Thread: Question:wounded feet of Christ?

Question:wounded feet of Christ?

need help plz with understanstanding this

why did Jesus Christ's feet wound?

What is the pligrimge, which has smth to do with wounded feet?

when Christ washed his disciples' wounded feet, what was the reason behind the wounding?

thanks
    "you can fool all of the people some of the time;you can fool some of the people all of the time ;but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

Abraham Lincon

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Christ's feet were wounded because they were nailed to the cross. He washed his disciples feet as a gesture of purifying them for priesthood:

"The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

I have to differ with you, Kafka, on the reason and meaning for Christ's washing of the disciples feet.

The account is contained in the Gospel of John, chapter 13. The background is the practice in that region of washing feet as an act of hospitality (for Biblical evidence of this as a common practice see Luke7:36-50). While this was a standard feature of hospitality, it was also unglamorous and perhaps slightly degrading. It appears that servants usually performed this task rather than the host himself.

The primary lesson Jesus seeks to instill on his disciples by his actions as recorded in John 13 is one of humility. When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, you Lord and Teacher, have washed you feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messengers greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

These words certainly apply to all followers of Jesus in every age, yet their application to the 12 Disciples was particularly apt. Although they had followed him and learned from him for over 3 years, they still were sinful, selfish people. Recently they had argued over who was the greatest and James and John had tried to secure positions of authority in Jesus' kingdom. The fact that they were all waiting for someone else to wash their feet shows a (natural) unwillingness to degrade or humble themselves in service to others. Jesus by his example (which here reflects the whole of his life and work--cf. Philippians 2) shows them how humility and selfless is pleasing to him.

A secondary point Jesus makes with his action of washing the disciples feet is one of unity with him and cleansing by him. Simon Peter hesitated to have Jesus wash his feet. He evidently recognized how Jesus was deserving of his (Peter's) service and how unnatural it was for their "Lord and Teacher" to take up such a humble office. Jesus responds to Peter's hesitance by saying "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me." This seems quite clearly to refer to the washing away of sins/being cleansed by faith in Jesus' vicarious life, death and resurrection. Because this is the clearest sense of these words, it seems more natural to take this as being spoken to Peter by virtue of his being a sinner needing to be washed/forgiven in order to be saved than by virtue of his being a "priest" or "called worked" who was to serve the Lord in the public ministry of the gospel.