that they don’t find a scientific proof of God) is that we do not know what happens after we die. A good believer I suppose should have a tranquility of mind during his/her last days and should not feel rattled by his/her impending death. Surely, one day both of us as also all those who are reading these words are also going to die. You may like to think that we will merge into nothingness, like all the earlier caveman, ape man, dinosaurs, kings, queens, sinners, saints etc.etc who perished before us. You may think our bodies are only a chemical composition and once we die, our body will decay or get burned or fed to vultures, and thus merge with the elements of earth.

We think so because dead people don’t come back to tell their tales. But not knowing does not mean that there is definitely nothing after death
    There are only few stray cases wherein people die and come back to tell a God’s story (Dr Raymond Moody’s book on near death experience.) Then there are rare cases of children recounting their lives in previous birth very accurately. There are also books by Dr Brian Weiss telling about past life experiences of his patients.

But again we have to analyze things from our own angle. We have to argue, we only hear or read these things, but never experience such cases ourselves. There must be money involved or fame, when such books become a best seller Or is the person really telling truth.
    If we assume that a God is there, and He decides to control everything from backstage, how life would have been if he had granted human beings eternal youth. The way human beings have been living over the ages; I think it would have been a worst curse. Human beings would have stopped thinking about God at all. Even today, person in power struts with an ego as if they own the world. At least now after their death they are completely forgotten but what power games they would have indulged in if they were not to die ever. So personally, I find that death is a gem of God’s master plan. The slate is wiped clean and all are brought to the same level. I go one step further as I believe in reincarnation theory, and like to think that we come again in earth as a new person-man or woman with no memory of past. What you carry forward from your previous birth is your good or bad karma., may be good or bad habits, your attitude and such things. By taking birth and rebirths, through hundreds and thousands of times and repeatedly indulging in same play, a human being start getting purified, real knowledgeable and become desireless towards worldly pleasures. Person is now ready for God consciousness, as Nikolai say in his post in this thread. I live with a belief that some day in some life, I am going to know all secrets, How exactly things happened and and everything that happened so far. Such theory is proposed in some books and it looks logical to me, though it has no scientific base. If you try to observe you may find that some kids don’t take on their parents at all. Intelligent people may have dull child and vice versa, Bold may have timid child and vice versa and other such contrasts. Here no amount of the environment conditioning or genetics seems to have any effect. Of course, scientists may attribute this to a certain changed chemical composition of brain or some genetic anomaly or things like that. But I put it as a part of God’s plan for us, a sort of normalization. Likewise, assuming a God is there, we may start to see some logic or reasoning behind day-to-day events. When we fail, we have to tell ourselves: Well, God is too great, too wise and we can’t comprehend His ways. However, God sees everything in long term whereas we see everything in terms of few years or a hundred years. Therefore, God must have a better plan for us. Believeing God, I don't see it as cowardice but I see it as a type of reasoning- yes, that is how it should be.

Yes, Believers simply cannot give a proof of existence of God in the manner scientists’ want. All I can say that there are clues all around in nature. Science knows that everything around is so logical, precise, so meticulously planned. However, why it is really like this, can science really answer this?

I don’t know if I could satisfy your doubts but that is all I have to say. Still I would like to know what you meant when you wrote there are plenty of proofs against God

P.S: When I wrote your answer I asked myself whether I am being hypocrite for many a times I accuse myself of being hypocrite in such serious matters. However, I think that realization of one’s being hypocrite, is still a step towards becoming less hypocrite.

Page 1 of 63 1234561151 ... LastLast