Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research paper on an author in the Romantic Period

Research paper on an author in the Romantic Period

I'm a thirty-something, just-started-college mom. I'm having the hardest time choosing an author from the Romantic Period to do my research paper on. I have only read one or two poems from this era, so I don't know much about any of these authors. I've been doing research online for days, trying to find one that is fascinating enough to do a 15 page paper on. There is sooo much information out there that I don't know how to process it all.
    I have to make a case in support of a thesis about an author in an age that I know next to nothing about.
    Any ideas?
    Kat

Can you give me a little more information? Is it American or European literature? What is the time period (from what year to what year?) What have you found so far in the way of poems (author, title). List the authors which shall be studied.

A year or so ago, I helped a student with a question on the Romantic period in American literature, but it is best to be very explicit about dates and authors, so we don't "spin our wheels."

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kateyes
    I have to make a case in support of a thesis about an author in an age that I know next to nothing about.
    Any ideas?
    Kat
    How can you write anything in support of a thesis if you know nothing about it??

I agree with Sitaram that you need to be more specific regarding your assignment topic and what you are required to do.

The amount of information available can be intimidating at times but since you are at the very beginning of your studies, try to choose someone who seems interesting to you at a glance and stick with it. If, after completing your assignment, you decide that you don't like him/her much, that will be one thing you have learnt from your assingment(if nothing else)!

Good luck!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Oops, sorry about that.

Everyone on here seems so smart I thought you could read minds too
    Sitaram, it's British Literature (1785-1830), Blake, Coleridge, Byron, Keats, Scott, EB Browning, Tennyson, E or C Bronte, Ruskin, Wilde, Kipling, Lawrence, TS Eliot (and many more, but these are the names I've actually heard of )

Most of the poems seem to be about war (French Revolution?), so I guess I was hoping one of the authors stands out above the rest, either by disagreeing or being totally crazy and over-the-top.

"How can you write anything in support of a thesis if you know nothing about it??" Yep, Scheherazade, there lies the problem
    Seriously though, I'm pretty good at research, once I have something/someone to research.

Thanks so much for your replies already.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    If you are after a poet, then it has to be EB Browning! Not only a wonderful poet but also an intriguing biography(oppressive father, romantic love affair with Robert which ended in an elopement and marriage and she overcame her illness after her marriage).
    For an writer, either one of the Brontes or DH Lawrence or Wilde(my favorite author of all times)... Both Lawrence ( interesting relationship with mother which resulted in 'Sons and Lovers') and Wilde(too open minded for his time and openly gay-jailed for being gay, which hastened his death)... again interesting biographies...
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 01-28-2005 at 12:04 PM.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Links on Blake

At first glance, Blake and T.S. Eliot stand out as very interesting; something which might be "up my alley" as far as being philosophical or transcendental.

Here are a few links on Blake.

The first one has a smashing illustration...

http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhib...lakethemes.htm

http://www.glc.k12.ga.us/BuilderV03/...asp?LPID=16514

http://www.eriding.net/amoore/poetry/blake.htm

http://www.nortexinfo.net/McDaniel/2-03-blake.html

http://www.betatesters.com/penn/blake1.htm
    Last edited by Sitaram; 01-28-2005 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Addition

I'd also recommend EB Browning, same reasons Scher has, unusual life 'story' and great poems.
    I have a plan: attack!

where black is the color and none is the number
    Kateyes, the dates you give (1785-1830) wouldn't include many of the authors you've listed! For instance, TS Eliot was born in 1888; also, I don't think he is generally considered a Romantic. I am also taking a British Romanticism class, and the primary poets we are studying are Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Lord Byron, Percy Shelley, and Keats. My only advice is if you are going to be writing about the author as well as their work, stay away from Wordsworth--the other poets led much more fascinating lives, especially Byron (although I think his poetry doesn't rank as high as the others on the list!).

The Guy in the Corner OedipusReD's Avatar

well

seeing that you're a thirty-something mother, i'd recommend Mary Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, or maybe some Dorthy Woodsworth, though, I love Percy Shelley and Coleridge myself.
    Last edited by OedipusReD; 02-03-2005 at 08:52 PM. Reason: ambiguity

I have to find a topic I could devote my dissertation to. It has to deal with British Literature up to 19th century!!!! Help me please! I have 2 days only.
    Last edited by Justyna; 10-18-2005 at 05:24 PM.

IdTakeABulletForYou
    Sounds like me...
    I have 853 poems online. Please check some out:

My Poems

IdTakeABulletForYou
    Google it... it always, almost always, works

My Poems

thanks for reply. the time is passing by I need someone's help immediately!

IdTakeABulletForYou
    Are you 2 the same people???????

My Poems

what do you mean by that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast