Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 233

Thread: Revenge: good or bad?

  1. #31
    Vincit Qui Se Vincit Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,354
    Blog Entries
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I do not think it is upping the ante, I think it is a pefectly legitimate exchange. I have in fact felt for a long time what rape should be added to murder to the crimes which can get one the death penelty in the court of law.
    Certainly the rape of a child. That frankly turns my stomach. But I want to reemphasize. Legally carried out justice as I descrbed up above is not revenge. It is the appropriate execution of societal punishment.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

    "Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

    My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

  2. #32
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,858
    Blog Entries
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by mangueken View Post
    Do you agree with stoning an adulterous woman
    While I do not infact belive that adultry should be a legal issue, if a woman was stoned for adultry I cannot say I would feel sorry for her. I have very rigid views about disloyatly.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  3. #33
    Registered User mangueken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Grew up in Kentucky, Lived in Brazil for a decade and have now returned to Kentucky
    Posts
    88
    Well Dark Muse,
    I may not agree with your views on this question but I do have to admit you are consistent : )

  4. #34
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,858
    Blog Entries
    957
    hehe Yes, that is one thing I do try to be.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  5. #35
    Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tweet @ScherLitNet
    Posts
    23,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Wouldn't know? Ha! You've gotten your revenge on me a number of times.
    "Revenge", you say?

    I say, "divine justice"!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~


  6. #36
    Pessimistic Philo Writer Mr Hyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas, United States
    Posts
    155
    Blog Entries
    21
    I love the subject of capital murder in that from a hypocritical judgement it comes to be known that people can murder in one way from a legalized standpoint but not in the other.

    Classic do as I say not as I do arguement.

    ( This is just one of the many reasons why I reject morality, ethics, and golden rules altogether.)

    ( Only the naive believe this world to be a moral one.)
    Life is a sadistic joke with no pun line.

  7. #37
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,858
    Blog Entries
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    I love the subject of capital murder in that from a hypocritical judgement it comes to be known that people can murder in one way from a legalized standpoint but not in the other.
    Well that depends upon ones definition of murder. I personaly do not beleive that all forms of killing are by defult murder. In my personal opinion murder only applies when a life that is innocent is taken. When a person is killed in cold blood.

    The death penalty is not killing in cold blood. Nor is it taking the life of the innocent.

    I do not consider killing in revenge to truly consitute a murder becasue the person being killed is so as a direct restult of thier own actions.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  8. #38
    Pessimistic Philo Writer Mr Hyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas, United States
    Posts
    155
    Blog Entries
    21
    Well that depends upon ones definition of murder.
    Certainly it does for if you murder for the government on the battlefield it is considered a noble act but should you murder for your own individual pleasure without governmental approval or the permission of society then it becomes known to be a crime.

    But what is really interesting is that killing is killing no matter how you define it.

    I personaly do not beleive that all forms of killing are by defult murder.
    Please tell me your definitions.

    In my personal opinion murder only applies when a life that is innocent is taken.
    See this is where I disagree with you because to me noone is innocent.

    To me innocence doesn't exist.


    When a person is killed in cold blood.
    What's the difference?


    The death penalty is not killing in cold blood. Nor is it taking the life of the innocent.
    See above posts.

    I do not consider killing in revenge to truly consitute a murder becasue the person being killed is so as a direct restult of thier own actions.
    Killing is killing no matter how you define it.
    Last edited by Mr Hyde; 10-21-2008 at 03:35 PM.
    Life is a sadistic joke with no pun line.

  9. #39
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,858
    Blog Entries
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    See this is where I disagree with you because to me noone is innocent.
    Yes I knew you would say that. But what I meant above is that if a person kills another who has in fact has done nothing to them. Even if the said person may not be "innocent" in the borad sense. If they are killed by some random pyschopath, then that would consittute as murder becasue the person killing them has no justifiable or motive to do so.

    And to me that is a completely seperate thing then if person A kills person B becasue person B directly brought harm to person A.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    Killing is killing no matter how you define it.
    Killing is killing but I still do not believe that all killing is murder. I think there is justifiable killing. Though I do not personally believe that only the government is the determinant of what is justifiable or not. I do believe in personal vigilantism and I believe a person should have to right to seek their own revenge.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  10. #40
    Pessimistic Philo Writer Mr Hyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas, United States
    Posts
    155
    Blog Entries
    21
    But what I meant above is that if a person kills another who has in fact has done nothing to them.
    People do bad things to other people all the time even when the person being oppressed, attacked, or insulted did nothing to deserve it.

    It simply happens.

    Society oppresses individuals everyday into poverty and inequality by forcing them to become indentured servants decrying that is their only worth or value as a human being even when it is done against their own will.

    Again it simply just happens.

    Even if the said person may not be "innocent" in the borad sense. If they are killed by some random pyschopath, then that would consittute as murder becasue the person killing them has no justifiable or motive to do so.
    Why must somthing be justified? Not everything is justified and I think you know that.

    And to me that is a completely seperate thing then if person A kills person B becasue person B directly brought harm to person A.
    For you it may be but for me there is no difference.

    I do believe in personal vigilantism and I believe a person should have to right to seek their own revenge.
    Alot of serial killers and criminals see their behavior as personal revenge or vigilantism too.
    Last edited by Mr Hyde; 10-21-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    Life is a sadistic joke with no pun line.

  11. #41
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,858
    Blog Entries
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    People do bad things to other people all the time even when the person being oppressed, attacked, or insulted did nothing to deserve it.
    I never said they didn't but that was not the point of my argument. The point being, that if a person does something to another person without having a good reason for doing it, they deserve to be punished for it. Either by a court of law or by the wronged party.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    Society oppresses individuals everyday into poverty and inequality by forcing them to become indentured servants decrying that is their only worth or value as a human being even when it is done against their own will.
    That is irrlelevent to this arugment


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    Why must somthing be justified? Not everything is justified and I think you know that.
    I never said everything is justified, but there is a differences between something that is justified and something that is not justified. As my above arugment.

    A person who does something which is not justified should be called to account for their actions

    While if a person does something becaue they are righting a wrong which has been done to them they should be excused


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    Alot of serial killers and criminals see their behavior as personal revenge or vigilantism too.
    Though I beleive in vigiliantisim, I am not calling for a complete end of the legal system. It is clear to anyone with even an iota of common sense that there is a differnece between a serial killer and someone who was directly and personaly been harmed, or had a loved one harmred, and going after those that are reponseble, then someone just lashing out in general.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  12. #42
    Haribol Acharya blazeofglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kathmandu
    Posts
    4,959
    Revenge is a natural tendency something that is primitively set in our mind and out moral attributes we try to do away with it, but it is always there in full bloom notwithstanding the fact that we try to subdue it.

    Of course revenge is not good,and I am not for it. But human nature is very hard to understand and we hardly keep away from it and there are pinches of it always in our behaviors.

    Let us be honest to ourselves that we depict our revengeful demeanor all the time in our tradeoffs with others in day to day affairs.

    We simply are pretenders, trying to show what we are not in point of fact.

    “Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

    “If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

  13. #43
    spiritus ubi vult spirat weltanschauung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    dunwich
    Posts
    1,228
    dangerous liaisons -chordelos de laclos
    superb.

  14. #44
    The Poetic Warrior Dark Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Within the winds
    Posts
    8,858
    Blog Entries
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
    We simply are pretenders, trying to show what we are not in point of fact.
    I am proud of my preadatory side, and I do not try and hide my teeth. I embrace it.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

  15. #45
    Haribol Acharya blazeofglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kathmandu
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I am proud of my preadatory side, and I do not try and hide my teeth. I embrace it.
    The transition to land brought major changes to the faces of our ancestors. They stopped breathing water through gills, and the gill-supporting muscles in the face took on new functions, like controlling the throat to swallow food. At the same time the muscles that moved the jaws became bigger as land vertebrates evolved a more powerful bite.
    In point of fact I subscribe to your ideas one hundred percent in point of fact, for today we hide the incisive teeth and nails and clutches and despite the veneer of cultures, morals, ethics and the like we are still the same brutes, and our promitive desires of pouncing, mating, defending and the like are still powerful within us, and these are the givens we can not subdue in point of fact notwithstanding our continuum of endeavors to quell and ttample them out.

    Then tell me wereon earth we are not revengeful?

    “Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

    “If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does Good & Evil Exist
    By [email protected] in forum Philosophical Literature
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 12:06 AM
  2. The revenge of Mr. Adam Colingbridge
    By saswat_sahoo in forum Short Story Sharing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 04:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •