Page 26 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930313676126 ... LastLast

Thread: D.H. Lawrence's Short Stories Thread

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Hi Grace, no problem at all. Wow, moving, to your college I would imagine. In fact, Downing and I were discussing this just today - maybe we should take a break next month from the short story thread, what do you think? Then we can start up again in Sept. I told her - "you girls are wearing me out!"
    That would be a good idea. Don Quixote, Harry Potter and White Stocking have kind of been sitting around on my dresser. Yes...moving to my apartment next weekend, so I have tons to do now...haven't done much boxing up.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    That would be a good idea. Don Quixote, Harry Potter and White Stocking have kind of been sitting around on my dresser. Yes...moving to my apartment next weekend, so I have tons to do now...haven't done much boxing up.
    Grace, glad you agree. I know you are probably so busy starting university this fall; moving is a big job and then getting settled in more work. Whenever you can resume short stories will be fine. If you still have any bit of time leftover and want to comment on this story, feel free to jump in at anytime, but if you don't we certainly all understand why.

Not sure this is clear to everyone though. We will still be doing "The White Stocking" for now, till the end of the story; hopefully that will be the end of the month. Then - next month - we will take a break and pick a new story, sometime in September. What do you think of this idea?
    Last edited by Janine; 07-25-2007 at 05:16 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    I agree with Janine. It would be fine to take a break from DHL short stories thread, but more for Janine's sake, who needs one. I would have liked to stay in august in the thread, but if the Leader goes, there will hardly be anyone else here. What I am afraid of is the fact that in September I will start school and I hope that schoolwork won't be an obstacle for me to continue writing in this thread. Anyway, till we take a break, let me comment this part of the story, which Janine selected.

Over the breakfast she grew serious. He did not notice. She became portentous in her gravity. Almost it penetrated through his steady good-humour to irritate him.
    Here we can notice that the atmosphere becomes strained, mostly because of Elsie, but Whisto perceives it, too; he is ''irritated'' by him because it ''penetrates'' his good-humour. Nice depiction of atmosphere.

"Teddy!" she said at last.

"What?" he asked.

"I told you a lie," she said, humbly tragic.

His soul stirred uneasily.
    "Oh aye?" he said casually.

She was not satisfied. He ought to be more moved.
    "Yes," she said.

He cut a piece of bread.
    "Was it a good one?" he asked.

She was piqued. Then she considered--was it a good one? Then she laughed.
    "No," she said, "it wasn't up to much."

"Ah!" he said easily, but with a steady strength of fondness for her in his tone. "Get it out then."

It became a little more difficult.
    "You know that white stocking," she said earnestly. "I told you a lie. It wasn't a sample. It was a valentine."

A little frown came on his brow.
    "Then what did you invent it as a sample for?" he said. But he knew this weakness of hers. The touch of anger in his voice frightened her.

"I was afraid you'd be cross," she said pathetically.

"I'll bet you were vastly afraid," he said.

"I was, Teddy."

There was a pause. He was resolving one or two things in his mind.
    "And who sent it?" he asked.

"I can guess," she said, "though there wasn't a word with it-- except--"
    She ran to the sitting-room and returned with a slip of paper.
    "Pearls may be fair, but thou art fairer. Wear these for me, and I'll love the wearer."

He read it twice, then a dull red flush came on his face.
    "And who do you guess it is?" he asked, with a ringing of anger in his voice.

"I suspect it's Sam Adams," she said, with a little virtuous indignation.
    Whiston was silent for a moment.

"Fool!" he said. "An' what's it got to do with pearls?--and how can he say 'wear these for me' when there's only one? He hasn't got the brain to invent a proper verse."
    He screwed the sup of paper into a ball and flung it into the fire.

"I suppose he thinks it'll make a pair with the one last year," she said.

"Why, did he send one then?"

"Yes. I thought you'd be wild if you knew."

I underlined the statements which suggest the character's mood. We see that Whiston passes through a series of moods: he is in a good humour, then he is ''stirred'' and then he becomes angry:''a dull red flush came on his face'', ''the touch of anger in his voice''.
    At first, Elsie's wish to confide lookes Christian to me and I began to pity her and consider her a poor playful thing, so I started to like her a bit. But when I saw that she didn't tell anything about the ear-rings, but invented a new lie, I got really mad; she is a person who lies, than confides and, while she says which the lie was, she tells a new one. What do you think of this behaviour? I think it is grotesque.

She was not satisfied. He ought to be more moved.
    This shows that she likes to ''stirr'' her husband. She probably likes to see his jelousy, knowing that jelousy is a proof of love.

I suspect it's Sam Adams," she said, with a little virtuous indignation.
    Whiston was silent for a moment.
    The underlined statement makes me laugh but they make me admire Lawrence. What a great way of describing a ''flying woman'' . I am sure she didn't feel any indignation and certainly, not a virtuous one.

Presently he rose, and went to wash himself, rolling back his sleeves and pulling open his shirt at the breast. It was as if his fine, clear-cut temples and steady eyes were degraded by the lower, rather brutal part of his face. But she loved it. As she whisked about, clearing the table, she loved the way in which he stood washing himself. He was such a man. She liked to see his neck glistening with water as he swilled it. It amused her and pleased her and thrilled her. He was so sure, so permanent, he had her so utterly in his power. It gave her a delightful, mischievous sense of liberty. Within his grasp, she could dart about excitingly.
    This passage reminds me of Rhett Butler and Scarlett's feeling of security in his arms.

He turned round to her, his face red from the cold water, his eyes fresh and very blue.
    "You haven't been seeing anything of him, have you?" he asked roughly.

"Yes," she answered, after a moment, as if caught guilty. "He got into the tram with me, and he asked me to drink a coffee and a Benedictine in the Royal."

"You've got it off fine and glib," he said sullenly. "And did you?"

"Yes," she replied, with the air of a traitor before the rack.

The blood came up into his neck and face, he stood motionless, dangerous.

"It was cold, and it was such fun to go into the Royal," she said.

"You'd go off with a nigger for a packet of chocolate," he said, in anger and contempt, and some bitterness. Queer how he drew away from her, cut her off from him.
    "Ted--how beastly!" she cried. "You know quite well--" She caught her lip, flushed, and the tears came to her eyes.

He turned away, to put on his necktie. She went about her work, making a queer pathetic little mouth, down which occasionally dripped a tear.
    He was ready to go. With his hat jammed down on his head, and his overcoat buttoned up to his chin, he came to kiss her. He would be miserable all the day if he went without. She allowed herself to be kissed. Her cheek was wet under his lips, and his heart burned. She hurt him so deeply. And she felt aggrieved, and did not quite forgive him.
    Queer how he drew away from her, cut her off from him.
    I see Lawrence describes sometimes the situation from Elsie's point of view. Margaret Mitchell has got the same way, sometimes, of describing in GWTW-from Scarlett's point of view.
    We see that Whiston loves her, in spite of her ''infidelity'': ''he came to kiss her. He would be miserable all the day if he went without.''

I am not sure what
    You've got it off fine and glib
    means over here. Could you please help?

In a moment she went upstairs to her ear-rings. Sweet they looked nestling in the little drawer--sweet! She examined them with voluptuous pleasure, she threaded them in her ears, she looked at herself, she posed and postured and smiled, and looked sad and tragic and winning and appealing, all in turn before the mirror. And she was happy, and very pretty.

She wore her ear-rings all morning, in the house. She was self-conscious, and quite brilliantly winsome, when the baker came, wondering if he would notice. All the tradesmen left her door with a glow in them, feeling elated, and unconsciously favouring the delightful little creature, though there had been nothing to notice in her behaviour.

She was stimulated all the day. She did not think about her husband. He was the permanent basis from which she took these giddy little flights into nowhere. At night, like chickens and curses, she would come home to him, to roost.
    Meanwhile Whiston, a traveller and confidential support of a small firm, hastened about his work, his heart all the while anxious for her, yearning for surety, and kept tense by not getting it.
    The next three passages show that she didn't change at all. I let Janine or someone else to comment the other important things from this part.
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downing View Post
    I agree with Janine. It would be fine to take a break from DHL short stories thread, but more for Janine's sake, who needs one. I would have liked to stay in august in the thread, but if the Leader goes, there will hardly be anyone else here. What I am afraid of is the fact that in September I will start school and I hope that schoolwork won't be an obstacle for me to continue writing in this thread. Anyway, till we take a break, let me comment this part of the story, which Janine selected.
    Downing and everyone else, I do need a break, but I was thinking maybe I could choose the next story, which I have in mind and is a short one; also it is not that complex (in my opinion), and then if everyone has any bit of time, they can read it at their leisure. This would make things a little easier for all of us, especially those starting school. It is always hard to read the story and discuss it same month, don't you think? Or we could do this story in August, and break in September instead. Maybe that would be the better solution.

Here we can notice that the atmosphere becomes strained, mostly because of Elsie, but Whisto perceives it, too; he is ''irritated'' by him because it ''penetrates'' his good-humour. Nice depiction of atmosphere.
    See Downing's quotes from the story, above in her post.

Yes, it does become strained and tense and his good humor is being undermined by her silliness and her suspected deception.

I underlined the statements which suggest the character's mood. We see that Whiston passes through a series of moods: he is in a good humour, then he is ''stirred'' and then he becomes angry:''a dull red flush came on his face'', ''the touch of anger in his voice''.
    At first, Elsie's wish to confide lookes Christian to me and I began to pity her and consider her a poor playful thing, so I started to like her a bit. But when I saw that she didn't tell anything about the ear-rings, but invented a new lie, I got really mad; she is a person who lies, than confides and, while she says which the lie was, she tells a new one. What do you think of this behaviour? I think it is grotesque.
    Yes, his mood does fluctuate greatly and she knows this. Again she likes manipulating his mood to suit herself. She is very selfish and does not think of hurting her husband; she gets away with much and she knows it. At least her wish to confide to Teddy her wrong-doings may be an attempt to be 'moralistic', but I don't think she is truly sincere about it, nor do I think it her ulimate goal. She, more or less, wants to tell him, in order to get some reaction, even if it is a negative one; actually she is hoping to rile him up and get any reaction from him....jealousy will only make her feel more satisfied and feed her ego. She craves attention, even when the various men come to her door to deliver things throughout the day, she is trying all the time for their attention. She may act like she is unaware or carefree, but always she is very aware of their eyes on her. No doubt at the dance, she also is aware of being observed by everyone at the dance, not just Sam Adams. She is all for the 'affect' she has on others.

This shows that she likes to ''stirr'' her husband. She probably likes to see his jelousy, knowing that jelousy is a proof of love.
    Definitely she does like to see it and feel elated by it. She loves to feel she has this much control over his affections and his well-being. This elevates her self, but it is a false elevation, being one of vanity.

The underlined statement makes me laugh but they make me admire Lawrence. What a great way of describing a ''flying woman''. I am sure she didn't feel any indignation and certainly, not a virtuous one.
    Downing, sorry to laugh -- but I think you mean 'flighty' woman, not 'flying' woman. That would be the expression. Yes, Elsie is very 'flighty' indeed.

This passage reminds me of Rhett Butler and Scarlett's feeling of security in his arms.
    Well, didn't Scarlett try to maniuplate men's feelings and actions towards her? However, unlike this story Rhett did not put up with that sort of behavior from the beginning as Teddy does for a time. Rhett saw through Scarlett's antics right away. But you are right, Scarlett did feel the security with Rhett and so does Elsie with Teddy --- good parellel.

I see Lawrence describes sometimes the situation from Elsie's point of view. Margaret Mitchell has got the same way, sometimes, of describing in GWTW-from Scarlett's point of view.
    We see that Whiston loves her, in spite of her ''infidelity'': ''he came to kiss her. He would be miserable all the day if he went without.''
    Downing, Who's point of view do you think that last statement is from about him being miserable - his or hers? or the author observing them? Just curious.

I am not sure what
    means over here. Could you please help?
    Quote:
    "You've got it off fine and glib" -- referring to pulling off or accomplishing the lie and doing it in a sneaky way whereas she is glib, or "spoken smoothly, sometimes too smoothly to be confincing". She seems nonchalant, when she professes these lies and also remorseful but apparently Teddy knows her well and knows she is being quite false.

The next three passages show that she didn't change at all. I let Janine or someone else to comment the other important things from this part.
    I agree, I think.....

In the following passage see how many times she manipulates her husband with her tears and pathos. Elsie really is quite the dramatist and she can get him to do as she wants by withholding her affection - "He would be miseable all the day if he went without." This referring to the kiss from her/her affection. Lawrence was a great observer of women and this portrait of this particular woman is very detailed and accurate. She reminds me greatly of a main character in Lawrence's first novel "The White Peacock" named Lettie, which was after his sister nicknamed the same, her name was Lettuce, after an aunt of Lawrence's. Lettie also is very flighty and dramatic and manipulates the men in her life. She completely breaks one man's heart and he settles for someone else in the end.

He turned away, to put on his necktie. She went about her work, making a queer pathetic little mouth, down which occasionally dripped a tear.
    He was ready to go. With his hat jammed down on his head, and his overcoat buttoned up to his chin, he came to kiss her. He would be miserable all the day if he went without. She allowed herself to be kissed. Her cheek was wet under his lips, and his heart burned. She hurt him so deeply. And she felt aggrieved, and did not quite forgive him.
    There is a real pushing and pulling in this section - giving affection/withholding affection, hurting him/then soothing him, hurting him/not forgiving him. Elsie really knows how to play this immature game of marriage and possession. She uses the tears to really get her own way and for the affect it will have on her husband; they are 'crocodile tears'. This paragraph shows a literal 'tug of war' game between them and their emotions.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-26-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Here comes the flying woman!!!
    Sorry for the mistake...that was fun!
    Janine, I like a lot what you said about this part of the story and it really helped to see your oppinion, because I understood other things, too.
    As about the passage with Whiston is feeling miserable, I guess L describes that from Whiston's point of view.
    Will you post the next part of the story?
    I think it is a great idea to do another story in August and to take a break in September. Tell me what do you think.
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

Blog Entries
    Downing, Yes, hello 'flying woman!' haha! Glad you enjoyed your laugh. I did, too....sorry... at your expense. It is rather funny how American or English sayings can get twisted up in translation. You were close anyway. At first I did not get your idea at all and then it dawned on me and I did have a good laugh.

I agree with the idea of having one last story for August and then breaking in September. Afterall, everyone will be going back to school which is stressful enough. I can handle doing one last story and it will fall into the category of these other early stories about relationship.

I wanted to comment on just this last part of Part II of the story.

She wore her ear-rings all morning, in the house. She was self-conscious, and quite brilliantly winsome, when the baker came, wondering if he would notice. All the tradesmen left her door with a glow in them, feeling elated, and unconsciously favouring the delightful little creature, though there had been nothing to notice in her behaviour.
    As I said before all day long Elsie seemed to have an unconscious effect on the tradesmen such as the baker, as they left her door to go on their way. But in that paragraph I found this part of the statement curious "though there had been nothing to notice in her behaviour." Was this just from her point of view that she had this effect on them or were they really elated after seeing her?

She was stimulated all the day. She did not think about her husband. He was the permanent basis from which she took these giddy little flights into nowhere. At night, like chickens and curses, she would come home to him, to roost.
    Again she is quite self-absorbed, isn't she. She does not think at all about her husband she is so into her own awareness of herself and how she looks in the pearl earrings. But the second and last line indicates something true and significant. He alows her to be this way and he is there for her to return after her "giddy little flights nowhere." Teddy is pretty well aiding her to behave this way in not objecting to her self-centered ways. I like particularly the last line and think it so well put by Lawrence; it makes me laugh, too...."like chickens and curses" - that is great!

Meanwhile Whiston, a traveller and confidential support of a small firm, hastened about his work, his heart all the while anxious for her, yearning for surety, and kept tense by not getting it.
    This let us know what Whiston did for a living. Now he is thinking of her all day long apparently - "his heart all the while anxious for her, yearning for surety, and kept tense by not getting it." She really has gotten him into a difficult state of mind and kept him on a kind of emotional roller coaster ride and he can't seem to do anything about it, but go along with her. He longs for her, but he is also tense all the time. Poor Whiston can't win either way.

I will now post next part of the story:

II

She had been a warehouse girl in Adams's lace factory before she was married. Sam Adams was her employer. He was a bachelor of forty, growing stout, a man well dressed and florid, with a large brown moustache and thin hair. From the rest of his well-groomed, showy appearance, it was evident his baldness was a chagrin to him. He had a good presence, and some Irish blood in his veins.

His fondness for the girls, or the fondness of the girls for him, was notorious. And Elsie, quick, pretty, almost witty little thing--she seemed witty, although, when her sayings were repeated, they were entirely trivial--she had a great attraction for him. He would come into the warehouse dressed in a rather sporting reefer coat, of fawn colour, and trousers of fine black-and-white check, a cap with a big peak and a scarlet carnation in his button-hole, to impress her. She was only half impressed. He was too loud for her good taste. Instinctively perceiving this, he sobered down to navy blue. Then a well-built man, florid, with large brown whiskers, smart navy blue suit, fashionable boots, and manly hat, he was the irreproachable. Elsie was impressed. But meanwhile Whiston was courting her, and she made splendid little gestures, before her bedroom mirror, of the constant-and-true sort.

"True, true till death--"

That was her song. Whiston was made that way, so there was no need to take thought for him.

Every Christmas Sam Adams gave a party at his house, to which he invited his superior work-people--not factory hands and labourers, but those above.

He was a generous man in his way, with a real warm feeling for giving pleasure.

Two years ago Elsie had attended this Christmas-party for the last time. Whiston had accompanied her. At that time he worked for Sam Adams.
    She had been very proud of herself, in her close-fitting, full-skirted dress of blue silk. Whiston called for her. Then she tripped beside him, holding her large cashmere shawl across her breast. He strode with long strides, his trousers handsomely strapped under his boots, and her silk shoes bulging the pockets of his full-skirted overcoat.

They passed through the park gates, and her spirits rose. Above them the Castle Rock looked grandly in the night, the naked trees stood still and dark in the frost, along the boulevard.

They were rather late. Agitated with anticipation, in the cloak-room she gave up her shawl, donned her silk shoes, and looked at herself in the mirror. The loose bunches of curls on either side her face danced prettily, her mouth smiled.

She hung a moment in the door of the brilliantly lighted room. Many people were moving within the blaze of lamps, under the crystal chandeliers, the full skirts of the women balancing and floating, the side-whiskers and white cravats of the men bowing above. Then she entered the light.

In an instant Sam Adams was coming forward, lifting both his arms in boisterous welcome. There was a constant red laugh on his face.

"Come late, would you," he shouted, "like royalty."

He seized her hands and led her forward. He opened his mouth wide when he spoke, and the effect of the warm, dark opening behind the brown whiskers was disturbing. But she was floating into the throng on his arm. He was very gallant.

"Now then," he said, taking her card to write down the dances, "I've got carte blanche, haven't I?"

"Mr Whiston doesn't dance," she said.

"I am a lucky man!" he said, scribbling his initials. "I was born with an amourette in my mouth."

He wrote on, quietly. She blushed and laughed, not knowing what it meant.
    "Why, what is that?" she said.

"It's you, even littler than you are, dressed in little wings," he said.

"I should have to be pretty small to get in your mouth," she said.

"You think you're too big, do you!" he said easily.

He handed her her card, with a bow.
    "Now I'm set up, my darling, for this evening," he said.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-26-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Sam Adams was her employer. He was a bachelor of forty, growing stout, a man well dressed and florid, with a large brown moustache and thin hair. From the rest of his well-groomed, showy appearance, it was evident his baldness was a chagrin to him. He had a good presence, and some Irish blood in his veins.
    I underlined the statement which form Sam Adam's direct characterization. You can observe that this character appears for the first time in the short story, because till now he was just recalled by the other characters in their discussion. I see that L. uses the flashback technique in this chapter; this flashback contains the Christmas party organized by Sam Adams.

His fondness for the girls, or the fondness of the girls for him, was notorious. And Elsie, quick, pretty, almost witty little thing--she seemed witty, although, when her sayings were repeated, they were entirely trivial--she had a great attraction for him. He would come into the warehouse dressed in a rather sporting reefer coat, of fawn colour, and trousers of fine black-and-white check, a cap with a big peak and a scarlet carnation in his button-hole, to impress her. She was only half impressed. He was too loud for her good taste. Instinctively perceiving this, he sobered down to navy blue. Then a well-built man, florid, with large brown whiskers, smart navy blue suit, fashionable boots, and manly hat, he was the irreproachable. Elsie was impressed. But meanwhile Whiston was courting her, and she made splendid little gestures, before her bedroom mirror, of the constant-and-true sort.
    We understand from the first phrase that he was something like a playboy...a notorious one. Elsie is shallow because she becomes more attracted to him and more impressed when he dresses the way she likes best.

Every Christmas Sam Adams gave a party at his house, to which he invited his superior work-people--not factory hands and labourers, but those above.

He was a generous man in his way, with a real warm feeling for giving pleasure.
    Two years ago Elsie had attended this Christmas-party for the last time. Whiston had accompanied her. At that time he worked for Sam Adams.
    She had been very proud of herself, in her close-fitting, full-skirted dress of blue silk. Whiston called for her. Then she tripped beside him, holding her large cashmere shawl across her breast. He strode with long strides, his trousers handsomely strapped under his boots, and her silk shoes bulging the pockets of his full-skirted overcoat.

They passed through the park gates, and her spirits rose. Above them the Castle Rock looked grandly in the night, the naked trees stood still and dark in the frost, along the boulevard.

They were rather late. Agitated with anticipation, in the cloak-room she gave up her shawl, donned her silk shoes, and looked at herself in the mirror. The loose bunches of curls on either side her face danced prettily, her mouth smiled.
    She hung a moment in the door of the brilliantly lighted room. Many people were moving within the blaze of lamps, under the crystal chandeliers, the full skirts of the women balancing and floating, the side-whiskers and white cravats of the men bowing above. Then she entered the light.

In an instant Sam Adams was coming forward, lifting both his arms in boisterous welcome. There was a constant red laugh on his face.

He seized her hands and led her forward. He opened his mouth wide when he spoke, and the effect of the warm, dark opening behind the brown whiskers was disturbing. But she was floating into the throng on his arm. He was very gallant.
    "Now then," he said, taking her card to write down the dances, "I've got carte blanche, haven't I?"

"Mr Whiston doesn't dance," she said.

"I am a lucky man!" he said, scribbling his initials. "I was born with an amourette in my mouth."
    He wrote on, quietly. She blushed and laughed, not knowing what it meant.
    "Why, what is that?" she said.

"It's you, even littler than you are, dressed in little wings," he said.

"I should have to be pretty small to get in your mouth," she said.

"You think you're too big, do you!" he said easily.

He handed her her card, with a bow.
    "Now I'm set up, my darling, for this evening," he said.

The fact that Sam Adams gave parties for the pleasure of others is a good note for him.

"I was born with an amourette in my mouth."
    Is this something like the well known proverb ''to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth''?

From this part of the text we understand that Elsie was very happy because she was in the centre of the attention, by advancing with Sam Adams and having the pleasure to dance with him. The passage where she is looking in the mirror shows her narcisist character and makes me think again of Scarlett O'Hara. I have the impression that she left Whiston alone- she advanced in the crowd with Adams...wasn't that a bit rude? I imagine what poor Whiston thinks.

Janine, I let you comment now. Sincerely, I am also very tired...maybe we'd better take a break in August what do you think? I am also changing but I feel tired out...I imagine how you must feel...

Blog Entries
    Downing, yes, I think it is still quite questionable about August and possible to take a break then. Thing is I split up the story last night, in my offline text, and seems it will take at least 5 days to complete, with just the two of us working on it. I realise now that Virgil has been gone awhile and we really do need him in this thread. That is why we are so exhausted. I know in Tortoise, ktd said she was taking a break, too and even though I did post the next Tortoise poem it waits there for everyone's return. Actually this thread was Virgil's idea and his starting so I am hoping when he gets back he will resume it. Let us just wait and see, ok?

Ok, let me get to the story and what you posted. *See Downing's posts for the quotes.

I underlined the statement which form Sam Adam's direct characterization. You can observe that this character appears for the first time in the short story, because till now he was just recalled by the other characters in their discussion. I see that L. uses the flashback technique in this chapter; this flashback contains the Christmas party organized by Sam Adams.
    You know the first time I read this story, I did not realise that second part was set in the past (flashback). So the story has three parts: present, past, back to present. Lawrence used this same technique in 'The Prussian Officer'. It is an interesting way to present a story, don't you think?
    In this first section that you have quoted, it is also important to note the fact that Sam Adams is 'forty' and a 'bachelor'. That says much about him right there, add the other ingredients (which you underlined) and you have a image of an average aging man (physically) who makes himself look 'flashy' for the ladies and is quite vibrant and lively.

We understand from the first phrase that he was something like a playboy...a notorious one. Elsie is shallow because she becomes more attracted to him and more impressed when he dresses the way she likes best.
    I don't know if he is an actual playboy but he sure does like the ladies. After reading this story I am reminded of a part of Sons and Lovers and of Lawrence's actual life when he worked in a garment manufacturing company, a sort of hoisery company and medical supplies. I recall that there was a boss there or owner who fits the description of Sam Adams, that is if I recall this correctly. I also recall many young woman working there, some quite flirtious and agressive. Lawrence really got an education at that company on woman and how they acted. He worked as a clerk but he very much enjoyed their attention, I believe. This was L's first job away from home. When he speaks of" His fondness for the girls, or the fondness of the girls for him, was notorious." I thought of this place immediately. Also, to note is the fact that at one time Lawrence's own mother sold handmade, pulled lace in their house. I have a photo of the house with a shop-type window and I will post it. In Lawrence's book "The Lost Girl" his main character is a young woman who sells lace, probably fashioned after his mother, especially since the father once had money and later went broke, this was true of his mother's family. Well, sorry I am getting of the path now, but that is a bit of Lawrence trivia for you.

Below is a photo of one of Lawrence's early homes; third house from the left. His parents moved here so that his mother could utilize the shop window to sell her laces.

The fact that Sam Adams gave parties for the pleasure of others is a good note for him.
    True, but I don't think he gave this party out of total generosity of heart. He liked to dance and party and loved to be surrounded by woman and indulge them, so this is his stage. He liked very much to flaunt himself and play the perfect host.

Is this something like the well known proverb ''to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth''?
    I don't think so. Here we go again! 'Lost in translation', but now the translation is French, isn't it? I thought you were our official translator? I think 'amourette' would refer to 'amour' - which is love, correct, in French? I think we need to look it up.

From this part of the text we understand that Elsie was very happy because she was in the centre of the attention, by advancing with Sam Adams and having the pleasure to dance with him. The passage where she is looking in the mirror shows her narcisist character and makes me think again of Scarlett O'Hara. I have the impression that she left Whiston alone - she advanced in the crowd with Adams...wasn't that a bit rude? I imagine what poor Whiston thinks.
    I think she is rude and unfeeling/inconsiderate towards her husband. I think she sort of whiskes him asside in order to get on with the dancing and showing herself off to everyone, not just Sam Adams.

Janine, I let you comment now. Sincerely, I am also very tired...maybe we'd better take a break in August what do you think? I am also changing but I feel tired out...I imagine how you must feel...
    I will go back over the text since a few additional things did stand out to me on first reading it. For instance, I found this to be an interesting statement:

This tells us, to some degree, that Sam Adams thinks he is 'generous' but only on his own terms and is a bit of a snob about inviting just anyone to his parties. He draws a distinct line 'not inviting factory hands and labourers'.

Here too, is a short description of her husband and his attire:

He strode with long strides, his trousers handsomely strapped under his boots, and her silk shoes bulging the pockets of his full-skirted overcoat.
    This short statement strikes me that Teddy is dressed handsomely, neatly, but not flashy; however, appropriately. So he is not a shabby dresser by far.

This following statement depicts well the first impression of the scene in party room where the women and men are dancing, or about to dance. Note that the room is filled with light and aglow with ladies in full shirts. Light is a big feature in any of Lawrence's works; usually contrasting later with darkness or shadows. Remember it was so in "Shades of Spring"?

So much light in that one paragraph!

This statement also struck me, Sam Adams announces:

It is as though she planned it that way for effect, don't you think? Also he can flatter her by calling her 'royalty.' As they say for 'a grand entrance'. One is noticed more this way and makes the person waiting more anxious to see you.

If you noticed earlier, it was stated that Mr. Whiston also worked for Sam Adams in this statement

"At that time he worked for Sam Adams"

As I said, Lawrence had worked at a similar company as a clerk. So again he is probably writing about things he knew and characters or types that he was familiar with.

In this following statement I found it curious and noteworthy - the part about his mouth and how she reacts to it.

To her his mouth is 'disturbing'. This seems to hint at the fact that she likes the 'idea' of the man, maybe more than he himself, as a person or physically. She really seems repelled (not attracted by him) at that instant. But then the dance seems to take over and sweep her away to another world. The last line says he is very 'gallant'; from her perspective, I am sure. I don't feel she is truly attracted to Sam Adams, but more for effect, she knows she is going to make an impression on everyone, plus it is a sort of fantasy game she is playing, to feed her own ego, don't you think?

This photo is what the view would have looked like across from lawrence's house at the top of this page. It would be a view of the Hagg's farm and the wheat fields.

This last photo is of Lawrence country - I believe Nottingham, the countryside.

Hey,Downing, nice to have illustrations, isn't it?
    Last edited by Janine; 07-27-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hi I'm back. "The White Stocking" is the new story, I see. I don't know if I've ever read that one. OK, I'll see if I can read it this weekend.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the photos, Janine! The country-side looks beautiful. Lawrence was lucky to be living in such a place.

I am afraid I am a bit busy these days, might not get enough to comment on all story parts, but I am trying to read all the comments posted here.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Firstly, let us try to clarify the amourette problem I looked up and found this:

amourette=passing infatuation
    And which would be the point? I was born with a passing infatuation in my mouth? That's hilarious
    I'll do further research, maybe I find out something.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine
    You know the first time I read this story, I did not realise that second part was set in the past (flashback). So the story has three parts: present, past, back to present. Lawrence used this same technique in 'The Prussian Officer'. It is an interesting way to present a story, don't you think?
    I agree with you, flashback is an interesting technique. I don't think you recall, Janine, but I also used it in one of my short story. Actually, I used it in more of my short stories. I used the exact times: present,past,back in present .

don't know if he is an actual playboy but he sure does like the ladies. After reading this story I am reminded of a part of Sons and Lovers and of Lawrence's actual life when he worked in a garment manufacturing company, a sort of hoisery company and medical supplies. I recall that there was a boss there or owner who fits the description of Sam Adams, that is if I recall this correctly. I also recall many young woman working there, some quite flirtious and agressive. Lawrence really got an education at that company on woman and how they acted. He worked as a clerk but he very much enjoyed their attention, I believe. This was L's first job away from home. When he speaks of" His fondness for the girls, or the fondness of the girls for him, was notorious." I thought of this place immediately. Also, to note is the fact that at one time Lawrence's own mother sold handmade, pulled lace in their house. I have a photo of the house with a shop-type window and I will post it. In Lawrence's book "The Lost Girl" his main character is a young woman who sells lace, probably fashioned after his mother, especially since the father once had money and later went broke, this was true of his mother's family. Well, sorry I am getting of the path now, but that is a bit of Lawrence trivia for you.
    Thank you Janine for sharing with us your vast Lawrence knowledges. This is an interesting thing.

True, but I don't think he gave this party out of total generosity of heart. He liked to dance and party and loved to be surrounded by woman and indulge them, so this is his stage. He liked very much to flaunt himself and play the perfect host.[/Quote[
    Certainly, I agree with you that Sam Adams wasn't doing all these for the people from upper class(remember the quote- by the way, great interpretation of Adam's snobist behaviour!), but for his own pleasure, too. Actually, I think he was a really selfish person- the fact that he sends Elsie that stocking(a bit indecent in those times as you pointed out once, I believe) for receiving some attention back from her shows this.
    Janine,was Elsie married to Whiston at this part of the story?

She had been a warehouse girl in Adams's lace factory before she was married.
    I think that Whiston was just her love interest at that time.

I have to go now. My cousins and my uncle from Bucharest have come at our place for three days and we are having a great time. Today we went in a trip in the surroundings of the town, in a wild place, unaltered by people, in a valley, between two high mountains. It was marvellous! So I am busy with my ''host'' job, but I try not to neglect my ''commenter'' job

Virgil, glad to see you back. With you, I hope we won't be so exhausted as we feel now.

Pensive, take your time. We know that all of us also have a real life which counts a lot!

Janine,was Elsie married to Whiston at this part of the story?
    Again, I am not Janine but I think that she was not married to Whiston then. It is mentioned later in the story that she refused working at Adams' factory and 'in a few weeks after that' she and Whiston got married.

I think that Whiston was just her love interest at that time.
    Yes, precisely.

I have to go now. My cousins and my uncle from Bucharest have come at our place for three days and we are having a great time. Today we went in a trip in the surroundings of the town, in a wild place, unaltered by people, in a valley, between two high mountains. It was marvellous! So I am busy with my ''host'' job, but I try not to neglect my ''commenter'' job
    Hey, this seems like fun! Enjoy yourself!

Virgil, glad to see you back. With you, I hope we won't be so exhausted as we feel now.
    Yup, good to see Virgil! The more the merrier.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Hi this is your leader speaking - Haha! Be back soon. Having a connection problem. Carry on without me until then. I will try and check in at the library computer (on it now) on Wednesday night. Until then feel free to post next part of story. Hi Virgil, glad to see you back! Janine

Blog Entries
    Hi gang! It is me again. I tried to put the story on my flash device this afternoon so I could post more here at my library but it won't work like it did before. I have to figure it out still. A weird window keeps coming up.
    Good news is that I got through today (finally) to my internet provider and they will mail me out a new modem - ofcourse at the cost of $39.95. Oh well, my problem in the storm could have been way worse. It will take 3 to 5 days to get it so I will try to stop back tomorrow night here in the library. I feel like I am missing everything but really I did need a computer rest. haha! Downing, enjoy your days off too and Virgil, take your time reading the story. If I can I will post the next part of the story tomorrow night - be patient - I have it all divided up and in my file ready to post. I hope to put it on the flash device tomorrow so I can bring it here.
    Glad to see you back, Virgil! Hi Pensive, I enjoyed your post and Downings. I read all the recent posts last night and again tonight. Time is running out here, so I can't email anyone and besides my PM box says it is 96% full -- oh yikes - time to clear out again, before I can even write back.
    See you all tomorrow night! Janine

Blog Entries
    Back at the library -- good news! I got the modem in the mail today - wow, that sure was quick....overnight express! I will post the next part of the story tonight after I get the modem installed on my machine. Then I will be swingin' on here again. See you all them...I have missed you....J