Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latin American Literature Recommendations

Latin American Literature Recommendations

I have been reading your to read lists, what you are currently reading and what you have read. I must say that I really admire your taste in literature. However, I am a little sad that most of you have not mentioned a single latin american author. I love the latin american literature of the XX century, especially magical realism novels and stories.

Being Mexican, I am going to promote one of my favourite Mexican authors and perhaps the best one Mexico has given us, Juan Rulfo. I urge you to read the first pages of Pedro Paramo, the story of Juan Preciado who promises his dying mother that he will visit Comala, her hometown, and search for his father, Pedro Paramo. His mother's words lead Juan to expect a ``beautiful view of a green plain,'' but instead he finds a ghost town and learns that Pedro is already dead. I don't want to tell you too much about it because I believe you should discover a book yourself.

I came to Comala because I had been told that my father, a man named Pedro Páramo, lived there. It was my mother who told me. And I had promised her that after she died I would go see him. I squeezed her hands as a sign I would do it. She was near death, and I would have promised her anything. “Don’t fail to go see him,” she had insisted. “Some call him one thing, some another. I’m sure he will want to know you.” At the time all I could do was tell her I would do what she asked, and from promising so often I kept repeating the promise even after I had pulled my hands free of her death grip.
    Still earlier she had told me:
    “Don’t ask him for anything. Just what is ours. What he should have given me but never did…Make him pay, son, for all those years he put us out of his mind.”
    “I will, Mother.”
    I never meant to keep my promise. But before I knew it my head began to swim with dreams and my imagination took flight. Little by little I began to build a world around a hope, centered on the man called Pedro Páramo, the man who had been my mother’s husband. That was why I had come to Comala.
    It was during the dog days, the season when the August wind blows hot, venomous with the rotten stench of saponaria blossoms.
    The road rose and fell. It rises or falls depending on whether you’re coming or going. If you are leaving, it’s uphill; but as you arrive it’s downhill.
    “What did you say that town there is called?”
    “Comala, señor.”
    “You’re sure that’s Comala?”
    ”I’m sure, señor.”
    “It’s a sorry-looking place, what happened to it?”
    “It’s the times, señor.”
    I had expected to see the town of my mother’s memories, of her nostalgia – nostalgia laced with sighs. She had lived her lifetime sighing about Comala, about going back. But she never had. Now I had come in her place. I was seeing things through her eyes, as she had seen them. She had given me her eyes to see. Just as you pass the gate of Los Colimotes there’s a beautiful view of a green plain tinged with the yellow of ripe corn. From there you can see Comala, turning the earth white, and lighting it at night. Her voice was secret, muffled, as if she were talking to herself…Mother.
    “And why are you going to Comala, if you don’t mind my asking?” I heard the man say.
    “I’ve come to see my father,” I replied.
    “Umh!” he said.
    And again silence.
    We were making our way down the hill to the clip-clop of the burros’ hooves. Their sleepy eyes were bulging from the August heat.
    “You’re going to get some welcome.” Again I heard the voice of the man walking at my side. “They’ll be happy to see someone after all the years no one’s come this way.”
    After a while he added: “Whoever you are, they’ll be glad to see you.”
    In the shimmering sunlight the plain was a transparent lake dissolving in mists that veiled a gray horizon. Farther in the distance, a range of mountains. And farther still, faint remoteness.
    “And what does your father look like, if you don’t mind my asking?”
    “I never knew him,” I told the man. “I only know his name is Pedro Páramo.”
    “Umh! That so?”
    “Yes. At least that was the name I was told.”
    Yet again I heard the burro driver’s “Umh!”
    I had run into him at the crossroads called Los Encuentros. I had been waiting there, and finally this man had appeared.
    “Where are you going?” I asked.
    “Down that way, señor.”
    “Do you know a place called Comala?”
    “That’s the very way I’m going.”
    So I followed him. I walked along behind him, trying to keep up with him, until he seemed to remember I was following and slowed down a little. After that, we walked side by side, so close our shoulders were nearly touching.
    “Pedro Páramo’s my father, too,” he said.
    A flock of crows swept across the empty sky shrilling “caw, caw, caw”
    Up-and downhill we went, but always descending. We had left the hot wind behind and were sinking into pure, airless heat. The stillness seemed to be waiting for something.
    “It’s hot here.” I said.
    ”You might say. But this is nothing,” my companion replied.“Try to take it easy. You’ll feel it even more when we get to Comala. That town sits on the coals of the earth, at the very mouth of hell. They say that when people from there die and go to hell, they come back for a blanket.”
    “Do you know Pedro Páramo?” I asked.
    I felt I could ask because I had seen a glimmer of goodwill in his eyes.
    “Who is he?” I pressed him.
    “Living bile,” was his reply.
    And he lowered his stick against the burros for no reason at all, because they had been far ahead of us, guided by the descending trail.
    The picture of my mother I was carrying in my pocket felt hot against my heart, as if she herself were sweating. It was an old photograph, worn around the edges, but it was the only one I had ever seen of her. I found it in the kitchen armoire, inside a clay pot filled with herbs: dried lemon balm, castilla blossoms, sprigs of rue. I had kept it with me ever since. It was all I had. My mother always hated having her picture taken. She said photographs were a tool of withcraft. And that may have been so, because hers was riddled with pinpricks, and at the location of the heart there was a hole you could stick you middle finger through.
    I had brought the photograph with me, thinking it might help my father recognize who I was.
    “Take a look,” the burro driver said, stopping. “You see that rounded hill that looks like a hog bladder? Well, the Media Luna lies right behind there. Now turn that way. You see the brow of that hill? Look hard. And now back this way. You see that ridge? The one so far you can hardly see it? Well, all that’s the Media Luna.
    Hopefully I have sparked your curiosity to read the entire story which isn't long, btw, about 124 pages. The language may seem simple but looks can be deceiving.

Hi Rechka.
    We do read latin american literature around here, it's just that it may not appear in the thread you mentioned, for one reason or another. But we do pay attention to it.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Thank you for your recommendation, Rechka, and I do partially agree that some Latin-American authors seem neglected. On this particular forum, however, I find the fact mostly an exception, many people noticeably being fans of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Jorge Luis Borges (especially his short stories, I love), and, one of my favorite poets, Pablo Neruda, to name a few.
    Thank you again for the selection of the story. I will have to read it sometime.

Regarding this book, I have to agree with Susan Sontag's words when she said: "Pedro Páramo is not only one of the masterpieces of twentieth-century world literature, but one of the most influential of the century's books; indeed it would be hard to overestimate its impact on literature in Spanish."
    "Non me pudet fateri nescire quod nesciam" Cicero

I just finished reading the fragment. I think part of the problem why the book is not as successful as it is in Latin America, and especially in Mexico, is because of what is lost in translation. I would read it all in English if I had it because I know what a wonderful story it is but it didn't grab me as the Spanish version did.
    "Non me pudet fateri nescire quod nesciam" Cicero

Latin American literature is cool, I think it mostly would be enjoyable even if the stories werent great, cos the style is SO lively! I think I read something Mexican ages ago, I will check cos I don't remember the name... And Garcia Marquez of course rules! And I read Isabel Allende, even if sometimes it feels a bit commercial (I mean, she's too popular)...Same for Coelho, even if he's not Spanish speaking I guess it matters?
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Finally! I had to get to page 30 before I found a thread on Latin American authors! I love Spanish Literature, and hope to some day read it in it's original. Aside from the authors already mentioned above:

Marquez
    Allende
    Juan Rulfo
    Jorge Luis Borges
    and
    Pablo Nerudo

I have heard highly of Mario Vargas Llosa.

Are there any other recommendations out there?

I've only read one book by Llosa - "The Feast Of The Goat" - but I liked it a lot and would gladly read something else by him. Any recommendations?

José Carlos Somoza is Cuban, so I suppose he counts? "The Athenian Murders" is an absolute hoot, at the same time a send-up of the mystery genre (taking place in ancient Greece, with a small rotund moustached detective named Hercules Pontor) and an Umberto Eco-like meta-novel about philosophy.

Oh, and Borges rocks my socks.
    But the time ain't tall, yet on time you depend
    And no word is possessed by no special friend
    And though the line is cut it ain't quite the end,
    I'll just bid farewell till we meet again.
    - Bob Dylan

I love Latin American literature as well, though I am Swedish

Some of my favourites are anything by Gabriel García Márquez, I've read several books by Mario Vargas Llosa that I liked a lot. Also La Mujer Habitada/The Inhabited Woman by Gioconda Bellí. Brilliant stuff!

abnihilisation of the ety
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez is really wonderful. Particularly 100 years of solitude.

I also love Pablo Neruda - Residence of Earth is just absolutely wonderful. Beautifully written.

Thanks for the recommendations too.!

To those who like Borges, I recommend Adolfo Bioy Casares, they were close friends, and his style resembles Borges' in some aspects.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

avatar by John Pickman Wendigo_49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    To those who like Borges, I recommend Adolfo Bioy Casares, they were close friends, and his style resembles Borges' in some aspects.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

Hermann Hesse
    Demian

I just finished Julio Cortázars "A Certain Lucas" and liked it a lot - short little philosophizing chapters, often no more than 1-2 pages, taking ordinary situations and more or less free-associating them into something completely different. Ever so slightly surrealistic, deep without getting heavy (most of the time), and often wickedly funny. Comparing him to Borges might seem cliché, but I can't help it. Has anyone else read anything by him? I'm told "Hopscotch" is supposed to be pretty good?
    But the time ain't tall, yet on time you depend
    And no word is possessed by no special friend
    And though the line is cut it ain't quite the end,
    I'll just bid farewell till we meet again.
    - Bob Dylan

Unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of reading many Latin American pieces.

"So many books, so little time!"

Hispanic/Latino American short stories

Does anyone know where a Hispanic/Latino American writer can discuss short story writing or am I in the right place?

I plan to write some stories , but they are not just from an American perspective, but from a Hispanic-American perspective.

Since I am a new writer, I need to discuss my work with others for citicism and analysis.

Any help appreciated in this matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast