Thread: Kafka Short Story Collections (about Translation)

Kafka Short Story Collections (about Translation)

Anyone know which short story collection(s) of Kafka's work is best? I am somewhat interested in picking up The Complete Stories, Schocken Books. I know in that collection a lot of the stories (particularly The Metamorphosis) are translated by the Muirs, and I have heard tales of their infamy with omitting or simplifying Kafka's prose to make translation easier... I have read a good translation of The Metamorphosis before, Bantam Classics, though I forget the translators name.
    But does anyone know if there is a good collection of stories with good translations as well? I'm not looking for the longer novels, just short stories for now.
    Thanks.

I see a lot of people have looked here but not responded. In case anyone is wondering my opinion, after having looked around. Penguin as usual seems to have the best compilation in terms of translation, Metamorphosis and other stories. Translated by Malcolm Pasley. It is not complete with every story, but I think they are the best translations for such an extensive collection.

And for the entire collection there is Schocken Books The Complete Stories of Franz Kafka, but they are mostly lesser translations.

I see a lot of people have looked here but not responded. In case anyone is wondering my opinion, after having looked around. Penguin as usual seems to have the best compilation in terms of translation, Metamorphosis and other stories. Translated by Malcolm Pasley. It is not complete with every story, but I think they are the best translations for such an extensive collection.

And for the entire collection there is Schocken Books The Complete Stories of Franz Kafka, but they are mostly lesser translations.