View Poll Results: Please vote for the book you would like to read by November 30th.

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miramar

2 22.22%
  • The Beggar

2 22.22%
  • The Map of Love

4 44.44%
  • Maze of Justice: Diary of a Country Prosecutor

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December / Egypt Reading Poll

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

December / Egypt Reading Poll

In December, we will be reading a book by an Egyptian author.

Please post your nominations in this thread by October 31st.

Some information on the books:

Miramar by Mahfouz

Begger by Mahfouz

The Map of Love by Soueif

Maze of Justice: Diary of a Country Prosecutor by Tawfik Al-Hakim

*** This poll will close on November 30th. ***
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I'd like to nominate the novel Miramar by Nobel Prize winner Naguib Mahfouz.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastmelon View Post
    I'd like to nominate the novel Miramar by Nobel Prize winner Naguib Mahfouz.
    I have heard of Mahfouz but I've not read anything. I'm interested in something from the middle east and while I don't know of anything to nominate I will try to participate on this one.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I'll go for another book by Naguib Mahfouz called The Beggar. I've always wanted to read it, and I bought a copy of it two months ago or so. Miramar is a very good read too. I'll be happy to read it if it won
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Blog Entries
    Oh good. I'll vote for that one.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    hummm I would quite like to read A map of love by Ahdaf Soueif but I have a feeling that might have been originally written in english Id need to look at a copy to know for sure.

Nossa do yur rember ( this would be going back about 7 years now) there was a TV series on a book in Ramadan I cant rember who wrote it but the series was called Ahdath el saba7 we el masa because there was a death and a birth in every single episode?
    THat one would be a good one to read if I culd rember who wrote it.
    It transalates as converstaions of the morning and evening. Ill have to look it up .
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Nossa do yur rember ( this would be going back about 7 years now) there was a TV series on a book in Ramadan I cant rember who wrote it but the series was called Ahdath el saba7 we el masa because there was a death and a birth in every single episode?
    THat one would be a good one to read if I culd rember who wrote it.
    It transalates as converstaions of the morning and evening. Ill have to look it up .
    That's a Naguib Mahfouz novel as well. I just bought it yesterday...lol. It's called Hadeeth Al Saba7 Wal Masa'a. But the book itself is based mainly on character sketches. It's divided into many chapters, each one has an Arabic letter as its title, like a dictionary. And each letter has certain characters, and all of them are linked by certain events. I didn't read it, I was planning on doing so though, cuz one of my professors told us a couple of days ago that it might help us understand more about characterization in novels.
    I suggested The Beggar cuz I never read a political/philosophical novel by Mahoufz before.

hummm I would quite like to read A map of love by Ahdaf Soueif but I have a feeling that might have been originally written in english Id need to look at a copy to know for sure.
    Yup, she wrote it in English. I thought about nominating it too, but I realised that the writer is half Egyptian half British, and she wrote all her books in English. I still wanna read it though, and I already have it, so whenever you feel like reading it, we can have a separate thread for the book's discussion.

Well, I would like to nominate The Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif. She is Egyptian. It doesn't really matter here if she wrote the book in English, does it?
    "He lives most gaily who knows best how to deceive himself. Ha-ha!"
    - CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
    (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    Yup, she wrote it in English. I thought about nominating it too, but I realised that the writer is half Egyptian half British, and she wrote all her books in English. I still wanna read it though, and I already have it, so whenever you feel like reading it, we can have a separate thread for the book's discussion.
    Your on Nossa, if you can wait till the summer to read it only this is my final year at uni and kind of crazy what with research project dissertation thinggys along with the normal craziness. Humm that sort of reminds me that Book fair is soon isnt it, are you saving up for it yet?

|currently reading

Blog Entries
    Ive been thinking alot more about the nominations especially as we only have a few more days to nominate!!
    I would really really like to read A Naughty Boy Called Antar by Mohamed Tawfik, but I can only find the new hardcover thast due out in December in english... so if that is a no, Maze of Justice: Diary of a Country Prosecutor by Tawfik Al-Hakim.

|currently reading

Blog Entries
    Your on Nossa, if you can wait till the summer to read it only this is my final year at uni and kind of crazy what with research project dissertation thinggys along with the normal craziness. Humm that sort of reminds me that Book fair is soon isnt it, are you saving up for it yet?
    It's in two months time I think. And I didn't save as much as I did last year...I spent the money I already saved on other books I bought during the summer My plan goes like this, I go to the book fair, with my dad, and he gets to pay for all the books!!

And concerning The Map of Love, I was thinking that maybe you can ask one of the mods if it'd be okay to nominate it. I mean Ahdaf Soueif is still Egyptian, the problem is the book was originally written in English.

And I was going to nominate a book by Yusuf Idris, but I couldn't find it on Amazon. I guess Naguib Mahfouz is just easier to find. I really like some contemporary Egyptian writers, people who appeared in the past 10-20 years. But sadly, almost none of their works are even translated not to mention being sold online. I was watching an interview a few days ago with Paulo Coelho, although I hated his book The Alchemist, I really liked his personality. He was talking about how Egyptian/Arabic books are not known in the Western world, saying that publishing houses aren't supportive to translating and publishing books that might not sell. It's a shame really.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Nossa;634065]It's in two months time I think. And I didn't save as much as I did last year...I spent the money I already saved on other books I bought during the summer My plan goes like this, I go to the book fair, with my dad, and he gets to pay for all the books!! [/qte]
    ha your lucky the only time I ever went with my day he spent the whole 20 minues I was there going yallah yallah how long does it take to buy a book?! after that I always went on my own then I copuld spen dhours and hours!

And concerning The Map of Love, I was thinking that maybe you can ask one of the mods if it'd be okay to nominate it. I mean Ahdaf Soueif is still Egyptian, the problem is the book was originally written in English.
    well lets check...ohh I am a mod! but I think in this case rules is rules is rules and the rules are written in the langugae by an asuthor concidered a represntitive of the cdountry and Im afraid Ahdaf is a bit too much like me!
    And I was going to nominate a book by Yusuf Idris, but I couldn't find it on Amazon. I guess Naguib Mahfouz is just easier to find. I really like some contemporary Egyptian writers, people who appeared in the past 10-20 years. But sadly, almost none of their works are even translated not to mention being sold online. I was watching an interview a few days ago with Paulo Coelho, although I hated his book The Alchemist, I really liked his personality. He was talking about how Egyptian/Arabic books are not known in the Western world, saying that publishing houses aren't supportive to translating and publishing books that might not sell. It's a shame really.
    How about Amaret el YAcobein I know that was transalted, have you read it though? my cousin did and said it was great was going to lend it to me but taita and 3mity had been listening to the radio and they said it was "ketab illet edab and wouldnt let him give it to me...

|currently reading

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I'm going to have to check them ones out before i vote. I've only ever heard of Map of love. hummm...
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Nossa, who should I vote for?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast