View Poll Results: 'Lord of the Flies': Final Verdict

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

6 12.24%
  • *** Average.

3 6.12%
  • **** It is a good book.

14 28.57%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

26 53.06%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: February '05 Book: Lord of the Flies

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Those who have participated in LOTF discussions, if you would like to join the Live Chat on MSN, please send your email addresses (preferably a hotmail one) to me via Forum PM so that we can arrange a date and time (sometime during the last week of the February). Thank you!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I wonder if there's a link between Piggy and The Lord of the Flies which was a pig's head.

Spoiler-
    i think the reason that Ralph doesn't mention the little un that died is because Simon and Piggy stick out in his mind b/c they were murdered. which all goes with the fact that when they got on the island they were innocent childern but no longer.
    I like the fact that Sam and Eric is made into one. I think Golding did this b/c they were always together, did everything as one. I can only think of one time they acted seperate and that was when they were guarding the fort and Ralph approached them. One immediately told him to leave while the other was more helpful, and one eventually told Jack where Ralph was hiding.
    I was relieved in the end when the officer came to rescue them, but i find it ironic that it was the fire that was meant to kill or find ralph that was seen from the sea. I mean the whole book he's fighting to keep a fire going and in the end he's fighting for his life not the fire.
    My book has notes at the back that is someone discussing what they believe Golding was thinking i guess. Anyway the scene where they kill the pig that gets its head cut off is implied to be sexual (when Roger sticks the pig in the rectum).

I also find it ironic that the rescue comes from an officer, soldier;people who fight professionally. It is not religion, politics or science which comes to their rescue.
    ~
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by mister_noel_y2k
    I wonder if there's a link between Piggy and The Lord of the Flies which was a pig's head.
    That is an interesting thought, noel. Reminded me something I read about Piggy's death:
    Roger, the character least able to understand the civilizing impulse, crushes the conch shell as he looses the boulder and kills Piggy, the character least able to understand the savage impulse. As we see in the next chapter, Ralph, the boy most closely associated with civilization and order, destroys the Lord of the Flies, the governing totem of the dark impulses within each individual.
    However, I am not sure if (or what kind) Golding was trying to establish a connection between Piggy and the pig's head as Lord of the Flies.
    ~
    ~

I think the pig's head in relation to Piggy would probably be that Piggy's influence was dying and that with time Piggy would end up with his influence.
    currently in my world of insanity and randomism

Quote Originally Posted by Bongitybongbong
    I think the pig's head in relation to Piggy would probably be that Piggy's influence was dying and that with time Piggy would end up with his influence.
    Cab you elaborate on this please, Bong? I am not sure I am following you. Thanks
    ~
    ~

With every successful pig hunt Piggy's influence was weakened, but the pig head represented the end of Piggy's influence on the other boys except Ralph.

Blog Entries
    Unless the pighunts were symbolic foreshadowing of piggy's demise?

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw
    Unless the pighunts were symbolic foreshadowing of piggy's demise?
    I thought that's what I wrote...here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    and that with time Piggy would end up with his influence.

Spoiler

Thinking about the characters who died on the island... The little boy who had a mark on his face, Simon who suffers from seizures/faints (epilepsy?) and Piggy, who suffers from asthma. All physical problems... Is Golding trying to say something to us? Survival of the fittest?
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 02-20-2005 at 09:41 AM.
    ~
    ~

Another question springs to mind: Could Simon's loss of consciousness at times account for his 'dialogue' with Lord of the Flies?
    ~
    ~

i think that you are right scheherazade. he was either unconscious or hallucinating. i had never really thought about the fact the ones that died had some impairment of some kind, but i would agree with you there too

a tiny little place called Earth, my corner of the universe and beyond
    It may be survival of the most savage which seems to coincide with survival of the fittest or maybe its more like survival of the strongest rather than fittest because in all honesty ralph was fit, one of the fittest, but not the mentally or physical strongest. Reminds me of hearing about the nazis killin gof deformed children at birth... the youn un and simon probably would have been killed at birth havign them be ailed as they are, this book was written in 1954 ten years after the nazis, it would still be a major influence in most poeples lives.
    "It all comes down to what we make of ourselves, eh?"
    -The Fairy Godmother

"Sing on, poor souls! The night is short, and the morning will part you forever!"
    - Uncle Tom's Cabin

I think that was a common practise in those days although few nations would care to admit it today. I remember reading an article in TIME magazine couple of years ago that in Switzerland, they prevented mentally handicapped people from conceiving through various methods. And even used them for some medical tests.

I think the term 'fit' does not only encompass physical fitness but also the quality of being able to fit in, adapt to environment. In that sense, Ralph was not able to fit in probably because he did not want to let his civilized self go.

I wondered why it is Piggy who helps the little ones to speak up in meetings whereas it is Simon who actually who helps them out in daily life?
    ~
    ~

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast