Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Revenge: good or bad?

Revenge: good or bad?

Do you thing that revenge is a good thing, that people who do bad things should get what they deserve?

Or do you think that we should be forgiving, that revenge only causes the perpetration of violence in society? If you think so, can you actually forgive everyone that harms you or your loved ones?

Is death penalty about justice, revenge or prevention?

And as we are in a literature forum, what was the best revenge story you've ever read?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by absurda View Post
    Do you thing that revenge is a good thing, that people who do bad things should get what they deserve?
    Revenge is a dark emotion. But I think you need to define what you mean by revenge. If someone jumps ahead of you on a line, and then another day you jump ahead of that person on another line, would that be revenge? I don't really have a problem with that. But if you stab that person that jumped ahead of you in line, then i do have a problem with that. So I think you would be best served if you set some sort of boundaires to your question.

Or do you think that we should be forgiving, that revenge only causes the perpetration of violence in society? If you think so, can you actually forgive everyone that harms you or your loved ones?
    Forgiveness is different than revenge. I don't think I could forgive someone that did violence to me or a loved one. I may not however take revenge.

The death penality is justice. When a death penalty is established through legislation - the will of the people - carried out by an arrest from legal authorities (police), tried fairly in a court of law, held up for review by supeioir courts, and then carried out government officials, that is not revenge. That is justice.

And as we are in a literature forum, what was the best revenge story you've ever read?
    Hamlet.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I am a strong believer in an Eye for an Eye, I have no problem with revenge I think a person has the right to retaliate against someone who has wronged them. But I do believe that the punishment has to meet the crime as it where. Much like Virgil's example about the line. I do not think it is justified to do something more severe then the thing which has been done to you.

I have a great deal of respect for those who can be forgiving and for those who choose peaceful means over violence, but I myself am no true pacifist. I know it is probably not a good thing, but I hold grudges. If someone wrongs me I am not capable of forgiving them until I think they have paid for their actions. Then once they get what they deserve I can put the whole thing behind me.

I think the death penalty is justified and I am all for it. Why should the criminals have more of a right to live then the victims they have stolen life from.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I have a great deal of respect for those who can be forgiving and for those who choose peaceful means over violence, but I myself am no true pacifist. I know it is probably not a good thing, but I hold grudges. If someone wrongs me I am not capable of forgiving them until I think they have paid for their actions. Then once they get what they deserve I can put the whole thing behind me.
    That's the bad thing about revenge. You can't move forward until the perpetrator has paid their debt. What if they never pay their debt?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I think the death penalty is justified and I am all for it. Why should the criminals have more of a right to live then the victims they have stolen life from.
    Agree in that point

but for loved ones.. & ppl who hurt us.. i believe that mercy & forgiving is the best way to revenge
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    That's the bad thing about revenge. You can't move forward until the perpetrator has paid their debt. What if they never pay their debt?
    Then I will not forgive them and continue to hate them, and well that is fine with me becasue I don't need to like someone who has wronged me anyway.

There is this girl who I haven't seen sense I was in elementry school and she was in highschool at the time, and to this day I still hate her for what she did to me. If I were to run into her in public somewhere I would punch her in the face or something.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

There is this girl who I haven't seen sense I was in elementry school and she was in highschool at the time, and to this day I still hate her for what she did to me. If I were to run into her in public somewhere I would punch her in the face or something.
    Why don't you just let it go .. ? Forgive her not for who she is .. but coz you are greater than a punch on her face..move on in your life & forgive all those who have wronged you .. Then you'll feel happy & pleased inside you.
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoope View Post
    Why don't you just let it go .. ? Forgive her not for who she is .. but coz you are greater than a punch on her face..move on in your life & forgive all those who have wronged you .. Then you'll feel happy & pleased inside you.
    Forgiving someone who does not deserve to be forgived would not make me happy. I am not a warm and fuzzy person and have no wish to be so.

But well I am a writer, and so when I cannot confront people face to face for whatever reason, well a lot of the characters in my stories are based in varrious ways off of people I know or have known, and so how they fair in the stories or the nature of the characters that are influenced by them, refelcts my personal feelings towrd them.

Then I will not forgive them and continue to hate them, and well that is fine with me becasue I don't need to like someone who has wronged me anyway.

You punch her in the face then you get arrested for assault, it may make you feel better for about a second but then you're faced with legal bills and perhaps jail time/community service so in fact she's gotten you twice.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I don't know how to quote!!! So let's do it manually...

Dark Muse said:
    "I am a strong believer in an Eye for an Eye, I have no problem with revenge I think a person has the right to retaliate against someone who has wronged them. But I do believe that the punishment has to meet the crime as it where."

Do you really think that you're wise enough to know exactly what kind of punishment is enough to make "justice"? Who are we to know if we are not being too rough, or not rought enough? Imagine if someone kills your husband, then you go and kill her husband too. However, you work and she doesn't, so her children starve because their father, who used to buy them food, is dead. And the children are innocent. Is it justice? My point is, we never know how our actions will affect the life of others.

There is a song here in my country that says somthing like: My anger is the poison I take trying to kill someone else.

Pessimistic Philo Writer Mr Hyde's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Revenge is pleasurable.
    Last edited by Mr Hyde; 10-17-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    Life is a sadistic joke with no pun line.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    You punch her in the face then you get arrested for assault, it may make you feel better for about a second but then you're faced with legal bills and perhaps jail time/community service so in fact she's gotten you twice.
    First of all I did not intend that to be take so litteraly. Just if I happend to run into her, I would not pretend to be all nicey nicey and well I probably would call her a certain unsvaory word.

Do you really think that you're wise enough to know exactly what kind of punishment is enough to make "justice"? Who are we to know if we are not being too rough, or not rought enough? Imagine if someone kills your husband, then you go and kill her husband too. However, you work and she doesn't, so her children starve because their father, who used to buy them food, is dead. And the children are innocent. Is it justice? My point is, we never know how our actions will affect the life of others.
    Well I will decide for myself what I think is deserved. For example, if someone steps on my foot, I am not going to respond by shooting them. That would be extreme.

Also I would not blame someone innocent for something someone else did to me. If a woman killed my husband then my anger would be directed at her personaly and I would wish bodily harm upon herself not those around her. As far as her family growing up without a mother, guess she should have thought about that before coming after my loved ones.

Imagine if everybody retaliated when they felt someone had done them wrong. The world would be chaotic, because making mistakes is part of human nature. We all make mistakes, and many times those mistakes hurt other people. I think that society today (movies, books, politics,...) glamourizes revenge, so people are proud to say they would make someone pay if they did them wrong. And that's one of the reasons why the world is so chaotic today.

Blog Entries
    Well that is why there is a balance, there are people upon both sides. Personally I would not want to live in a world where no one was willing to fight for anything either. But there are people on both sides of the spectrum.

And revenge is part of my culture. I grew in an Italian family, or half-Italian. And I was raised with the idea that if someone comes after you, or your loved ones, you do not just look away or sit upon your heals. You do have you have to do.

As well there is a bit of a difference between someone just making a mistake, and someone doing something that is malicious to another person.

To use your own example, of the woman killing someone's husband, that is more then a mistake. If a person intentionally acts to hurt another person, that is no mistake.

And when I speak of revenge and being wronged, I am talking of when a person directly and intentionally does something against me, not if they just make a mistake.

Pessimistic Philo Writer Mr Hyde's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In truth there is no such thing as the general good as there is no "real" world.

Man's absurd ingenuousness to regard himself as the sense and measure of all things is the very insanity that takes utility to a whole new extragavance in transformation of what we call morality.

In reality what flies straight into the face of this is that there exists no absolute state of affairs- no "thing-in-itself."

Values are not real and they never shall be beyond the hysteric symptoms of the valuer.

They are but mere simplifications for the abstract mind.

A value may be real enough relatively to the observer by their own will but amongst a objective existence it shall always remain non-existent.

In pragmatism it is obvious that the only way to convince someone of moral propositions one must find common ground, a shared moral belief and thus building the coercive convincing bridge there but alas if we should find ourselves with a man who rejects morality outright that "refuses to see other peoples reasoning" out comes the stabbing spears.

So it appears that morality shows its true meaning as a deceptive form of convincing others.

Why do I have to justify my actions?

Actions are actions they are neither right or wrong.

Killing is killing; whether its done for duty, money, or for fun.

Purpose is not a requisite of nature as such a thing is purely reduced to imagination.

There is no "being" behind doing,working or becoming.

The "doer" is a mere appendage to the action as the action is everything.

There exists no "doing-doing" nor is there a thing-in-itself.

All phenomena extends from homogenuity with moral differentions being reduced to perspective.
    Last edited by Mr Hyde; 10-17-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    Life is a sadistic joke with no pun line.

Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast