Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: how many books a year do you read?

how many books a year do you read?

im one of those weirdos who gets through 60-70 books a year. how bout the rest of you?

a tiny little place called Earth, my corner of the universe and beyond
    Wow thats a lot, i get around to reading maybe twenty to thirty, depends on how my year goes...!
    "It all comes down to what we make of ourselves, eh?"
    -The Fairy Godmother

"Sing on, poor souls! The night is short, and the morning will part you forever!"
    - Uncle Tom's Cabin

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Hmmmm.......if a weirdo reads 60-70 books a year........I am in some serious trouble...

If I am not in classes, i read 3-5 books a week.......sometimes more if it is really simplistic, or rather short. I go to the library once a week. I have library cards from four different provinces in Canada (I travel a little).....

I have kept up this voracious pace (more or less)since I learned to read as a youngster. Never has a week of my life gone by since then, when I have not read a book.

So what catagory does that put me into?

Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    Hmmmm.......if a weirdo reads 60-70 books a year........I am in some serious trouble...

If I am not in classes, i read 3-5 books a week.......sometimes more if it is really simplistic, or rather short. I go to the library once a week. I have library cards from four different provinces in Canada (I travel a little).....

I have kept up this voracious pace (more or less)since I learned to read as a youngster. Never has a week of my life gone by since then, when I have not read a book.

So what catagory does that put me into?
    Is that a rhetorical question?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I used to read about 70 books a year until I went to ht University, now the number dropped to about 30, unless you count textbooks and articles…
    I it sad really, the university is supposed to crate educated people, but my general knowledge is actually worse the before.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I managed to read more than 50 a year before I started working. Now I hardly have time to finish a book within a week .

I read about 30-50 books in a year.
    currently in my world of insanity and randomism

Hmmm, it depends with me. If I feel like it, I can read 1-2 books every week or two, but that seems only if I have the time (reciprocating with school). While going to school full-time, however, I read through about 3-5 books per month.

Quantity is good, but quality is better. Tradition has it that Plato re-wrote the first page of the Republic 50 times. The story might be apocryphal, but consider how long various authors have labored on their book. Gibbon worked 20 years on "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire." When he finally sent it to press, he commented that the work of writing had been his daily companion, and it was like he had now lost an old friend. When one of the members of Parliament met Gibbon in a pub, he blustered: "Another d@mn fat book, eh, Mr. Gibbon! Scribble, scribble, scribble, eh Mr. Gibbon."

Mortimer Adler wrote "How to Read a Book." I noticed the entire text available on line for free at of all places a Korean/Japanese site (I cant tell them apart).

Blog Entries
    I usually have about 3-7 books going at a time and I finish them in about a month or so, depends on school... I would read a lot more if I had the time.. it is about 30-50 a year I think but it's always getting less and less as school goes on.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Seated in a very full bath, reading a four-year-old letter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDog
    I used to read about 70 books a year until I went to ht University, now the number dropped to about 30, unless you count textbooks and articles…
    I it sad really, the university is supposed to crate educated people, but my general knowledge is actually worse the before.
    A similar point struck me this last week as well. I'm lucky enough to be majoring in Literature, but after all the reading I do for my classes, I don't actually have time time to read what I want, or for pleasure. Isn't there something wrong there?
    "To get straight to the worst, what I'm about to offer isn't really a short story at all but a sort of prose home movie..."

Memories of the Future

seems like theres a lot of young people on this board. myself being 20 and studying history and english at the university of the west of england in bristol how about the rest of you?

and yeah its a ***** having to read so many uni books and articles but on the whole ive discovered lots about history that i didnt know and now appreciate as well as new ways to look at literature. but i do manage to squeeze in the odd novel or two that i would like to read myself now and then.

Hmm... didn't really read a lot last year or the year before that or the year before that because I was too busy playing videoga-- because I was to busy doing stuff. This year I made a New Year's Resolution to read more books, though, and so far so good. I've read 10 books already. Not a lot compared to some of you guys, but good enough for me.

right now i read somewhere between 50 and 70 books a year. unfortunatly i think that will probably change one i get to college in the fall
    "To aquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life."
    ~ W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries
    i was a bookworm once upon a time. then in early 2002 i got a computer.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast