View Poll Results: The Idiot: The final verdict

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

1 6.25%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

1 6.25%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

4 25.00%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

10 62.50%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: September / Russia Reading: The Idiot by Dostoevsky

Thanks.. I never thought about Rogozhin's reaction to the Holbein picture as taking offense at the suffering of Christ. I think because I personally look on such suffering as noble, I was always seeing it that way even through other character's eyes. I saw Rogozhin's attraction to the picture even while it was making him lose his faith, as the obsession with one's doubt over their faith. (Probably another personal interpretation.)

When Myshkin said, "You want to exchange crosses? Certainly, Parfyon, I am delighted. We will be brothers!", I took this as an innocent invitation of friendship on his part. As Rogozhin's response was, "the same mistrustfulness, the same bitter, almost ironical smile" I thought that Rogozhin was merely playing along with Myshkin mockingly, all along treating Myshkin's invitation as a childlike naivete.

I wasn't sure how to tag quotes and insert them into my reply, do you just copy and paste? Of course I tried just clicking on "quote" but I still wasn't able to highlight anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Natchat View Post
    Thanks.. I never thought about Rogozhin's reaction to the Holbein picture as taking offense at the suffering of Christ. I think because I personally look on such suffering as noble...
    While Christ's suffering may seem noble from a safe distance (in time and space), the Holbein picture transports Rogozhin (like the denying Peter) to the foot of that terrible cross with its siren call, 'follow me'. A hard saying is Luke 7:23, 'And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me'.

When Myshkin said, "You want to exchange crosses? ... ... I thought that Rogozhin was merely playing along with Myshkin mockingly, all along treating Myshkin's invitation as a childlike naivete.
    The vulnerable and desperate pair, Natasya Filippovna and Rogozhin, see more in the prince than naivete. The prince would save the needy and the lost.

I wasn't sure how to tag quotes
    Click on 'Quote', delete unwanted text in the resultant screen, and click on 'Preview Post'.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    I can't believe I missed this!

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAdams View Post
    I can't believe I missed this!
    Nick, sorry you missed it too; back in Sept and October, it was such a great discussion. I had to miss out on some of it, but I was able to get in a few comments and discussions with others. This is the first D book have read, and I was quite impressed by it. I have many of the others to read...well, eventually...
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011