Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Magical World of Children’s Book Illustration

Blog Entries
    Yes the Spence and Rackham are my favorites though I also really like the Parish

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    In that grouping I think I like the Parrish and the Spence the best. I will have to check out Spence on the internet; not familar with his work at all. I saw that Parrish before - I own a big Parrish book, which I dearly love.

I don't know if I will be on the computer much today because my right eye is ailing me; probably just dry eye erosion again (usually happens this time of year with changes in temperature) but it feels like it has something in it that is stabbing my eyeball - really painful. I put ointment with drops in it, so maybe it will be better soon, but I should not be on here and should be resting it. If it gets better I will check in later on tonight.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Here are some from Aladdin by Thomas Mackenzie

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Oh, those are beautiful. I love Mackenzie's work. I will copy those for my Mackenzie file. Thanks for posting those, Dark Muse. You always come through. I really love these. I think I may have some more of the ones from Arabian Nights. I will check later on. Trying to do some cleaning right now; also listening to some political commentary - multi-tasking as usual...ugh...would rather be playing on here of course.

Blog Entries
    I could not resist this collection of Old Norse Fairy Tales by Reginald and Horace Knowles

The Princess on the Glass Hill

The Best Wish

Jack and the Troll have an Eating Match

I cannot help but to wonder if Jack and the Beanstalk came from this one

Katie Woodencloak

Hacon Grizzlebeard

East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon

The Three Bill-Goats Gruff

The Big Bird Dan

[IMG][/IMG]

Bushy Bride

The Blue Belt

The Three Princesses of Whiteland

Belated thank you, Janine, for finding the cover illustration of Tiger Flower. It gives some idea of the style. I tried to find more of the pictures, but until you mentioned it I hadn't considered the copyright issues.

Thank you to everyone else for the glorious pictures on this thread

Blog Entries
    polgara, glad you were pleased with the cover; I am sure it is nostalgic for you. I feel sure the reason you can't find the photos online is the copyright; a pity, since I would love to see them. Glad you are enjoying the pictures that have been posted so far. Dark Muse has contributed so many interesting works and continues to astonish me with new illustrators. I am enjoying it myself and find I go to look for some more illustrations and then get side-tracked and copy a zillion other artist's work, as well. The great thing is, in the process, I am discovering a whole world of illustrators I never knew before or work from some I did know of but not that they produced such a body of beautiful and brilliant work.

Dark Muse, I love Reginald and Horace Knowles work; were they brothers?
    Last edited by Janine; 11-15-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here are some more from Rackham; I can't seem to get enough of his work:

Hansel and Grethel from "Hansel and Grethel and Other Fairytales"

A darker version - interesting how differently they printed in various books...

One from:
    'The Frog Princess' from "Hansel and Gretel and Other Fairytales"

Hi Janine, just to fill you in on that programme I mentioned. This week's featured E.H. Shephard with Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows, and Rackham with his version, and I think Tenniel with Alice in Wonderland. Raymond Briggs and Anthony Browne were also on. It was a nice companion to this thread, showing people featured on here. I hope you can manage to see it. Is this an instance of synchronicity I wonder, that it's shown as we've been looking at the same artists on here ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    Hi Janine, just to fill you in on that programme I mentioned. This week's featured E.H. Shephard with Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows, and Rackham with his version, and I think Tenniel with Alice in Wonderland. Raymond Briggs and Anthony Browne were also on. It was a nice companion to this thread, showing people featured on here. I hope you can manage to see it. Is this an instance of synchronicity I wonder, that it's shown as we've been looking at the same artists on here ?
    Wessexgirl, How interesting it is - and surely 'synchronicity' as you say; I love that word. My own philosphophy has always been that all things are connected and not necessarily in the physical realm, I mean more mental. I know often I will be thinking of some certain artist or thing and my friend, who is thousands of miles away will suddenly email me about the exact same thing. Uncanny or ESP? We tend now to think we are on the same wave-length, it happens so often.

Did I post any Sheppard yet? I know I copied and uploaded some recently and planned to do so. I will check back so I don't do it twice. I keep forgetting what I did and didn't post. Next I had planned on posting some of the Rackham's "Wind in the Willows" illustrations (another case of synchronicity,), so I hope you stop back to see them. You can copy all, for your own offline files, by simply right-clicking, then copying to picture file. I have built up a huge 'Artists' folder by now and it contains tons of subfolders and thousands of files. I also, have a separate Illustrators folder. Soon I will burn all these to disc, but for now they are backup on my external backup drive.

Hope I can get to see the program, you speak of, ...well eventually. I don't really cable connected on my own TV (upstairs) so reception is poor; I use the TV only to view movies of which I have an assess free to tons and many I own; I live with my mother and her TV downstairs does have basic cable, but is always set to what she wants to view. It is rare I can pick and choose a program, like the BBC America station; but I will check the listings and see if it is on soon; otherwise, I must wait until it comes to DVD and I would love to purchase it.

Be back shortly to post those Rackham's "Wind in the Willows"...Glad that you could stop by....J

Blog Entries
    The Wind in the Willows ~ Illustrations by Arthur Rackham
    Cover Design

A Prize Hackney

Last edited by Janine; 11-16-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Rackham's Illustrations for Washington Irving's well-known "Rip Van Winkle" - one my favorites as a child. My father must have told us this story a zillion times.

Rackham Rip Van Winkle Cover

He Taught Them To Fly Kites

Rip van Winkle and the Ghosts of Hudsons Creek....His heart turned within him and his knees smote together

His likeness on their New-Year cakes

The cawing of a flock of idle crowes

They clambered up a narrow gully

These Fairy Mountains

The most ancient inhabitant of the village

The dogs barked at him as he passed
    Last edited by Janine; 11-17-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    This illustration was done by a man from my college. I was searching for illustrators online and came across this one.

Found this book cover and thought it was interesting.
    Last edited by Janine; 11-17-2008 at 12:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    I was wandering around Amazon the other day and I found these neat old book covers. I was amazed to find so many versions of "The Wizzard of Oz". I think these are so nostalgic - even the loving way they are worn; a good book should always be well read and worn as these are. It is lovely to think of the children in times gone by, who enjoyed countless hours reading these little gems.

The Wizard Of Oz - L Frank Braum - illustrated by W.W.Denslow

The Tin Woodman of Oz - L Frank Braum - illustrated by John R Neill

Tik-Tok Of Oz - L Frank Braum - probably illustrated by John R Neill, although it does not say on cover.

The Royal Book Of OZ - L Frank Baum - illustrated by John R Neill

Rinkitinks in Oz - L Frank Baum - illustrated by Jno R Neil

Rinkitink in Oz - L Frank Braum - illustrated by Jno R Neill

Ozma of OZ - L Frank Baum - illustrated by Jno R Neill

Jack Pumpkin head Of Oz - illustrated by Jno R Neill

I wonder if John R. Neill is the same person who signed Jno R. Neill later on.

Blog Entries
    Cheating a bit this week to stay seasonal. These are not children's illustrations technically speaking, but most of them do contain children and and illustrate for Thanksgiving and the season in America, you can't get much nor 'Americana' than these.

Norman Rockwell

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Last edited by Janine; 11-24-2008 at 10:09 PM.