View Poll Results: Please vote by December 1st.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taming of the Shrew

0 0%
  • Comedy of Errors

0 0%
  • Love's Labour's Lost

0 0%
  • Two Gentlemen of Verona

0 0%
  • Midsummer Night's Dream

0 0%
  • Merchant of Venice

0 0%
  • Much Ado About Nothing

0 0%
  • As You Like It

1 5.88%
  • Twelfth Night

0 0%
  • All's Well That Ends Well

1 5.88%
  • Measure for Measure

1 5.88%
  • Pericles, Prince of Tyre

0 0%
  • Tempest

0 0%
  • Titus Andronicus

0 0%
  • Romeo and Juliet

0 0%
  • Hamlet

0 0%
  • Julius Caesar

1 5.88%
  • Troilus and Cressida

1 5.88%
  • Othello

1 5.88%
  • King Lear

0 0%
  • Antony and Cleopatra

3 17.65%
  • Coriolanus

0 0%
  • Timon of Athens

0 0%
  • Cymbeline

0 0%
  • Macbeth

1 5.88%
  • The life and death of King John

0 0%
  • The life and death of King Richard the Second

4 23.53%
  • The First Part of Henry the Fourth

0 0%
  • The Second Part of Henry the Fourth

0 0%
  • The Life of Henry the Fift

0 0%
  • The first Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The second Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The third Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The Tragedie of Richard the Third

3 17.65%
  • The Famous History of the Life of King Henry the Eight

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shakespearean Winter '09

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
    Well, Janine- I didn't vote. I never contribute very much to the conversation and I hate to vote and then be a blob. If someone who will really contribute would rather read something else I would hate to be the blob that squashed what they wanted to read.
    You are too thoughtful, Motherhubbard, we all vote and then many times people don't show up anyway; I have been quilty of that, too; although I have posted something in the last twoS discussions, but then they seemed to come to a halt or go into limbo - I am still hoping to get back to MWOW; I know that Virgil said he did also; we just got sidetracked a bit. There is no pressure here. You can post a little or a lot, depending on what you can do; maybe just make a few comments now and then. You are not a blob! You have just as much right to vote as anyone here, but don't let me sway you. However you do have the right, so maybe consider it?
    Last edited by Janine; 12-01-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    I have been reading Merry Wives of Windsor and will start posting on it tomorrow.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

biting writer
    I still prefer a problem or difficult play like Measure For Measure, which was Shakespeare's way of being dissatified with comedy and farce. These days I am more interested in the plays that get less attention, like King John, Titus, or even Troilus, which is also *difficult.*

I think it would be nice if Lit Net invited a Shakespearean to do a voluntary discussion now and again--no slight intended to the mods. It would just be nice to have access to lecturers, or even classical actors, to inject a little vigor and do something interesting. Maybe someone retired.

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm nearing the end of a pretty busy quarter, and may have a little time for online Shakespeare discussion over part of the holidays and early January. Looks like Richard II may be next up? That would be great, since I just taught that one this term and have my recent lecture prep. handy.

Virg. seems to be indicating that the Merry Wives discussion is still up too? If so, maybe I'll pop in sometime soon when I'm not in danger of falling asleep at the keyboard.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrarch's Love View Post
    I'm nearing the end of a pretty busy quarter, and may have a little time for online Shakespeare discussion over part of the holidays and early January. Looks like Richard II may be next up? That would be great, since I just taught that one this term and have my recent lecture prep. handy.
    Petrarch, that would be like fate then if it is 'Richard II'; first I was pushing for Richard III, but now I think we would all enjoy the one that looks like the winner. I do recall reading the play (read all the histories) a few years back and liking it very much. I think I recall some of it and tonight on Youtube, I came across the production with Derek Jacobi for the BBC, and it is wonderful. You know it has to be great, with Jacobi playing Richard.

Virg. seems to be indicating that the Merry Wives discussion is still up too? If so, maybe I'll pop in sometime soon when I'm not in danger of falling asleep at the keyboard.
    Well, like other things, some discussions have been slowed up, or I prefer to think they are in a temporary state of 'limbo'. I tried to revive the Lawrence Short Story discussion thread tonight and I will work next on posting something in the MWOW. Virgil and I keep saying we will resume, but then another week goes by. I guess we all have to make a concerted effort to get back to that one comedy play. The play is really quite funny and witty, observing what I read so far. I feel guilty and sorry that I did not keep up with it. I admit that I got distracted and felt a little overwhelmed, as well. I will be finishing up a book soon and then I will fully concentrate on the play, before I begin another novel; I hate to give up on anything. It would be so great if you could stop by to comment on it; you always have such insightful things to say. I love reading your commentary.

Blog Entries
    I have been reading Merry Wives and finding it very enjoyable. I will definitely post something tonight when I get home from work.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I have been reading Merry Wives and finding it very enjoyable. I will definitely post something tonight when I get home from work.
    Oh good, then I can comment on what you say and it won't be as taxing to start from scratch, again. I will try and read more today. How far did you get?
    Also, Petrarch said she most likely will comment. Can't wait to hear what you two have to say about the play.
    Last edited by Janine; 12-02-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    If the poll is correct it looks like Richard II, I read the opening lines this evening and look forward to reading the rest.
    Here were we wretched creatures of men making for each other's throats, and outraging the good earth which God had made so fair a habitation [Prester John - John Buchan].

Blog Entries
    RG57, good to have you onboard for the discussion group. The play is a good one; I read it a number of years back. I see you are new, so welcome to the forum, as well. Love your little bird avatar - kind of goes with my quote, by D.H.Lawrence, but let's hope the poor little birdie does not freeze up and die....maybe my first quote would be more appropriate, what do you think?

When will the official discussion begin?
    Last edited by Janine; 12-02-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes Janine I think he likes the first one better. It's an English Robin, apparantly that is partly how my mother gave me my name! And strangely when I read the opening to Richard II, I read "Brought Henry Hereford thy bold son", Hereford is the city of my birth, though born a commener of that city and not (sadly) a Noble.
    Last edited by RG57; 12-03-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    Here were we wretched creatures of men making for each other's throats, and outraging the good earth which God had made so fair a habitation [Prester John - John Buchan].

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RG57 View Post
    Yes Janine I think he likes the first one better. It's an English Robin, apparantly that is partly how my mother gave me my name! And strangely when I read the opening to Richard II, I read "Brought Henry Hereford thy bold son", Hereford is the city of my birth, though born a commener of that city and not (sadly) a Noble.
    RG57, I don't blame him. I like the first one best, too. How perfect, that he is an English Robin - Lawrence would definitely approve. I then take it you are named Robin; you don't have to say, if you wish to remain anonymous.
    That is a coincidence about Hereford. Isn't the city also mentioned in a line from "My Fair Lady", the musical? Actually, I always laugh when I hear the name 'Gloucester' mentioned in the Shakespeare history plays. I live in the US, but our small town is named Gloucester. I guess, I was destined to study Shakespeare. Many of the streets in our town are also named after English lords, strange because my town is notoriously Irish Catholic and also was originally settled by the Dutch...so how did they come up with the English names for the streets? These are some of them - Monmouth, Sussex, Somerset, Essex, etc....very strange. I think we even have a Henry Avenue, too....that must be for one of the King Henrys...haha. Maybe someone was reading Shakespeare when the streets were named.
    Last edited by Janine; 12-04-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Excellent, Richard II does look interesting!

Blog Entries
    Janine, you have guessed correctly yes it is Robin, I have no worries about my first name, I belong to a couple of other forums and usually use Robin in way or another. Strange, you should mention Gloucester, that is the county where my father was born, my mother in Worcestershire, so between us we cover the three counties. My favourite place on earth is the Worcester Beacon on top of the Malvern Hills, a range of hills that go across Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Whenever I see any of our place names in other countries I still get amazed, like Gloucster in your area, I don't know if you get the TV programme Morse in the States, but one episode mentioned Hereford, my eyes lit up and was surprised that they were going to go Hereford in Australia.

Where we live now a lot of the streets are named after Viking Kings and Earls, we move to Orkney 18 years ago!

biting writer
    I downloaded a Richard II e-text so that I do not have to lug old Riverside off the shelf. I will start reading it over the weekend, though I am unclear as to when the discussion starts.

I've read it before, but never studied it with previous instructors, nor seen a production.

I will try to join in with this read, I love R11. There are some standout speeches in it, really great quotes and beautiful language. I seem to remember a lot of imagery about gardens and nature, if I recall correctly. Hi Robin, I'm from quite near your neck of the woods, in Birmingham, (well it's the Midlands anyway, and I can get to Worcester and the Malverns quite easily ). I've already shown Janine a clip of Birmingham, but your area is lovelier, beautiful countryside and not a big urban sprawl. I have visited Elgar's birthplace in Malvern, but I don't do hills, I'm scared of heights ! Anyway, welcome, R11 is, I think, a very underrated play.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast