View Poll Results: Please vote by December 1st.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Taming of the Shrew

0 0%
  • Comedy of Errors

0 0%
  • Love's Labour's Lost

0 0%
  • Two Gentlemen of Verona

0 0%
  • Midsummer Night's Dream

0 0%
  • Merchant of Venice

0 0%
  • Much Ado About Nothing

0 0%
  • As You Like It

1 5.88%
  • Twelfth Night

0 0%
  • All's Well That Ends Well

1 5.88%
  • Measure for Measure

1 5.88%
  • Pericles, Prince of Tyre

0 0%
  • Tempest

0 0%
  • Titus Andronicus

0 0%
  • Romeo and Juliet

0 0%
  • Hamlet

0 0%
  • Julius Caesar

1 5.88%
  • Troilus and Cressida

1 5.88%
  • Othello

1 5.88%
  • King Lear

0 0%
  • Antony and Cleopatra

3 17.65%
  • Coriolanus

0 0%
  • Timon of Athens

0 0%
  • Cymbeline

0 0%
  • Macbeth

1 5.88%
  • The life and death of King John

0 0%
  • The life and death of King Richard the Second

4 23.53%
  • The First Part of Henry the Fourth

0 0%
  • The Second Part of Henry the Fourth

0 0%
  • The Life of Henry the Fift

0 0%
  • The first Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The second Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The third Part of Henry the Sixt

0 0%
  • The Tragedie of Richard the Third

3 17.65%
  • The Famous History of the Life of King Henry the Eight

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shakespearean Winter '09

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Shakespearean Winter '09

Please vote for the Shakespeare play in winter of '09.

All plays are available online on our site:

http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/

Please vote for the play you would like to read by November 30th.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

How about Antony and Cleopatra??
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Any thing u want, I will just be glad to try it ..

Blog Entries
    I voted for "Richard III", because it is one of my favorite plays. It is like a good thriller and things are always happening in the intricate plot; it is an exciting play, in my mind, not just a dull history, but one with a lot of twists and turns. It fascinates me as does the character of the sinister, power-hungry, Richard.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Is it that time again? I've just begun reading the first act of Merry Wives. I'll have to think about it for now.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Is it that time again? I've just begun reading the first act of Merry Wives. I'll have to think about it for now.
    Same here

Currently reading:
    The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Richard III is winning...well, so far. I tell you all, that is one wild ride. I love this play so much. It is very exciting and so much like a good thriller. I don't think anyone will fall asleep during this discussion.

Yeah, maybe it is too soon, Virgil and lugdunum, we are still plodding along with MWOW. Maybe Scher could postpone this one a bit. When is the winter discussion due to begin?
    Last edited by Janine; 11-21-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    I voted for Richard the second. In my opinion a finer play than Richard III.

Yes I still need to read MWOW. If Richard II doesn't win I will finish MWOW. I've just been way too busy.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

I voted for the second - the second doesn't seem to get enough discussion time, whereas it is almost, if not as good as the third.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    I voted for the second - the second doesn't seem to get enough discussion time, whereas it is almost, if not as good as the third.
    Yay!!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Oh hell, I should have kept my big mouth shut!

oh no!!! a tie.... makes it even more difficult to decide....

Currently reading:
    The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky

Blog Entries
    Can I sway you lugdunum? hahaaha....did you vote yet?....I am pinning my hopes on Richard III.

Here are my three personal reasons: I have read it several times and therefore, I might actually be up to date with the discussion on this one. Also, I have heard the video recording of the play several times and it gets better everytime. Third, I studied it on another video; very informative. It is a play that continues to fascinate me.

But more importantly and to my defense of the play, I have read both plays and they both are very good, but I think that Richard III will keep the interest of the forum members longer; I can't help, but think back to our last discussion of MWOW; 7 people voted for it and about 3 or 4 stuck around, if that many; I know I too have been at fault; I really found the play difficult to understand and someone else (I know this unnamed person is capable of reading deep literature/very intelligent) wrote a post, saying they felt confused by MWOW, first act; later I noticed they dropped out. So many on this forum seem to get discouraged the first act of the play if it does not grab your attention right off. Many of the forum members seem to prefer pyscholgical thrillers, over history and in my opinion Richard III is both, a good history and a great thriller, and it is not a difficult play to understand, starting with the first line. A play that starts with these lines has to draw someone right in:

Now is the winter of our discontent.
    Made glorious summer by this sun of York...

This line can be easily explained, and sets the whole tone of the play, taken from Richard's disgruntled point of view.

I voted for Richard the second. In my opinion a finer play than Richard III.
    Ok, Virgil,...we are at odds again...what else is new lately..... this may be true, as far as being 'finer', but I think the majority here would prefer Richard III more so because, for some reason I have noticed that many members perfer twisted characters and the unusual to the normal. Richard II is the nobler play perhaps, but Richard III is the more psychological one in my opinion; perhaps why it is so often discussed. I read the the histories back a few years ago, this being my goal, and I understand where you are coming from on this one; but if you recall, when we tried to discuss King John, which starts them off (if I am correct) no one showed up much for the discussion. In my opinion the play King John is the dullest of the histories.

Anyway, to me, Richard III is the most dramatic and dynamic of the the histories, besides Henry V, which will remain my all-time favorite of the histories.

Luckily, I have been getting some good help on text for TMWOW from lugdunum. Had to add this because I wanted to thank you again. I am still muddling through that one and will not give up on it, even though I am way far behind...
    Last edited by Janine; 11-22-2008 at 02:12 PM.

I'm sorry to say I haven't had time to read The Merry Wives of Windsor, but I think if you go for either Richards, you're onto a winner. I love R111, it's one of my all-time favourites, it's brilliant. But I love R11 too, and studied it for my degree, whereas R111 is just one I loved off my own bat, so to speak. They're both excellent, and I would love to read along with either. Which to choose?

I love HV too Janine, I've just watched the Branagh version on tv today, it's sooooo good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    I'm sorry to say I haven't had time to read The Merry Wives of Windsor, but I think if you go for either Richards, you're onto a winner. I love R111, it's one of my all-time favourites, it's brilliant. But I love R11 too, and studied it for my degree, whereas R111 is just one I loved off my own bat, so to speak. They're both excellent, and I would love to read along with either. Which to choose?

I love HV too Janine, I've just watched the Branagh version on tv today, it's sooooo good.
    Hi Wessexgirl, It is true that both plays are good ones. I like them both. I just thought that - bottomline - more people would stay with Richard III because it is suspenseful. I will discuss either one, although I only read Richard II once and will have to review the actual text.

Branagh's best film ever is Henry V - to me, it is a perfect film. He excelled in his first production, in my opinion; it is brilliant. I have seen it so many times now and never tire of that film. I liked the way he tied in Henry's early role in Richard II by flashback, in this way giving us some insight into the background of King Hal as a young man. Also, the way he showed us Falstaff is just great, another flashback device that works so well. I still feel like crying when Hal has to give the order to have Bartoff hung. To me that is a pivatol moment in the play. I own the film and I love it! There are some stunning scenes in the film, ones that just take my breath away - the moment the tear roles down Henry's cheek, and he lowers his head, after his lone silouquey in the nightcamp and following his prayer about building the chantry to Richard's memory; another is when Henry enters the chamber with the torches lighted on each side of him, he being in silouette and flowing robe, the way the doorway is awash with light....a thrilling moment. The soundtrack also is just perfect. I think it was Patrick Doyle's very first - amazing? Doyle appears in all of Branagh's films, did you know that. He plays bit parts mostly and sometimes sings or plays an instrument.
    Last edited by Janine; 11-22-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast