Quote Originally Posted by Cupcorn View Post
In case no one mentioned this yet, Golding said he used school boys as his characters because

1. Children were more likely and quick to fall into savagery when put away from civilization.
2. Boys were also more likely to fall into savagery than girls.
3. Golding didn't want girls to be mixed in with the boys since sexual drives/romance would occur, and that would get in the way for his goal to demonstrate evil in humanity.
4. He grew up as a boy himself, so he actually understood how little boys may act. He didn't want to display the girls incorrectly.

Roger missed Henry because his sense of civilization kept him from hurting Henry. There was an invisible force that kept him from being able to hit Henry. "Yet there was a space round Henry, perhaps six yards in diameter, into which he [Roger] dare not throw. Here, invisible yet strong, was the taboo of the old life. Round the squatting child was the protection of parents and school and policemen and the law. Roger's arm was conditioned by a civilization that knew nothing of him and was in ruins." (chapter 4).

I'm not sure what else some of you are troubled with. I only understood much of the book because I was excellently taught at a class, but you could go around reading analysis websites if you'd like, since they tend to have pretty accurate analysis's.
Just another note, Simon didn't actually know for sure that Ralph was going home in an unexpected way. He just predicted it, that's all, though it's still some serious foreshadowing to consider. "Simon nodded. 'All the same. You'll get back all right. I think so, anyway.'" (chapter 7).