View Poll Results: Please vote by December 1st.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taming of the Shrew

0 0%
  • Comedy of Errors

0 0%
  • Love's Labour's Lost

0 0%
  • Two Gentlemen of Verona

0 0%
  • Midsummer Night's Dream

0 0%
  • Merchant of Venice

0 0%
  • Much Ado About Nothing

0 0%
  • As You Like It

1 5.88%
  • Twelfth Night

0 0%
  • All's Well That Ends Well

1 5.88%
  • Measure for Measure

1 5.88%
  • Pericles, Prince of Tyre

0 0%
  • Tempest

0 0%
  • Titus Andronicus

0 0%
  • Romeo and Juliet

0 0%
  • Hamlet

0 0%
  • Julius Caesar

1 5.88%
  • Troilus and Cressida

1 5.88%
  • Othello

1 5.88%
  • King Lear

0 0%
  • Antony and Cleopatra

3 17.65%
  • Coriolanus

0 0%
  • Timon of Athens

0 0%
  • Cymbeline

0 0%
  • Macbeth

1 5.88%
  • The life and death of King John

0 0%
  • The life and death of King Richard the Second

4 23.53%
  • The First Part of Henry the Fourth

0 0%
  • The Second Part of Henry the Fourth

0 0%
  • The Life of Henry the Fift

0 0%
  • The first Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The second Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The third Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The Tragedie of Richard the Third

3 17.65%
  • The Famous History of the Life of King Henry the Eight

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Shakespearean Winter '09

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozanny View Post
    Janine:

It has been quite some time since I've been a cable television subscriber, and I don't think I ever will be again, because after management is done renovating my unit, I am going DSL and what not and will open a Netflix account, so who needs cable if I can live off movies? Right? But when I did pay those cable fees, I was glued to Bravo, back in the 90's when they still showed a ton of foreign art films, and they used to run an old BBC production, in black and white, called The Wars of The Roses, and I believe it was an English mash of all the histories, with Ian (he did the android in the first Alien movie, I know his full name but I'm blocked...) playing Richard III, but not strictly faithful to the plays in the entire. If one wants to see Shakespeare as an abstract art mini-series though, it works.
    Jozanny, I hardly ever watch TV. I have my own TV upstairs and only watch DVD's on that one. For one, I hate commercials; they drive me insane; I have no patience with them and nowdays there are so many, that you wonder just how many minutes of the actual show you get to see. I do occasionally, watch some TV downstairs, but that is basically my mother's domain, so she is not too eager to give up her shows. I really don't miss TV. I did however, apply for the government coupon for the box one will need in January, if you don't have cable installed. Downstairs we have the basic cable; upstairs not installed. I heard with the box one can get a very clear picture; of course, you need a good set of indoor antenae and they have improved them since the old rabbit ears. This I may invest in. I admit I do like things on BBS and a few other stations. With the box, you can even get a few other stations, you could not get before. The box with the coupon may only cost about $20...so it is worth it. DSL is great. My friend got the package for computer and for TV - Fios. I have DSL for my computer but not my TV. I really like it and I have the basic plan. It is quite fast.

I loved that station Bravo! That BBC production, in black and white, called 'The Wars of The Roses', sounded pretty good. Was it Ian McKellen? Is this the film:

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-III-Ia...9197899&sr=8-1

Althought this looks updated and he is playing "Richard III"; maybe he reprised the role and they made it modern..

Well, they never are strictly faithful to the plays in the entire.

"If one wants to see Shakespeare as an abstract art mini-series though, it works"...well, most times that works for me. Everyone has a different concept of Shakespeare's plays and characters so I find the variations in productions actually fascinating. I ready accept most of them and see them as a separate art form.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schokokeks View Post
    I agree . I read it for a class on "Kingship in the Renaissance", where it was taken to illustrate legitimate (?) regicide (along with Marlowe's Edward the Second).
    I also remember something about an anonymous play called The First Part of Richard II, which leads up to the events of Richard II. The debate whether Shakespeare wrote that one, too, still isn't settled, if I remember correctly...
    Hi Schokokeks, haven't seen you around lately. Interesting what you say here about the Richard play and there being a part 1; now when you said this "The debate whether Shakespeare wrote that one, too, still isn't settled" - do you mean just the first part of all of the play - Richard II included?

I liked Richard II a lot, it's very interesting in a psychological way. But then again, which of Willy's plays isn't..?
    I agree with your last line - exactly - which is not psychological and great?

I would have voted for Coriolanus, though .
    You know, I have this desire to read that play - was it really good? I know that Kenneth Branagh played that one onstage in London, so that piqued my interest in it. It looks to be incredible and very dramatic.

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Hi Schokokeks, haven't seen you around lately.
    Hi Janine! Yes, I've been away for some time, but now I'm back again .

Interesting what you say here about the Richard play and there being a part 1; now when you said this "The debate whether Shakespeare wrote that one, too, still isn't settled" - do you mean just the first part of all of the play - Richard II included?
    I meant that - while it is certain that Shakespeare wrote the whole of Richard II - it is still not clear whether he might not also be the author of another play called The First Part of Richard II, which according to wikipedia exists only as one manuscript and is anonymous.
    I hope I'm making sense .

You know, I have this desire to read [Coriolanus] - was it really good?
    I haven't read it yet, but, being a happy student of Classics , I'm immensly interested in Shakespeare's ancient Rome as part of the reception of antiquity in the Renaissance. I absolutely loved both Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra, but so far never got around to reading or watching Coriolanus.

I know that Kenneth Branagh played that one onstage in London, so that piqued my interest in it.
    Yes, Kenneth Branagh is such a genius! In fact, two of my favourite actors, Toby Stephens and Ralph Fiennes, also played Coriolanus.. There's got to be something about that play!
    Last edited by Schokokeks; 12-13-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

I started reading Richard II last night. I'm very much enjoying it, i haven't read much Shakespeare since i left school and this play doesn't find me reaching for my dictionary as much as Hamlet. I don't know why i had never thought of reading one of his history's before, being a history student and all.

Also, i believe this was the tv show Jozanny was refering to:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060039/
    god bless imdb.
    Last edited by Tallon; 12-13-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Okay i finished slightly early i loved it though. Will have to re-read parts when we start discussing it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallon View Post
    Okay i finished slightly early i loved it though. Will have to re-read parts when we start discussing it.
    Tallon If you really loved it, you should read all the history plays - they keep getting better and better; and as I said, they are all part of the story - like sequels. I surprised myself, a few years back, reading them all...only one I didn't read was Henry VIII. There is some question as to whether Shakespeare actually wrote that one; besides I pretty much knew the story but I do plan to read it eventually. I finished with Richard III. I love all the Henry plays emensely. It was a worthwhile pursuit, believe me.

Definitely, when the discussion officially starts, we will review all the text, so we can all re-read it as we go along.

I will certainly go on and read more of his histories. Although i want to get them in book form (rather than the online copy i just read).

Whenever i read Shakespeare and then immediately read something else i always end up trying to read it in a Shakespearian rhythm, as if there are rhymes. It hurts my brain.

Whenever i read Shakespeare and then immediately read something else i always end up trying to read it in a Shakespearian rhythm, as if there are rhymes. It hurts my brain.
    Haha, I'm worse. Whenever I read Shakespeare I have a tendency to actually start thinking in Shakespearean language. I also have to hold back saying "thou" and "hast" in normal speech. Somewhat annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Richard II is not a lesser known play. It's a great play. If it's truly lesser known, it's incredibly under rated.
    I agree somewhat.

I was just surprised that the last three plays (MWOW, Winter's Tale, and now Richard II) beat out the "bigs"--you know, Lear, Hamlet, Richard III, etc.

I will certainly go on and read more of his histories. Although i want to get them in book form (rather than the online copy i just read).
    You're reading these online? Ouch, it's hard enough muddling through the crabbed, over-punctuated, weirdly constructed language when it's clearly written on a page. I can't imagine doing this online. I suppose you have the advantage of easy quoting, though. You can just copy, instead of having to print all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mayneverhave View Post
    Haha, I'm worse. Whenever I read Shakespeare I have a tendency to actually start thinking in Shakespearean language. I also have to hold back saying "thou" and "hast" in normal speech. Somewhat annoying.
    I'm already annoyed. Not really, but control the Elizabethanism, if possible.

Hey, Quark, I like the alteration to your avatar - perfect 'Quark' for the season. That really make me laugh, first time I realised those were fir branches around the edge....haha....very clever indeed! Leave it to you!
    Yeah, it's my small attempt at festivity. I'm glad that you got it, though. I thought people might mistake the branches for green algae. They didn't show up too well when I shrunk them to fit.

Still, I think you beat me as far as festivity goes. You changed your whole setup. Very well done. I like the backgrounds and everything on your user page, particularly.
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

Blog Entries
    I was just surprised that the last three plays (MWOW, Winter's Tale, and now Richard II) beat out the "bigs"--you know, Lear, Hamlet, Richard III, etc.
    Haha - those never get picked, Quark, and I am dying to talk about any of the three...those are the ones I know so well by now....but I guess it is not detined to be, right?

You're reading these online? Ouch, it's hard enough muddling through the crabbed, over-punctuated, weirdly constructed language when it's clearly written on a page. I can't imagine doing this online. I suppose you have the advantage of easy quoting, though. You can just copy, instead of having to print all of it.
    Quark,I know this is directed at someone else, but I actually did this on MWOW because my own Shakespeare book is sort of heavy with teeny weeny type and my eyes are bothering me presently from some medications I have to take. Now what I did find is it is easy if one takes it slowly and what I did was copy to my document program and then proceed to underline the words or phrases I needed assistence on or to look up. It as a lot easier to sort things out and then to actually quote passages from the text. Of course I did not get too far with this process, but it seemed like a good idea at first.

I'm already annoyed. Not really, but control the Elizabethanism, if possible.
    Oh you are such a joke! haha

Whoever said they do this; I do the same thing, if I read or listen to a lot of Shakespeare - I also wake up reciting the lines; not that they are at all accurate; but I wake up from dreaming saying things in Shakespearean language - it is truly strange sometimes....

Yeah, it's my small attempt at festivity. I'm glad that you got it, though. I thought people might mistake the branches for green algae. They didn't show up too well when I shrunk them to fit.
    I thought it worked. I don't think it looks like algae at all. I knew what it was right away and it make me chuckle....very clever!

Still, I think you beat me as far as festivity goes. You changed your whole setup. Very well done. I like the backgrounds and everything on your user page, particularly.
    Oh, thank you so much, Quark! 'The Nutcracker' Drawing is my own, but since I used it last year as a signature photo, I was going to change it before Christmas. The night I changed the page it was just handy and fit the color scheme. I may change it nearer Christmas day. Thanks again - that was a nice compliment.

Haha - those never get picked, Quark, and I am dying to talk about any of the three...those are the ones I know so well by now....but I guess it is not detined to be, right?
    You need to call on your friends to help you out during the poll. Which one did you vote on this time around?

'The Nutcracker' Drawing is my own, but since I used it last year as a signature photo, I was going to change it before Christmas.
    I didn't know you drew your avatar. When did you do that? It looks great.
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

Whoever said they do this; I do the same thing, if I read or listen to a lot of Shakespeare - I also wake up reciting the lines; not that they are at all accurate; but I wake up from dreaming saying things in Shakespearean language - it is truly strange sometimes....
    Hah, I said it. The worst, however, was when I read a lot of Hemingway and started eliminating adverbs from my speech.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mayneverhave View Post
    Hah, I said it. The worst, however, was when I read a lot of Hemingway and started eliminating adverbs from my speech.
    mayneverhave, yeah funny how it invades you pysche....... I fully expect to be reciting Shakespeare soon enough in my sleep....now I don't know about eliminating adverbs...that one is funny, too...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456