Thread: Poem and Poetry: WHat is the difference?

Blog Entries

Poem and Poetry: WHat is the difference?

Coleridge in Biogaphia Literaria Chapter 14, writes about poem and poetry. He defined what is Poem, but did not throw more light on what is Poetry. Can any body help me calrifying the mist of cloud shrouding the difference between Poem and Poetry?

Thanks

Dilip Barad

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by dilipbarad View Post
    Coleridge in Biogaphia Literaria Chapter 14, writes about poem and poetry. He defined what is Poem, but did not throw more light on what is Poetry. Can any body help me calrifying the mist of cloud shrouding the difference between Poem and Poetry?

Thanks

Dilip Barad
    One is a specific instance of the other. Think of 'play' and 'drama' ; or 'novel' and 'literature'. If you prefer, 'a poem' is an actual example of the abstract concept 'poetry'.

A poem is derived from poetry and the relation between the two is likened between an ocean and a drop

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Fascinating question and I am hoping that this is the right window to ask the following question: I am looking for a book on What is Poetry, written by an American poet/author -- something free and inspirational rather than academic -- to include in a course on contemporary american poetry for Italian college students majoring in American English. I would also welcome suggestions for an antho of modern and contemporary american poetry. Anybody know any good books ?

This celestial seascape! Lynne50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LLItaly View Post
    Fascinating question and I am hoping that this is the right window to ask the following question: I am looking for a book on What is Poetry, written by an American poet/author -- something free and inspirational rather than academic -- to include in a course on contemporary american poetry for Italian college students majoring in American English. I would also welcome suggestions for an antho of modern and contemporary american poetry. Anybody know any good books ?
    I would suggest How to Read a Poem (and Fall in Love with Poetry) by Edward Hirsch. He has received a Guggenheim Fellowship and a MacArthur Fellowship among other awards. He teaches at the U. of Houston.

Just recently saw him in person where he read aloud some of his poems. He was quite good, and very witty when responding to questions from the audience. After reading his book, I really wanted to explore more poetry.

Hope this little bit of info helps.
    "What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare." W.H. Davies

thank you, i will look for it.