Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Magical World of Children’s Book Illustration

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    Just an update Janine. It's a 3 part series and it starts over here on Wednesday, so you may be able to find it online around then. There was no mention of it on the Beeb's website a few days ago.
    wessexgirl, Thanks for the update. I don't know how long BBC series like this one, become DVD's or even are aired over here. I wonder, too, how long it is before they show up on Youbube or the Beeb's website. I will check on all after it airs there. Good to keep an eye out for it.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    I founds these images of the Little Mermaid by Sulamith Wülfing to be interesting

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    I don't know if this counts for great illustration, but this was my favorite childhood book.

Definitely a little boy's book.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I don't know if this counts for great illustration, but this was my favorite childhood book.
    Virgil - Absolutely!!! A while back someone asked if they could post some of these; but never came through with them. So glad that you did the honors. You picked some really good ones, too. I just love Maurice Sendak! How did you ever find these? I looked before, online, but could not come up with ones to copy.
    This was one of my son's favorite books, as well - haha - his grandmother (my mother) loved the book, also - she still does; Sean loved us to read him this book and "Curious George Gets a Metal". I will post the cover of a CG book soon. I think my library has the film animation of the book - "Where the Wild Things are" - I should take it out one of these days - I am sure it would be totally entertaining.

Dark Muse, those "Little Mermaid" by Sulamith Wülfing are more than just interesting; they are gorgeous! I love all of them. I never heard of the artist but will have to look him/her(?) up online.

I have been coping lots of artwork just now off a neat site I found. I found some artists we had not yet posted, so hope to soon upload to Photobucket and post some of those examples. Some are quite whimsical - like a series on cats - not quite sure they were for any particular book, but think they are well-worth posting here. They were under 'Child Illustrators' when I found them.

Virgil, any other books you liked as a kid?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Virgil - Absolutely!!! A while back someone asked if they could post some of these; but never came through with them. So glad that you did the honors. You picked some really good ones, too. I just love Maurice Sendak! How did you ever find these? I looked before, online, but could not come up with ones to copy.
    This was one of my son's favorite books, as well - haha - his grandmother (my mother) loved the book, also - she still does; Sean loved us to read him this book and "Curious George Gets a Metal". I will post the cover of a CG book soon. I think my library has the film animation of the book - "Where the Wild Things are" - I should take it out one of these days - I am sure it would be totally entertaining.
    All I did was google images Where the Wild Thigs Are. There's a whole buch of images there.

Virgil, any other books you liked as a kid?
    I'm too old to remember.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    All I did was google images Where the Wild Thigs Are. There's a whole buch of images there.

Really? I guess I just put in the author's name did not come up with anything but books listed to buy.

I'm too old to remember.
    Yeah, sure you are... I can even remember my books which they read me as a young child; one being my favorites was some corny book about a pop-corn party. I think I might actually still own it - somewhere, no doubt in my storage. I wasn't exactly instilled with fine literature at my house; not until I became an adult. I was read classics like "Alice in Wonderland" by my father and of course, he loved Oscar Wilde's fairytales. Forgot about those so I guess it was not as bad as I say, but I mostly recall Golden books.

Blog Entries
    Well, I was never really a child. I born a grumpy old man.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Well, I was never really a child. I born a grumpy old man.
    Nay, don't believe that...not quite....your baby picture shows you as a cute little kid.

Blog Entries
    Here is the book cover to the edition polgara mentioned a few pages back; ran across it when I was looking up various artists' work:

TIGER FLOWER

One of my son's favorite books was "Curious George"...endlessly we had to re-read it to him....night after night....those were the days....ah memories..

I thought this was really funny - "Three Blind Mice" by Charles Folkhard (1878- 1963)

Honor Appleton - "Agrippa had come back..."
    Last edited by Janine; 11-03-2008 at 02:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Now for the whimsical art of Louis Wain
    Any cat/sports lovers out there?

Louis Wain (1860-1939) was an English artist who was most famous for his drawings of cats. Although he was a household name at the turn of the century, his reputation subsequently diminished after his death until the late sixties when Rodney Dale's Louis Wain: The Man who Drew Cats was published. Since then, there has been some interest in Wain's art but not nearly to the extent that it deserves.

For more biographical facts see:
    http://www.lilitu.com/catland/intro.shtml

Perhaps not technically a children's illustrator, Wain also entertained adults with his witty and humorous cats art. I find his works very amusing.

"What time do you call this Kiss Misstime?"

Scaredy Cats

The Wheel barrow Race

Wicked Satisfaction

Musical Chairs

Cats Playing Cricket

Cat Napping

"For What We Are About To Receive"

A Game of Golf

A Day on the Links

An Accident with a Ping-Pong Ball

Stripes to the Front
    Last edited by Janine; 11-03-2008 at 03:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    The adorable world of
    Lucy Atwell

"You Know What Men are Like"

"Hurry Up for the Last Train to Fairyland"

"Hullo! Did you come by Underground?"

"First Haircut"

She captured children very well with their young innocense. I love her work; it's so darling!
    Last edited by Janine; 11-03-2008 at 03:30 AM.

The first episode of Picture Book was aired tonight Janine, and it was very good. It was looking at books for the under 5's, and next week it's the over 6's. Some golden oldies, and then some of the newer ones I've used a lot in my storytelling. Lots of interviews with current author/illustrators, and one of my favourite poets, our Children's Poet Laureate, Michael Rosen.

There was a lovely programme preceding it about the author Kenneth Grahame, and how he came to write Wind in the Willows, with all the evocative and iconogaphic illustrations, (by E.H.Shephard, the illustrator of Winnie the Pooh too), that went along with that. Lovely stuff.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN

I hope you are able to get them online.
    Last edited by wessexgirl; 11-05-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    The first episode of Picture Book was aired tonight Janine, and it was very good. It was looking at books for the under 5's, and next week it's the over 6's. Some golden oldies, and then some of the newer ones I've used a lot in my storytelling. Lots of interviews with current author/illustrators, and one of my favourite poets, our Children's Poet Laureate, Michael Rosen.

There was a lovely programme preceding it about the author Kenneth Grahame, and how he came to write Wind in the Willows, with all the evocative and iconogaphic illustrations, (by E.H.Shephard, the illustrator of Winnie the Pooh too), that went along with that. Lovely stuff.
    Hi wessexgirl!The program sounded great; I hope in the future I can also see it (on DVD) or aired here. Funny you should mention Shephard. I just ran across his Winnie the Pooh illustrations and will post some later tonight. I did not know it also did the ones for Grahane's "Wind in the Willows" but I will be gathering some of those as well - good suggestion.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN

I hope you are able to get them online.
    The link works; site looks interesting to explore. I have to go and eat my dinner presently but will be back to look into it. Thanks for posting this. It is very helpful. How did you like the illustrations I posted so far this week? I thought the cats were so whimsical and the children's photos adorable.

Ok, back again and revising this post in order to add this author, as you suggested.

E. H. Shepard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ernest Howard Shepard (December 10, 1879 – March 24, 1976) was an English artist and book illustrator. He was known especially for his human-like animals in illustrations for The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame and Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne.
    For additional biographical facts see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._H._Shepard

Several charming ilustrations by E.H.Shepard for "Winnie The Pooh".

Two Can Stick Together Winnie

Playing Pooh-Sticks

Behind the Door

Hope these bring back memories for you, wessexgirl....

I wasn't able to find any of "The Wind in the Willows" illustrations by Shepard (online) that can be copied. Probably they are still within copyright. I did find some by another illustrator - think they are Rackham's but not sure. Will look them up.
    Last edited by Janine; 11-05-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sleeping Beauty

Rackham

Burnes

Parish

Spence

Willcox

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    They are nice ones. I particularly love that Spence 'Sleeping Beauty' - I had not seen that one before - it is stunning. Thanks for posting those, DM.