Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook, between the lines

Blog Entries

Hook, between the lines

the other day when i was reading Peter Pan, (for the forth time ) i once again came across the paragraph that always stumped me with curiosity.

Hook was not his ture name. To reveal who he really was would even at this date set the country in a blaze;But as those who read between the lives must already have guessed, he head been at a famous public school; and its traditions still clung to him like garments, with which indeed they are largely concerned. Thus it was offensive to him even now to a board a ship in the same dress in which he grappled her; and he still adhered in his walk to the school's distinguished slouch. But above all he retained the passon for good form.

Who is he then? i have never been able to guess, i've reread some parts trying to read "between the lines" but have never succeded in guessing who he is. do you guys have a clue suggestions.

Who is James Hook!?
    Pitiful creatur of darkness,
    What kind of world have you known?
    God give me courage to guide me,
    You are not alone.

He is Wendy's father. The story is really about Peter's feud with Wendy's father, he being one of those "boyfriends you father is sure to hate" and she being one of those people who likes him especially for it, until she can come to terms with her femininity and age, and break away from him. He, not growing up, is a display of the fact that he is the immature one, and the "evil Hook" was right about him, and wins in the end, with Wendy's return home, her growing up, and her respectable marriage later on in life.

Peter Pan in a sense is a forerunner for the Greaser motif, a runaway boy who vows never to grow up, never to accept responsibility, and comes along almost dragging Wendy down with him. Hook is his contrast - authority, someone who has grown up, and accepted responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    He is Wendy's father. ....
    I believe Peter Pan was originally written as a play. The parts of Mr Darling and Captain Hook were played by the same actor, as they have been in all subsequent productions, underlining the interpretation given by JBI.

The school referred to sounds like Eton (an English Public School, reknowned for turning out Men of Destiny, for the information of non-UK Forumites) and the description of the man could refer to a well known public figure of the time, maybe a politician, but I'm afraid the allusion escapes me.
    Last edited by kasie; 09-03-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    JBI, But how is it so when Mr. Darling is still on the main land while Hook is in neverland? I mean I know that a lot of Peter PAn is alegoric, but all the Characters in the book where there own character, never (at least to me) playing another role. I like the theory though. Maybe, infact, Hook is a representation of all fathers. It's about Peter's fued with fathers. Because they are responsible enough to take the role as one. That also corrisponds to when Peter finally asked Wendy if he being a father was all make believe because that would make him feel so terrible old. Peter there is showing not only is he not responsible enough to take that role, he doesn't what to take it.
    You are not alone.

There have been some pirates known as gentleman pirates-- ones with good family and educational backgrounds as well. However, I think that rather than worry over any specific identity, Hook is more of a general idea.

I think that Good form is something to give attention to.
    In other parts of the novel, Hook also dwells on good form. If I recall correctly, Hook worries about it excessively and believes that accidental good form is the best form of all-- and the just sort of good form that he dreads the most to see in his enemey.

I read Peter Pan as a book very much concerned about identity-- and the choices one makes in forming identity. Growing up as a member of a good family of a certain social class (middle class) in London during that time, a boy and a girl only had so many choices as to what he or she could become. Sometimes the best choice at least seemed like the choice to do none of the above-- if there is a choice between stock broker and laywer and either fills one with dread (after all pirate is not really a legitimate choice), then perhaps the best choice is to choose to avoid that choice by not growing up.

If you think about it, James Hook is a resemblance of many identities as gingerbooklady pointed out. Meaning that James Hook was a resemblance of Mr. Darling in J.M. Barrie's imagination. James Hook is also the resemblance of J.M. Barrie himself. Remember that J.M. Barrie lost his brother. His mother didn't even acknowledge him once his brother died and one day he dressed up as his brother and his mother actually looked at him. According to a bio I read about him, that was the last day that J.M. Barrie was a boy. After that moment he was a man and grew up. Facing the harshness of reality and sadness that comes with it. James Hook...James M. Barrie. Coincidences..I don't believe in but its all just a theory. I hope that helps!
    "It's all the work of the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us..."

Blog Entries
    hmmm...Lilypan, i'm not sure what you mean.
    You are not alone.

well what are you confused about? it really is hard to explain but if you let me know what you dont understand then maybe i can try and break it down.
    "It's all the work of the ticking crocodile, isn't it? Time is chasing after all of us..."

Blog Entries
    oh, i get it now... i think.. my mind is kind of wondering about aimlessly.
    You are not alone.

are you sure? because i can try and explain it again.

Blog Entries
    if you want, maybe it'll salitify it better!
    You are not alone.

hmm I'll try. basically i was saying that J.M. Barrie made captain hook to be the imaginations "father" the person who believes in reality, like mr. darling. he can also be portrayed as James Barrie himself. JAMES hook...JAMES barrie...after J.M. Barrie's brother died the child within him went away to neverland and he became the adult J.M. Barrie. So Capt. Hook could be the one person the author did not want to be...

i hope that makes more sense.

Blog Entries
    OH!!!!!!! i get it. i see what you mean. yes, that would make sense.
    You are not alone.

well im glad it makes sense now lol and im not of course positive if that's who Hook is but it's a theory.

Blog Entries
    which is better then nothing.
    You are not alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast