Thread: The YELLOW WALLPAPER

The YELLOW WALLPAPER

i'm doing an essay on the story "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins-Gilman...can anyone give me any tips about the story and the good and bad points of the story?

thank you

Depends what the essay question is really.

In short this is a "lost" text that deals with female oppression and deep psychological issues. So the most obvious thing to bear in mind when reading this is the role of the husband and wife, how does he treat her? What does she do in return? What significance does the wallpaper play in the novella?

The "good" or "bad" elements are entirely personal to the individual reading the text, so what do you think are the good and bad elements? Why? Where are they?

It's a really simple story to understand. I found it rather awful; her thesis was simply repeated over and over, and the imagery, though interesting, was extremely limited.

I suggest actually reading the story. It's on here, and it's not long.

well i missed a few lessons at school due to illness..so that wasn't very good but what i read today was quite, confusing? I haven't read enough yet to decide my own view on the story but it seems deep and emotional already. Page by page she seems to be dragged under by her own psychological state.

I'll post more and more each time i read it but the notes already given to me are very good so thank you. I do apologise that i haven't been given the essay question already but i will tell you when i have it.

Thank You.

i have finally got my essay question haha

the essay is about how women were treated in the 19th century. Please can anyone help?

the other story we are looking at is "Tony Kytes, the arch-deciever" which is an amazing story.

thank you