Thread: Anyone want to discuss this book?

Blog Entries

Anyone want to discuss this book?

I have recently started reading this book, and though I do enjoy the writing of James, I find it can be a bit difficult at times. I think that discussing this book might help greater understanding, and allow one to pull more meaning from it.

Would anyone be interested in discussing this book?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Dark Muse, what book? What is the title?
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    The Ambassadors

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I have recently started reading this book, and though I do enjoy the writing of James, I find it can be a bit difficult at times. I think that discussing this book might help greater understanding, and allow one to pull more meaning from it.

Would anyone be interested in discussing this book?
    Dark, if there is any 19th century author on whom I am nearly a scholar, it has to be Henry James, but if you want to do The Ambassadors, I am hampered because it is his one major work I don't own. I read my library edition of it once post-university, and I have the Henry James online scholars web site text downloaded, but right now I am in the opening reread of The Golden Bowl. Perhaps in a few weeks I can take the time to join in a discussion through the e-text--though I should rectify my omission and buy my own copy.

Some critics think this is his best novel, but I give that honor to GB.

Blog Entries
    Well if you are able to join in, I am sure I would find it very helpful to my understanding of his work. I do not know what much about him. I have read some of his short stories and enjoyed. This is my first novel of his.

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    Well if you are able to join in, I am sure I would find it very helpful to my understanding of his work. I do not know what much about him. I have read some of his short stories and enjoyed. This is my first novel of his.
    It is not an easy novel to grasp. I will try to join in. Not easy for me either, I should add. James last major works have engendered an enormous body of criticism, and trust me when I say that professors make a career out of lectures on Strether, or Millie's illness in Wings, and so on.
    Last edited by Jozanny; 08-21-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Reading "The Ambassadors"

Quote Originally Posted by Jozanny View Post
    It is not an easy novel to grasp.
    A hundred pages in, I'm finding reading almost impossible, both cryptic and tedious, but I will persevere. Self absorbed Strether from Woollet USA and ice-cold Wakefield doing next to nothing while meditating on Chad, someone's son - probably Mrs Newsome's.

I remember the first half of Washington Square being equally tedious, though now, looking back, I can see clearly the fine tapestry of interplay within Catherine's family - father and aunts - that I had overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozanny View Post
    Some critics think this is his best novel, but I give that honor to GB.
    The Golden Bowl is magnificent, with The Wings of the Dove not far behind.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

hello ı would be happy to discuss the ambassadors with you

what do you think about the mental drama of strether in relation his relation with other characters in the book?

Quote Originally Posted by the_pln View Post
    what do you think about the mental drama of strether in relation his relation with other characters in the book?
    I'm three-quarter way through and, compared to The Golden Bowl and The Wings of the Dove, it ain't easy reading!

Unlike these two novels, all the characters here seem to work for the best, including Strether. But, then again, I've a way to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pln View Post
    Lambert Strether stands by Chad and Madame de Vionnet before learning that Sarah and Mrs Newsome's concerns are, in part, justified. Moreover, Chad now threatens to desert his magnificent lover.

Strether has all along acted from honourable motives, but isn't life complicated! What has he ultimately done for Maria Gostrey, for Countess Marie de Vionnet, or for Chad Newsome? Losing Miss Gostrey he has little to show for his integrity but good intentions:

So then she had to take it, though still with her defeated protest. "It isn't so much your BEING 'right'--it's your horrible sharp eye for what makes you so."