Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doyle, Dante or Dumas?

Doyle, Dante or Dumas?

To go straight to the point, I have to make a decision as to which book I read first between those three:

Sherlock Holmes (the complete novels and stories collection)
    The Divine Comedy
    The Count of Monte Cristo

Three artefacts of enormous value and a student who has little time to read all three in the coming months. Surely most of you had to make a decision akin to this one many, many times. I have never tried detective fiction, I have read a few stanzas of The Divine Comedy and I have heard good things from those who have read The Count.

Thank you all.

The Divine Comedy without a single doubt.
    Et l'unique cordeau des trompettes marines

Apollinaire, Le chantre

Blog Entries
    I vote for Sherlock Holmes. Now truthfully have never read Dante but after many years did make it through The Count of Monte Cristo. I liked Count but not as enthralled with it as say The Three Musketeers in comparison whereas Sherlock is endlessly fascinating to follow.

Blog Entries
    It depends how old you are. The Divine Comedy is certainly the greatest of the three, but it's not exactly a children's read.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

3 at sametime. At the momment you discover Beatrice wants to kill Moriaty for sending Virgil to a prision so he could marry Watson while Holmes is journeying thru Hell and Dante is discovering that the Universe is not elementar, you will have joy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    3 at sametime. At the momment you discover Beatrice wants to kill Moriaty for sending Virgil to a prision so he could marry Watson while Holmes is journeying thru Hell and Dante is discovering that the Universe is not elementar, you will have joy.
    That really had me laughing out loud.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

account closed at request of member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    That really had me laughing out loud.
    That was a very creative moment, no doub! ...

I agree that it may depend on your moment in life. As well as nationality ... Or tastes for it. What do you wish better (or to begin from)?: England, Italy or France?

However I have Italy in my blood, I'd prefer England.

There's another choice as well: when do you like better to be?: end of the Victorian era, the Middle Ages, or the XVIIIth century?

I'd be in doubt between the 18th and the MA, so, I'd probably begin through mr. Alighieri ...

But I'd need some Treasure Island and some Christmas Carol, so as not to be too distant from the other periods ... And keep myself nearer England ...

Again, that's me.
    What about you?

librarius

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seriously... The Divine Comedy is easily... EASILY the greatest of the three choices. In my mind it is the single greatest book ever written. The other two are not even close... minor classics at best. Having said that much, I would ask how well read... how experienced you are with classic literature... before making any recommendation. The Divine Comedy is marvelous... but it is not light reading and it demands a real investment on the part of the reader and (unless you are deeply versed in classical mythology, Christian theology, Roman and medieval history, medieval Italian politics, etc...) frequent reference to notes. I will also note that if you decide upon Dante you must also make a decision as to the translation. My personal favorite is John Ciardi... but Alan Mandelbaum, Robert Pinsky, Robert and Jean Hollander, and Mark Musa's are all highly respected.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Longfellow's translation isn't too shabby either, and hey, it's in the public domain.

Divine Comedy if you are at that comprehension level.

Age doesn't matter all that much. I've met 40 year olds that could never make it through Dante and 13 year olds that would devour it.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes... I liked what I've read of Longfellow's translation... he wasn't a bad translator in general... but would you recommend it as your first choice for Dante?
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I've not read Dante and The Count gets a bit boring in the middle, so i vote for Holmes.

Vera incessu Patuit dea
    id say the count of monte cristo..Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
    And then Dante starts flerting with Mercedes and Edmond realizes that and stabs him!

Dante
    Last edited by bazarov; 10-23-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Difficult choice...I'd vote for the Divine Comedy.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast