Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hook, between the lines

very true
    "It's all the work of the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us..."

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    He is Wendy's father. The story is really about Peter's feud with Wendy's father, he being one of those "boyfriends you father is sure to hate" and she being one of those people who likes him especially for it, until she can come to terms with her femininity and age, and break away from him.
    This is a common theory, but actually Hook was supposed to be played by MRS. DARLING, until a last minute change rested the weight on Mr. Gerald du Maurier, Sylvia Llywelyn Davies' brother. Considering this, the parallel between one character and the other could hardly have the thought behind the characters, tho it may have been a deciding factor in the change in casting.

Quote Originally Posted by kasie View Post
    The school referred to sounds like Eton (an English Public School, reknowned for turning out Men of Destiny, for the information of non-UK Forumites) and the description of the man could refer to a well known public figure of the time, maybe a politician, but I'm afraid the allusion escapes me.
    Sorry, had to add one more thing, Eton is the school referred to, Hooks last words in the play were originally, "Floreat Etona", the motto for Eton. The theory of Eton was later confirmed in a speech by Barrie.

What about Peter Pan, James Hook and Mr Darling representing the paradox (or will be call it a tripadox?) in J.M. Barrie? The author probably wasn't a very "regular" guy for his time and for his community. His mum would love him to be a Mr Darling, but wasn't there a trace of Captain Cook in him? Would it be wrong to say all men are Peter Pans to different degrees? Those Peter Pans are required to grow up. The choices they make as they grow up brings them closer to turning into either a Mr Darling, or a Captain Cook. Wendies need to grow up, too. For this to happen, they need to encounter Captain Hooks. Only then they can mature to make judgements about what is good, what is better) J.M. Barrie's Wendy chooses to go back to dad's home representing "Order" and "Conservatism". If she had chosen Captain Hook, the book would have been a scandal in its time! Yet, do we not sense J.M. Barrie is pointing to the fact that Wendy will always remember her adventure in Never Never land as the most exciting part of her life?

Quote Originally Posted by BalletBrien View Post
    The author probably wasn't a very "regular" guy for his time and for his community. His mum would love him to be a Mr Darling, but wasn't there a trace of Captain Cook in him? Would it be wrong to say all men are Peter Pans to different degrees? Those Peter Pans are required to grow up. The choices they make as they grow up brings them closer to turning into either a Mr Darling, or a Captain Cook. Wendies need to grow up, too. For this to happen, they need to encounter Captain Hooks. Only then they can mature to make judgements about what is good, what is better)
    This is a very valid point and I am so glad you mentioned this. This is life and we are all the same when growing up. We just change when we make certain choices and discover new things.
    "It's all the work of the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shurtugal View Post
    JBI, But how is it so when Mr. Darling is still on the main land while Hook is in neverland? I mean I know that a lot of Peter PAn is alegoric, but all the Characters in the book where there own character, never (at least to me) playing another role. I like the theory though. Maybe, infact, Hook is a representation of all fathers. It's about Peter's fued with fathers. Because they are responsible enough to take the role as one. That also corrisponds to when Peter finally asked Wendy if he being a father was all make believe because that would make him feel so terrible old. Peter there is showing not only is he not responsible enough to take that role, he doesn't what to take it.
    Ok so what I got from the whole hook being her father this is this: When they all first are talking about Neverland you know how they each have a different version of it? Well this could just be peters version with the part of him hating her father. Because Neerland is really a dreamland that they can actually go to. If that makes since. So in peters "dream" version hook is her father while he is also really on the mainland

as far as im aware Hook in Peter Pan is Long John Silver from R L Stevensons treasure island

I'm pretty sure that at least on one level it's supposed to be an allegory. Hook represents Wendy's father and his hatred of Peter Pan is a dislike/distrust of a potential boyfriend who's a bit of a waster (maybe even first boyfriend). Wendy is still a child, hence the childlike representations of the situation, but she is also on the cusp of adulthood, hence her testing and roleplaying the role of mother. Peter is immature and unable to grow up and when Wendy is older, the right age, she marries sensibly.

Mr Darling and Captain Hook are pretty much always doubled in stage and film versions- I'm not sure if it's the same in the book but in a recent musical production, Hook has the same reaction to taking the medicine as Mr Darling does.

Doubling Hook with Mrs Darling seems like a clumsier version of the same allegory, which makes much more sense when Mr Darling doubles up as Hook.
    Last edited by kelby_lake; 07-28-2010 at 08:01 AM.

This question has been bugging me for a while too.

Capt. Hook did go to Eton. J.M. Barrie added more to the character in his speech at Eton "Captain Hook at Eton". This can be found in the book "M'Connachie and J.M.B.: Speeches".

What if he's the personification of adults? Hook's question to Peter in the final battle is; "Pan, who and what art thou?", Peter replies, "I'm youth, I'm joy. I'm a little bird that has broken out of the egg." If Peter Pan represents youth and joy, then Hook could be his opposite, representing adulthood and work (or something like this). Of course, right after that, the narrator says, "This, of course, was nonsense,". (All quotes in chapter 16).

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Other fictional Old Etonians (listed on their website) include James Bond, Bertie Wooster and Tarzan.

http://www.etoncollege.com/FictionalOEs.aspx
    Last edited by Jackson Richardson; 07-30-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add website
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12