Page 25 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575125 ... LastLast

Thread: D.H. Lawrence's Short Stories Thread

Blog Entries
    Here's the first part of the story - it sets up an image of the wedded couple of 2 yrs. Several things/clues really stand out in this 'first impression' of the two people and their young marriage.

The White Stocking

I

"I'm getting up, Teddilinks," said Mrs Whiston, and she sprang out of bed briskly

"What the Hanover's got you?" asked Whiston.

"Nothing. Can't I get up?" she replied animatedly.

It was about seven o'clock, scarcely light yet in the cold bedroom. Whiston lay still and looked at his wife. She was a pretty little thing, with her fleecy, short black hair all tousled . . . He watched her as she dressed quickly, flicking her small, delightful limbs, throwing her clothes about her. Her slovenliness and untidiness did not trouble him. When she picked up the edge of her petticoat, ripped off a torn string of white lace, and flung it on the dressing-table, her careless abandon made his spirit glow. She stood before the mirror and roughly scrambled together her profuse little mane of hair. He watched the quickness and softness of her young shoulders, calmly, like a husband, and appreciatively.

"Rise up," she cried, turning to him with a quick wave of her arm--"and shine forth."

They had been married two years. But still, when she had gone out of the room, he felt as if all his light and warmth were taken away, he became aware of the raw, cold morning. So he rose himself, wondering casually what had roused her so early. Usually she lay in bed as late as she could.
    Whiston fastened a belt round his loins and went downstairs in shirt and trousers. He heard her singing in her snatchy fashion. The stairs creaked under his weight. He passed down the narrow little passage, which she called a hall, of the seven and sixpenny house which was his first home.
    He was a shapely young fellow of about twenty-eight, sleepy now and easy with well-being. He heard the water drumming into the kettle, and she began to whistle. He loved the quick way she dodged the supper cups under the tap to wash them for breakfast. She looked an untidy minx, but she was quick and handy enough.

"Teddilinks," she cried.

"What?"

"Light a fire, quick."

She wore an old, sack-like dressing-jacket of black silk pinned across her breast. But one of the sleeves, coming unfastened, showed some delightful pink upper-arm.

"Why don't you sew your sleeve up?" he said, suffering from the sight of the exposed soft flesh.

"Where?" she cried, peering round. "Nuisance," she said, seeing the gap, then with light fingers went on drying the cups.

The kitchen was of fair size, but gloomy. Whiston poked out the dead ashes.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

About fifteen minutes ago, I finished reading The White Stocking! Without any doubt, I found it a very engaging and interesting story which didn't let my attention waver for even a minute! Every dialogue made me curious about what would be that, that would follow this dialogue. Characters, like Lawrence's other works I have read, were complex but very 'interesting' which were enough to make me inquisitive about them and how they would end the story. They annoyed me. Made me feel with them. Made me even pity them. Made me put (imagine) myself into their situation and ponder how would I have done if I were on their place!
    Elsie especially was a great source of annoyance for me sometimes. But yet I could not restrain myself from pitying her, she seemed very shallow. Of course, she looks young but she must be older than fifteen. Even a child of ten can understand what 'loyalty' means but Elsie seemed to be acting worse than a child on some situations. Yet I felt pity for her, why? I can't be sure about that, perhaps on how she got beaten by her husband and perhaps because her 'shallowness' was what made me pity her...

From The White Stocking:

Now I am really curious why Lawrence has used the word 'gloomy' here. Was it for just the looks of the kitchen or something more deeper? Perhaps it's the character's mood (Elsie's coldness for her husband) which is influencing the atmosphere? Or perhaps I have become paranoid enough to beat some sentences as long as they don't provide me a meaning (whether true or false)?
    Last edited by Pensive; 07-22-2007 at 08:16 AM.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    I don't have much to say about this part of the story. Things are very clear. But there is a sentence that makes me think about and admire L's style.
    They had been married two years. But still, when she had gone out of the room, he felt as if all his light and warmth were taken away, he became aware of the raw, cold morning.
    The structure ''but still'' makes me think that, in Lawrence's oppinion, a man doesn't love his wife after two years of marriage so madly as at the beginning. This is a well known idea, that love dies after some time, and its place is taken by mutual respect and other feelings. Janine, you know more about L, so you could tell me whether I am wrong or not. The fact is that Whiston still loves his wife very much. I think that his later jealousy rouses from this passionate love.
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

Quote Originally Posted by downing View Post
    The structure ''but still'' makes me think that, in Lawrence's oppinion, a man doesn't love his wife after two years of marriage so madly as at the beginning. This is a well known idea, that love dies after some time, and its place is taken by mutual respect and other feelings. Janine, you know more about L, so you could tell me whether I am wrong or not. The fact is that Whiston still loves his wife very much. I think that his later jealousy rouses from this passionate love.
    Though I am not Janine and don't think that I know much about Lawrence but I think this is actually a good point. I have mostly observed/heard that the romantic passion usually vanishes away as the time passes with married couples. We can't deny it being love but perhaps its nature changes. Things a kind of 'cool down' in most of the cases. But with Teddy, the matter seems to be different. And yes, his jealousy does rise because of this passionate love.

Later, in this very story, the way Lawrence has described Teddy following Elsie like a shadow (I think he has used these very words) also assures this. And his feelings during the time Elsie is jeering at him also indicate this. He loves her passionately.

Blog Entries
    Hi Pensive - are you trying to imitate me, Janine?....haha. Then you [B]will have to start bolding up everyone’s names! I do think by now you know more about L than you profess.
    Hi Downing - I am back and trying to think. My poor brain is tired out by now; it is the weekend.
    I am glad, P, you liked the story so much. D, I thought you would say you that you liked the other story best of the two. I know you both so well by now; you two have done a good job in starting the discussion off. Thanks!

Here is the story again and I will underline somethings I wish to discuss.

"I'm getting up, Teddilinks," said Mrs Whiston, and she sprang out of bed briskly

"What the Hanover's got you?" asked Whiston.

"Nothing. Can't I get up?" she replied animatedly.

It was about seven o'clock, scarcely light yet in the cold bedroom. Whiston lay still and looked at his wife. She was a pretty little thing, with her fleecy, short black hair all tousled . . . He watched her as she dressed quickly, flicking her small, delightful limbs, throwing her clothes about her. Her slovenliness and untidiness did not trouble him. When she picked up the edge of her petticoat, ripped off a torn string of white lace, and flung it on the dressing-table, her careless abandon made his spirit glow. She stood before the mirror and roughly scrambled together her profuse little mane of hair. He watched the quickness and softness of her young shoulders, calmly, like a husband, and appreciatively.

"Rise up," she cried, turning to him with a quick wave of her arm--"and shine forth."

They had been married two years. But still, when she had gone out of the room, he felt as if all his light and warmth were taken away, he became aware of the raw, cold morning. So he rose himself, wondering casually what had roused her so early. Usually she lay in bed as late as she could.
    Whiston fastened a belt round his loins and went downstairs in shirt and trousers. He heard her singing in her snatchy fashion. The stairs creaked under his weight. He passed down the narrow little passage, which she called a hall, of the seven and sixpenny house which was his first home.
    He was a shapely young fellow of about twenty-eight, sleepy now and easy with well-being. He heard the water drumming into the kettle, and she began to whistle. He loved the quick way she dodged the supper cups under the tap to wash them for breakfast. She looked an untidy minx, but she was quick and handy enough.

"Teddilinks," she cried.

"What?"

"Light a fire, quick."

She wore an old, sack-like dressing-jacket of black silk pinned across her breast. But one of the sleeves, coming unfastened, showed some delightful pink upper-arm.

"Why don't you sew your sleeve up?" he said, suffering from the sight of the exposed soft flesh.

"Where?" she cried, peering round. "Nuisance," she said, seeing the gap, then with light fingers went on drying the cups.

Here are words or phrases that are direct clues in describing Mrs.Whitson.

“throwing her clothes about her, slovenliness and untidiness, ripped off a torn string, careless abandon, roughly scrambled, Usually she lay in bed as late as she could, untidy minx.”

So that we now get a first impression that she is quite lazy or careless, casual in her appearance and manor. Even in the lines about washing the cups, she does it rapidly and many of her moments are brisk and impulsive it seems, such as quickly jumping up from bed and being quite playful and flip with her husband. Even her singing is in a “snatchy fashion.” She seems to be very carefree and happy, but not too ambitious or attentive as a wife.

The second part I underlined indicates they are not newly weds, but have been “married two years” , and he is twenty-eight, her age has not been stated yet.

“shapely young fellow of about twenty-eight, sleepy now and easy with well-being. So this tells us a little bit about the husband.

The last two words or phrases are curious – “gloomy” to describe the kitchen and Whiston poking out the “dead ashes” – It seems that the wife is gaity next to this ordinary existence and gloomy room. Also, I wonder if this is prophetic of what will come in the future…not sure.

I get the impression that they are quite different but love each other very much. I can see that he is more layed back and calm and she is more lively, vivacious, playful and careless.

Downing:
    I don't have much to say about this part of the story. Things are very clear. But there is a sentence that makes me think about and admire L's style.

They had been married two years. But still, when she had gone out of the room, he felt as if all his light and warmth were taken away, he became aware of the raw, cold morning.
    Downing, I agree with some of what you say, but I don’t think “love dies after some time”, nor do I believe that Lawrence ever felt the love was gone and replaced with mutual repect, etc. However, I certainly do think that realistically it develops into another stage and is not as it was in the beginning, it is transformed or I believe Lawrence felt it a 'transfiguration'; if Virgil were here, he would be able to better give an explanation of the way in which Lawrence defined that word in relation to woman/man relationships. Lawrence was very aware of these stages of marriage and of the differences in women and man, how this set up challenges at each point in a marriage to make the marriage and relationship work. It takes ‘work’ to be married and as they say eventually, “the honeymoon is over” or that initial ‘passion and bliss’ is eventually replaced by a ‘deeper and more secure’ type of love. Love takes many forms. Mature love is something one has to develop over time. One can not stay realistic and be floating on the clouds forever, real life takes over and married couples have to adjust. I think here, in this particular story, L is exploring this to some degree, and probably the story is quite personal to him, in working out the 'kinks' in his own marriage at the time. In Lawrence’s full-length novels that followed, such as “The Rainbow” and “Women in Love”, even Lady Chatterly’s Love” Lawrence goes into much depth and personal exploration, in order to come to a closer/better understanding of this mysterious bond between man and woman. He also felt this union was mystical and a center of life. He very much was for the idea of marriage as a permanent and necessary mode of living. Within his own marriage, he went through many stages of adjustment. He wrote a series of poems on this idea called “Coming Through”.
    I agree that his later jealously does spring from a deep well of passionate love for his wife and maybe more importantly a genuine deeper understanding of her.

Pensive:
    Originally Posted by downing
    Though I am not Janine and don't think that I know much about Lawrence but I think this is actually a good point. I have mostly observed/heard that the romantic passion usually vanishes away as the time passes with married couples. We can't deny it being love but perhaps its nature changes. Things a kind of 'cool down' in most of the cases. But with Teddy, the matter seems to be different. And yes, his jealousy does rise because of this passionate love.

Later, in this very story, the way Lawrence has described Teddy following Elsie like a shadow (I think he has used these very words) also assures this. And his feelings during the time Elsie is jeering at him also indicate this. He loves her passionately.
    Pensive, when you said this “We can't deny it being love but perhaps its nature changes.” I do agree and expounded on that idea above. I think there is a 'cooling down' and they say that people can even ‘fall in and out of love’ – if one lives 'day in and day out' with a person the glamour of the moment is not going to stay the same. Brushing your teeth with your spouse, would prove this or sharing everyday mundane duties, will soon bring a married couple back down to earth.
    You are right in that it seems that Teddy is more enormored still with his wife and mesmerized in a fairytale fashion by her flamboyance. It does remind me of Scarlet O’Hara and how she bedazzled the males with her liviliness. Mr. Whiston is definitely flamboyant and very much alive. Teddy is very 'layed back' and probably needs this to round out his own 'quieter' personality. They are complimentary to each other, yet trouble/friction will eventually ensue and erupt from that difference.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-22-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Hi Pensive - are you trying to imitate me, Janine?....haha. Then you [B]will have to start bolding up everyone’s names!
    I guess then I am not too good with imitation. Can't write such long informative posts which you do.

I do think by now you know more about L than you profess.
    I hope so!

Here is the story again and I will underline somethings I wish to discuss.

Here are words or phrases that are direct clues in describing Mrs.Whitson.

“throwing her clothes about her, slovenliness and untidiness, ripped off a torn string, careless abandon, roughly scrambled, Usually she lay in bed as late as she could, untidy minx.”

So that we now get a first impression that she is quite lazy or careless, casual in her appearance and manor. Even in the lines about washing the cups, she does it rapidly and many of her moments are brisk and impulsive it seems, such as quickly jumping up from bed and being quite playful and flip with her husband. Even her singing is in a “snatchy fashion.” She seems to be very carefree and happy, but not too ambitious or attentive as a wife.

The second part I underlined indicates they are not newly weds, but have been “married two years” , and he is twenty-eight, her age has not been stated yet.

“shapely young fellow of about twenty-eight, sleepy now and easy with well-being. So this tells us a little bit about the husband.

The last two words or phrases are curious – “gloomy” to describe the kitchen and Whiston poking out the “dead ashes” – It seems that the wife is gaity next to this ordinary existence and gloomy room. Also, I wonder if this is prophetic of what will come in the future…not sure.
    Nice commentary, Janine! I also feel unsure about the word 'gloomy'. Can have dual or more meanings.

I get the impression that they are quite different but love each other very much. I can see that he is more layed back and calm and she is more lively, vivacious, playful and careless.
    Yes, like opposite attract sometimes?

Pensive, when you said this “We can't deny it being love but perhaps its nature changes.” I do agree and expounded on that idea above. I think there is a 'cooling down' and they say that people can even ‘fall in and out of love’ – if one lives 'day in and day out' with a person the glamour of the moment is not going to stay the same. Brushing your teeth with your spouse, would prove this or sharing everyday mundane duties, will soon bring a married couple back down to earth.
    I am glad you agree here!

You are right in that it seems that Teddy is more enormored still with his wife and mesmerized in a fairytale fashion by her flamboyance. It does remind me of Scarlet O’Hara and how she bedazzled the males with her liviliness. Mr. Whiston is definitely flamboyant and very much alive. Teddy is very 'layed back' and probably needs this to round out his own 'quieter' personality. They are complimentary to each other, yet trouble/friction will eventually ensue and erupt from that difference.
    Ummm Janine, you meant Mr. Sam Adams here, right? Not Teddy Whiston?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    I guess then I am not too good with imitation. Can't write such long informative posts which you do.
    Hi Pensive, you may not be able to imitate me exactly but I did get a good laugh from you trying. No one can be so long-winded as I am --- well, maybe Virgil can and sometime manolia writes a long post in WIL. Hurry back, Virgil, we need you to keep Janine in her place!

I hope so!
    Yes, I do think, Pensy, you have much rattling around in your brain now about Lawrence. Your first book, "Sons and Lovers", reveals much about the young Lawrence. It infiltrates one slowly and takes over because it is so real and the writing so vivid. For me all his writing is like this and by now, I am totally obsessed. Manolia asked me just how many books I owned on Lawrence and I made a rough count - guess how many??? 20 and there may be more I missed! One huge book even contains about 5 of his novels and other shorter works. I have 3 biographies, one on the way from Amazon, and all this is not to even mention all the resource material I have copied to my hard-drive. Duh, well I suppose I know more than I thought. So if I don't know the answer anyone asks me on here, at least I might be able to check all my source material and come up with it. Oh forgot to mention 4 films based on L's books and one about part of his life and poetry. It is a good collection by now.

Nice commentary, Janine! I also feel unsure about the word 'gloomy'. Can have dual or more meanings.
    Thanks, Pensive. Many things seemed easily to come into my mind last night.
    Using the word 'gloomy' could be a device to introduce the darker elements into the story. Lawrence was an artist and a craftsman with his writing. I can see that this part of the story suddenly turns the gaiety of the beginning to a darker view and may speak to us, saying 'all is not as it seems', not total marital bliss at this point. As they say 'the scene begins to pale or darken'.

Yes, like opposite attract sometimes?
    Yes, perhaps and complimentary; each person making up for what the other lacks. Often quiet and vivicious people get along well, since they don't compete for attention, even in friendships, and they provide what the other needs to make themselves feel whole. Also, I know from some reading I did last in a commentary by a critic that Lawrence very much explored the differences between the two - man and woman - and felt it was a complex/mysterious thing and that they would always be different and think differently. I imagine one could call it 'the war of the sexes', but men will react differently to situations than women will. It is a proven fact that we do think differently and there is polarity. At this point in Lawrence's early writing, he is still quite young - in his mid to late 20's and he is still forming his ideas on men and women and relationships and just how they opperate, and how they can work, in order to endure.

I am glad you agree here!
    So am I! This way I won't have to write one of my lengthy posts.

Ummm Janine, you meant Mr. Sam Adams here, right? Not Teddy Whiston?
    Oops, my mistake.....I meant to say Mrs. Whiston. Sorry, I will go back and fix that in my text. I have not gotten to Mr. Sam Adams yet, and I don't think I would call a man flamboyant, although I suppose he could be; rather I might call a man a sort of 'dandy' or 'flashy'. I forget just what Mr. Sam Adams was like so I won't assign adjectives to him at this time.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-23-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Yes, I do think, Pensy, you have much rattling around in your brain now about Lawrence. Your first book, "Sons and Lovers", reveals much about the young Lawrence. It infiltrates one slowly and takes over because it is so real and the writing so vivid. For me all his writing is like this and by now, I am totally obsessed. Manolia asked me just how many books I owned on Lawrence and I made a rough count - guess how many??? 20 and there may be more I missed! One huge book even contains about 5 of his novels and other shorter works. I have 3 biographies, one on the way from Amazon, and all this is not to even mention all the resource material I have copied to my hard-drive. Duh, well I suppose I know more than I thought. So if I don't know the answer anyone asks me on here, at least I might be able to check all my source material and come up with it. Oh forgot to mention 4 films based on L's books and one about part of his life and poetry. It is a good collection by now.
    Oh my goodness! You are totally a Lawrence-fan!

Thanks, Pensive. Many things seemed easily to come into my mind last night.
    Using the word 'gloomy' could be a device to introduce the darker elements into the story. Lawrence was an artist and a craftsman with his writing. I can see that this part of the story suddenly turns the gaiety of the beginning to a darker view and may speak to us, saying 'all is not as it seems', not total marital bliss at this point. As they say 'the scene begins to pale or darken'.
    This was how I felt. It was relating to the darkness in the story. Perhaps the character's feelings or the prediction of what was about to come.

Yes, perhaps and complimentary; each person making up for what the other lacks. Often quiet and vivicious people get along well, since they don't compete for attention, even in friendships, and they provide what the other needs to make themselves feel whole. Also, I know from some reading I did last in a commentary by a critic that Lawrence very much explored the differences between the two - man and woman - and felt it was a complex/mysterious thing and that they would always be different and think differently. I imagine one could call it 'the war of the sexes', but men will react differently to situations than women will. It is a proven fact that we do think differently and there is polarity. At this point in Lawrence's early writing, he is still quite young - in his mid to late 20's and he is still forming his ideas on men and women and relationships and just how they opperate, and how they can work, in order to endure.
    I think it all depends from person to person. Some people can't even live happily with people different from them.

So am I! This way I won't have to write one of my lengthy posts.
    Hehe. But sometimes disagreements make a discussion interesting and more exciting! Again, depends.

Oops, my mistake.....I meant to say Mrs. Whiston. Sorry, I will go back and fix that in my text. I have not gotten to Mr. Sam Adams yet, and I don't think I would call a man flamboyant, although I suppose he could be; rather I might call a man a sort of 'dandy' or 'flashy'. I forget just what Mr. Sam Adams was like so I won't assign adjectives to him at this time.
    That's a tiny mistake everyone can make, don't feel sorry! My mind suddenly jumped to Mr. Sam Adams because somewhere in the story I read about him being called florid which has nearly the same meaning as flamboyant.

Okay, I have found now where I read it.

From The White Stocking:
    He was a bachelor of forty, growing stout, a man well-dressed and florid
    Oops, sorry for jumping out of the context we were discussing. You know old habits die hard!

Blog Entries
    Pensive, I just saw your post as I went to get more of the story. Yes, a huge Lawrence fan now. Over the past few years I have become increasingly obsessed. There is so much more new material out there about him which you could not get a few years back. I just bought 2 more L books last night, like I don't have enough already!

Everything else in your post seems to be in agreement with me. Yes, you are right 'florid' is something like 'flamboyant'. Thanks for pointing that out.

So here is the next part of the story:

Suddenly a thud was heard at the door down the passage.
    "I'll go," cried Mrs Whiston, and she was gone down the hall.

The postman was a ruddy-faced man who had been a soldier. He smiled broadly, handing her some packages.
    "They've not forgot you," he said impudently.

"No--lucky for them," she said, with a toss of the head. But she was interested only in her envelopes this morning. The postman waited inquisitively, smiling in an ingratiating fashion. She slowly, abstractedly, as if she did not know anyone was there, closed the door in his face, continuing to look at the addresses on her letters.

She tore open the thin envelope. There was a long, hideous, cartoon valentine. She smiled briefly and dropped it on the floor. Struggling with the string of a packet, she opened a white cardboard box, and there lay a white silk handkerchief packed neatly under the paper lace of the box, and her initial, worked in heliotrope, fully displayed. She smiled pleasantly, and gently put the box aside. The third envelope contained another white packet--apparently a cotton handkerchief neatly folded. She shook it out. It was a long white stocking, but there was a little weight in the toe. Quickly, she thrust down her arm, wriggling her fingers into the toe of the stocking, and brought out a small box. She peeped inside the box, then hastily opened a door on her left hand, and went into the little, cold sitting-room. She had her lower lip caught earnestly between her teeth.

With a little flash of triumph, she lifted a pair of pearl ear-rings from the small box, and she went to the mirror. There, earnestly, she began to hook them through her ears, looking at herself sideways in the glass. Curiously concentrated and intent she seemed as she fingered the lobes of her ears, her head bent on one side.

Then the pearl ear-rings dangled under her rosy, small ears. She shook her head sharply, to see the swing of the drops. They went chill against her neck, in little, sharp touches. Then she stood still to look at herself, bridling her head in the dignified fashion. Then she simpered at herself. Catching her own eye, she could not help winking at herself and laughing.
    She turned to look at the box. There was a scrap of paper with this posy:

"Pearls may be fair, but thou art fairer. Wear these for me, and I'll love the wearer."
    She made a grimace and a grin. But she was drawn to the mirror again, to look at her ear-rings.

Whiston had made the fire burn, so he came to look for her. When she heard him, she started round quickly, guiltily. She was watching him with intent blue eyes when he appeared.

He did not see much, in his morning-drowsy warmth. He gave her, as ever, a feeling of warmth and slowness. His eyes were very blue, very kind, his manner simple.

"What ha' you got?" he asked.

"Valentines," she said briskly, ostentatiously turning to show him the silk handkerchief. She thrust it under his nose. "Smell how good," she said.

"Who's that from?" he replied, without smelling.

"It's a valentine," she cried. "How da I know who it's from?"

"I'll bet you know," he said.

"Ted!--I don't!" she cried, beginning to shake her head, then stopping because of the ear-rings.

He stood still a moment, displeased.

"They've no right to send you valentines, now," he said.

"Ted!--Why not? You're not jealous, are you? I haven't the least idea who it's from. Look--there's my initial"--she pointed with an emphatic finger at the heliotrope embroidery--

"E for Elsie, Nice little gelsie,"
    she sang.

"Get out," he said. "You know who it's from."

"Truth, I don't," she cried.

He looked round, and saw the white stocking lying on a chair.

"Is this another?" he said.

"No, that's a sample," she said. "There's only a comic." And she fetched in the long cartoon.

He stretched it out and looked at it solemnly.
    "Fools!" he said, and went out of the room.

She flew upstairs and took off the ear-rings. When she returned, he was crouched before the fire blowing the coals. The skin of his face was flushed, and slightly pitted, as if he had had small-pox. But his neck was white and smooth and goodly. She hung her arms round his neck as he crouched there, and clung to him. He balanced on his toes.

"This fire's a slow-coach," he said.

"And who else is a slow-coach?" she said.

"One of us two, I know," he said, and he rose carefully. She remained clinging round his neck, so that she was lifted off her feet.

"Ha!--swing me," she cried.
    He lowered his head, and she hung in the air, swinging from his neck, laughing. Then she slipped off.

"The kettle is singing," she sang, flying for the teapot. He bent down again to blow the fire. The veins in his neck stood out, his shirt collar seemed too tight.

"Doctor Wyer,

Blow the fire,

Puff! puff! puff!"

she sang, laughing.

He smiled at her.
    She was so glad because of her pearl ear-rings.

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    Suddenly a thud was heard at the door down the passage.
    "I'll go," cried Mrs Whiston, and she was gone down the hall.

The postman was a ruddy-faced man who had been a soldier. He smiled broadly, handing her some packages.

"No--lucky for them," she said, with a toss of the head. But she was interested only in her envelopes this morning. The postman waited inquisitively, smiling in an ingratiating fashion. She slowly, abstractedly, as if she did not know anyone was there, closed the door in his face, continuing to look at the addresses on her letters.
    This passage shows that Elsie is a very attractive woman: the postman is attracted by her, this fact being showed by his behaviour. In her presence, the postman becomes rude: he is ''impudently''. ''Smiling in an ingratiating fashion''- I don't understand what does this ingratiating smile mean; the explanation of the word is:
    ingratiating
    adjective DISAPPROVING
    describes behaviour that is intended to make people like you:
    an ingratiating smile/manner

Does this mean that the postman wants to make Elsie feel what he feels, that he wants to make her flirt with him?

She slowly, abstractedly, as if she did not know anyone was there, closed the door in his face, continuing to look at the addresses on her letters.
    Elsie's rude acting strenghthens my antipathy for Elsie.

She peeped inside the box, then hastily opened a door on her left hand, and went into the little, cold sitting-room. She had her lower lip caught earnestly between her teeth.
    These consecutive actions show that Elsie is thrilled when she sees the box which contained the pearl ear rings.

The next scenes remind me of Scarlett O'Hara's way of posing in front of the looking glass and reveal Elisie's playful character.

"What ha' you got?" he asked.

"Valentines," she said briskly, ostentatiously turning to show him the silk handkerchief. She thrust it under his nose. "Smell how good," she said.

"Who's that from?" he replied, without smelling.

"It's a valentine," she cried. "How da I know who it's from?"

"I'll bet you know," he said.

"Ted!--I don't!" she cried, beginning to shake her head, then stopping because of the ear-rings.

He stood still a moment, displeased.

"Ted!--Why not? You're not jealous, are you? I haven't the least idea who it's from. Look--there's my initial"--she pointed with an emphatic finger at the heliotrope embroidery--

"E for Elsie, Nice little gelsie,"
    she sang.

"Get out," he said. "You know who it's from."

"Truth, I don't," she cried.

He looked round, and saw the white stocking lying on a chair.

"Is this another?" he said.

"No, that's a sample," she said. "There's only a comic." And she fetched in the long cartoon.

He stretched it out and looked at it solemnly.
    "Fools!" he said, and went out of the room.
    The dialogue between Elsie and Teddy show his jealousy and the fact that she hides from him the identity of the sender. Elsie's got another flaw- she lies to her husband.

I agree with Teddy in this case. I found a similarity between Mr. Whiston and the keeper from ''Shades of Spring''- both men think logically, unlike Mr. Sam Adams and Elsie from this story and Syson and Hilda from ''Shades of Spring''. You see? Both actual parteners of the feminine character think logically. Perhaps because they represent the present and reality, whereas the others represent the past and in the same time, other thinking.

She flew upstairs and took off the ear-rings. When she returned, he was crouched before the fire blowing the coals. The skin of his face was flushed, and slightly pitted, as if he had had small-pox. But his neck was white and smooth and goodly. She hung her arms round his neck as he crouched there, and clung to him. He balanced on his toes.

"This fire's a slow-coach," he said.

"And who else is a slow-coach?" she said.

"One of us two, I know," he said, and he rose carefully. She remained clinging round his neck, so that she was lifted off her feet.

"Ha!--swing me," she cried.
    He lowered his head, and she hung in the air, swinging from his neck, laughing. Then she slipped off.

"The kettle is singing," she sang, flying for the teapot. He bent down again to blow the fire. The veins in his neck stood out, his shirt collar seemed too tight.

"Doctor Wyer,

Blow the fire,

Puff! puff! puff!"

she sang, laughing.

He smiled at her.
    She was so glad because of her pearl ear-rings.
    I think Elsie is an hypocrite. She tries to reconciliate her husband and she has succes, but in the same time she is happy ''because of her pearl ear-rings''.
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downing View Post
    This passage shows that Elsie is a very attractive woman: the postman is attracted by her, this fact being showed by his behaviour. In her presence, the postman becomes rude: he is ''impudently''. ''Smiling in an ingratiating fashion''- I don't understand what does this ingratiating smile mean; the explanation of the word is:
    ingratiating
    adjective DISAPPROVING
    describes behaviour that is intended to make people like you:
    an ingratiating smile/manner

Does this mean that the postman wants to make Elsie feel what he feels, that he wants to make her flirt with him?

Elsie's rude acting strenghthens my antipathy for Elsie.
    Downing, good ideas. I had not picked up on the postman's attitude. Perhaps he wants to flirt with her, or just be a friendly postman. She certainly does act rude to him, shutting the door in his face and also paying little attention to him. She is flip and flirty, but not to him directly, more flaunting of herself as she looks at her mail. I am sure she is aware of the effect it has on him viewing her. I think her answer to his statement
    "No--lucky for them," she said, with a toss of the head."

is quite revealing of how she perceives herself, she is making whoever sent the parcels 'lucky' by accepting them; thus continuing to associate with her.

These consecutive actions show that Elsie is thrilled when she sees the box which contained the pearl ear rings.

The next scenes remind me of Scarlett O'Hara's way of posing in front of the looking glass and reveal Elisie's playful character.
    Yes, she is very into presents and shows a bit of shallow thinking and vanity. She does not think of much except, being flattered by the presents and therefore is quite vain and likes herself very much; she is quite conceited and shallow.

The dialogue between Elsie and Teddy show his jealousy and the fact that she hides from him the identity of the sender. Elsie's got another flaw- she lies to her husband.
    Yes, she does lie to her husband or she is evasive with him for certain. It seems to be a game with her to lord over him the little love treasures she has received, but from another man....obviously he suspects as much. She is playing a dangerous game with him - one of 'power' in a marriage.

I agree with Teddy in this case. I found a similarity between Mr. Whiston and the keeper from ''Shades of Spring''- both men think logically, unlike Mr. Sam Adams and Elsie from this story and Syson and Hilda from ''Shades of Spring''. You see? Both actual parteners of the feminine character think logically. Perhaps because they represent the present and reality, whereas the others represent the past and in the same time, other thinking.
    Definitely, if you read my posted commentary at the end of "Shades of Spring", you will notice that the critic speaks of the relationship between several of the short stories and the main characters, and also some of Lawrence's early novels. It is true that the men characters think similarly, but think of these stories as a sort of 'progression' in the author's mind and 'exploration' of the relationships between women and men. This story is advancing from "Shades of Spring" and in some ways the man is representative of Lawrence and his own marriage. I am not saying Whiston represents Lawrence, but he does represent men in general, or Lawrence's concept of men by his standards, and just how they think - which may be more logical and women more emotional. Lawrence knew very well they thought differently, but now in this story he is showing an aspect of that difference. Some woman like to be flirty and showy more than most men. Teddy is more grounded than his wife, who is perhaps not as 'mature' as he is. They have not quite worked out the kinks in their marriage. When Lawrence wrote this story, he very well would have been at the same stage with his wife, trying to adjust to each other and work out the 'kinks' in their marriage. I will check the date he wrote this with my biographies. And his wife, Frieda, had had many suitors, and was more flamboyant than Lawrence. There are some minimal parellels, but Frieda was not as 'girlish' as Elsie is in this story. This story is a fiction - let me stress that fact - but ones own life has to influence the thought process in any story for the author.

I think Elsie is an hypocrite. She tries to reconciliate her husband and she has succes, but in the same time she is happy ''because of her pearl ear-rings''.
    I think the word 'hypocrite' might be too strong a word here to describe her. Here is the definition of hypocrite:

One who pretends to be pious, virtuous, etc. without being so.

She is not demonstrating this type behavior. She is being quite obviously gay with her flirtations. She may be playing a secretive/evasive game with her husband, but she has not been 'unfaithful' to him by accepting these gifts and being playful. I think she is flaunting her femininity and power over her husband, who she feels will take it 'sitting down', as they say. Of course we know now she is in for a surprise. Later she plays this same type game at the dance, but it is all out in the open, and in some ways she plays this power game with the other man. She likes to keep them both 'on a string', but she forgets she is committed to her husband and is required to show faithfulness to him. She is being quite frivolous and childish and silly at this point in the story, but underneath it all, she is lording her power over him.

Hope all this makes sense.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-24-2007 at 03:03 PM.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry everyone, I'm packing for the move. Hopefully I will be around soon enough to comment.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Sorry everyone, I'm packing for the move. Hopefully I will be around soon enough to comment.
    Hi Grace, no problem at all. Wow, moving, to your college I would imagine. In fact, Downing and I were discussing this just today - maybe we should take a break next month from the short story thread, what do you think? Then we can start up again in Sept. I told her - "you girls are wearing me out!"

Blog Entries
    She tore open the thin envelope. There was a long, hideous, cartoon valentine. She smiled briefly and dropped it on the floor. Struggling with the string of a packet, she opened a white cardboard box, and there lay a white silk handkerchief packed neatly under the paper lace of the box, and her initial, worked in heliotrope, fully displayed. She smiled pleasantly, and gently put the box aside. The third envelope contained another white packet--apparently a cotton handkerchief neatly folded. She shook it out. It was a long white stocking, but there was a little weight in the toe. Quickly, she thrust down her arm, wriggling her fingers into the toe of the stocking, and brought out a small box. She peeped inside the box, then hastily opened a door on her left hand, and went into the little, cold sitting-room. She had her lower lip caught earnestly between her teeth.
    I really like the way in which this paragraph is written. I think it portrays the excitement of opening a package and especially one from an admirer. Of course Ellie is flattered by all this attention. She is very much a woman who craves a great deal of attention, don't you think? Interesting that she threw the 'cartoon valentine' on the floor. The second gift is nice, but does not seem to thrill her either. The pearls are expensive and obviously impress her the most. I think this paragraph also gives us a little clue as to the sender in the fact that he cleverly packed the earring box in the toe of the white stocking. The sender must be brazen to send these to a married woman and also manipulative in order to get the attention and affection of a young woman. Giving her the stocking is rather suggestive, as well, considering the time period the story was written.

Then the pearl ear-rings dangled under her rosy, small ears. She shook her head sharply, to see the swing of the drops. They went chill against her neck, in little, sharp touches. Then she stood still to look at herself, bridling her head in the dignified fashion. Then she simpered at herself. Catching her own eye, she could not help winking at herself and laughing.
    She turned to look at the box. There was a scrap of paper with this posy:

"Pearls may be fair, but thou art fairer. Wear these for me, and I'll love the wearer."
    She made a grimace and a grin. But she was drawn to the mirror again, to look at her ear-rings.
    I also like the manor in which Lawrence speaks of her looking in the glass at herself. One can picture this scene so vividly. I wonder why he said "She made a grimace and a grin"? Is she having some slight feeling of remorse for making her husband jealous by that grimace. What exactly is going through her mind as she gazes at the gifts and tries the earrings on? Also, in the statement:

"They went chill against her neck, in little, sharp touches."

It seems this ambiguity is expressed in this statement. Again what do you think?

"With a little flash of triumph, she lifted a pair of pearl ear-rings from the small box, and she went to the mirror." I find the word triumph significant in this statement. She obviously feels triumphant lording these gifts over her husband in their following encounter.

"Doctor Wyer,

Blow the fire,

Puff! puff! puff!"
    The first statement seems to suggest Teddy's slight irritation in a subtle way:
    "He bent down again to blow the fire. The veins in his neck stood out, his shirt collar seemed too tight. Who is Dr. Wyer or what is meant by it? Oh, I guess that is just part of the rhyme, am I right?
    Last edited by Janine; 07-24-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone! Here is the next part of the story:

Over the breakfast she grew serious. He did not notice. She became portentous in her gravity. Almost it penetrated through his steady good-humour to irritate him.

"Teddy!" she said at last.

"What?" he asked.

"I told you a lie," she said, humbly tragic.

His soul stirred uneasily.
    "Oh aye?" he said casually.

She was not satisfied. He ought to be more moved.
    "Yes," she said.

He cut a piece of bread.
    "Was it a good one?" he asked.

She was piqued. Then she considered--was it a good one? Then she laughed.
    "No," she said, "it wasn't up to much."

"Ah!" he said easily, but with a steady strength of fondness for her in his tone. "Get it out then."

It became a little more difficult.
    "You know that white stocking," she said earnestly. "I told you a lie. It wasn't a sample. It was a valentine."

A little frown came on his brow.
    "Then what did you invent it as a sample for?" he said. But he knew this weakness of hers. The touch of anger in his voice frightened her.

"I was afraid you'd be cross," she said pathetically.

"I'll bet you were vastly afraid," he said.

"I was, Teddy."

There was a pause. He was resolving one or two things in his mind.
    "And who sent it?" he asked.

"I can guess," she said, "though there wasn't a word with it-- except--"
    She ran to the sitting-room and returned with a slip of paper.

He read it twice, then a dull red flush came on his face.
    "And who do you guess it is?" he asked, with a ringing of anger in his voice.

"I suspect it's Sam Adams," she said, with a little virtuous indignation.
    Whiston was silent for a moment.

"Fool!" he said. "An' what's it got to do with pearls?--and how can he say 'wear these for me' when there's only one? He hasn't got the brain to invent a proper verse."
    He screwed the sup of paper into a ball and flung it into the fire.

"I suppose he thinks it'll make a pair with the one last year," she said.

"Why, did he send one then?"

"Yes. I thought you'd be wild if you knew."

His jaw set rather sullenly.

Presently he rose, and went to wash himself, rolling back his sleeves and pulling open his shirt at the breast. It was as if his fine, clear-cut temples and steady eyes were degraded by the lower, rather brutal part of his face. But she loved it. As she whisked about, clearing the table, she loved the way in which he stood washing himself. He was such a man. She liked to see his neck glistening with water as he swilled it. It amused her and pleased her and thrilled her. He was so sure, so permanent, he had her so utterly in his power. It gave her a delightful, mischievous sense of liberty. Within his grasp, she could dart about excitingly.

He turned round to her, his face red from the cold water, his eyes fresh and very blue.
    "You haven't been seeing anything of him, have you?" he asked roughly.

"Yes," she answered, after a moment, as if caught guilty. "He got into the tram with me, and he asked me to drink a coffee and a Benedictine in the Royal."

"You've got it off fine and glib," he said sullenly. "And did you?"

"Yes," she replied, with the air of a traitor before the rack.

The blood came up into his neck and face, he stood motionless, dangerous.

"It was cold, and it was such fun to go into the Royal," she said.

"You'd go off with a nigger for a packet of chocolate," he said, in anger and contempt, and some bitterness. Queer how he drew away from her, cut her off from him.

"Ted--how beastly!" she cried. "You know quite well--" She caught her lip, flushed, and the tears came to her eyes.

He turned away, to put on his necktie. She went about her work, making a queer pathetic little mouth, down which occasionally dripped a tear.
    He was ready to go. With his hat jammed down on his head, and his overcoat buttoned up to his chin, he came to kiss her. He would be miserable all the day if he went without. She allowed herself to be kissed. Her cheek was wet under his lips, and his heart burned. She hurt him so deeply. And she felt aggrieved, and did not quite forgive him.

In a moment she went upstairs to her ear-rings. Sweet they looked nestling in the little drawer--sweet! She examined them with voluptuous pleasure, she threaded them in her ears, she looked at herself, she posed and postured and smiled, and looked sad and tragic and winning and appealing, all in turn before the mirror. And she was happy, and very pretty.

She wore her ear-rings all morning, in the house. She was self-conscious, and quite brilliantly winsome, when the baker came, wondering if he would notice. All the tradesmen left her door with a glow in them, feeling elated, and unconsciously favouring the delightful little creature, though there had been nothing to notice in her behaviour.

She was stimulated all the day. She did not think about her husband. He was the permanent basis from which she took these giddy little flights into nowhere. At night, like chickens and curses, she would come home to him, to roost.

Meanwhile Whiston, a traveller and confidential support of a small firm, hastened about his work, his heart all the while anxious for her, yearning for surety, and kept tense by not getting it.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-25-2007 at 03:53 PM.