Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117167207212213214215216217
Results 3,241 to 3,249 of 3249

Thread: D.H. Lawrence's Short Stories Thread

Can anyone read and understand DH Lawrence? I gave a colleague of mine some of his short stories (second best, sun & odour of chrysanthemums) and I was really surprised - and disappointed - when she told me she couldn't see the point in them. "It's as if he is writing about nothing at all,' she said to me. Just curious if anyone else has come across this...

So, anyone know when the next story is to be discussed and what it will be?

How can I get a copy of the pdf version of this thread? I tried reading online but I seem to get stuck on page 18 and find it difficult to get past there.

Blog Entries
    Hi Emmy, sorry it took till now to get back to you. This thread needs reviving for certain but I am afraid, as far as my own contribution, I can't commit until later this spring or summer. Then hopefully I can lure others back in here. I have a PDF of the whole thread. Another member on here sent it to me via email. If you want to email me and give me your email address I can send one off to you. It's just a text file but it's quite interesting and you can read it at your leisure.

Why of course your friend who read Lawrence is soooo wrong. His books and his stories have so much meaning. I am sad to know she could not see it, but then some do not appreciate Lawrence the way others do. I am huge advocate of his work. This thread has been a life-altering experience and on totally worth every minute. We discussed most the stories and I have read them all by now but I would definitely like to discuss the ones we didn't, on this thread eventually.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    I found a gem on Audible on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DH-Lawrence-Th...5208167&sr=8-2

The narration is quite good and I believe most of these we already discussed. Hope you enjoy them, whoever may be paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Why of course your friend who read Lawrence is soooo wrong. His books and his stories have so much meaning. I am sad to know she could not see it, but then some do not appreciate Lawrence the way others do.
    I agree with your views on DH Lawrence and I am happy because the existence of this thread shows there are people in the world who love his work. Unfortunately, everyone I seem to know in person either can't appreciate his work or think he's a mad man. I think DH Lawrence is one of the most honest writers I have come across and I find his sincerity uplifting, especially since I have a somewhate melancholy disposition and withdraw regularly. I am reading Kangaroo at the moment and it is very interesting seeing how he viewed Australia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy Castrol View Post
    I agree with your views on DH Lawrence and I am happy because the existence of this thread shows there are people in the world who love his work. Unfortunately, everyone I seem to know in person either can't appreciate his work or think he's a mad man. I think DH Lawrence is one of the most honest writers I have come across and I find his sincerity uplifting, especially since I have a somewhate melancholy disposition and withdraw regularly. I am reading Kangaroo at the moment and it is very interesting seeing how he viewed Australia.
    Emmy, I read "Kangaroo" ages ago and liked it very much; many do not understand it or consider it a minor work. It's actually based on Lawrence and his wife's time in Australia; it reveals a lot about their relationship at that point. I agree with you in that Lawrence is such a totally true and honest writer. That is what I like about him. Other writers may have thought of what he actually comes out and says but restrained themselves because of the times and censorship, etc. I think Lawrence was a trail-blazer and far ahead of his times. If you enjoy "Kangaroo", seek out "Boy in the Bush" (also set in Australia)...Lawrence colaborated with Molly Skinner to write it; but now scholars all agree that the book is 'all Lawrence'. I have the 'made for TV' series based on the book, starring a young Kenneth Branagh, on DVD. A very good friend in the UK kindly made me the copy and sent it to me. I have watched it many times now; but would definitely like to revisit the book in the future; I would like to read "Kangaroo" again as well. I recently got an iPod Touch and hope to find them both on one of the sites to read on the device or perhaps an audiofile. I love to listen to the books being read and acted out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy Castrol View Post
    Can anyone read and understand DH Lawrence? I gave a colleague of mine some of his short stories (second best, sun & odour of chrysanthemums) and I was really surprised - and disappointed - when she told me she couldn't see the point in them. "It's as if he is writing about nothing at all,' she said to me. Just curious if anyone else has come across this...

So, anyone know when the next story is to be discussed and what it will be?

How can I get a copy of the pdf version of this thread? I tried reading online but I seem to get stuck on page 18 and find it difficult to get past there.
    Welcome Emily. It's good to meet another Lawrence fan. One day we may actually start up another group reading. Until then, I hope you enjoy reading through our wild and often loony comments here.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Welcome Emily. It's good to meet another Lawrence fan. One day we may actually start up another group reading. Until then, I hope you enjoy reading through our wild and often loony comments here.
    Virgil, isn't it great that Emmy surfaced again in this thread. I am happy to have another Lawrence enthusiast at last and we also have several others - when we do start up again we will have a great group.

Did you check out that audiobook? It is really good....5 of Lawrence's stories and they all seem new to me except the first on. "The Old Adam" seems different but perhaps it's just since it's being read. I love them all. I would copy the file but I don't think I can since it's from Audible. Can you get books from Audible for your Kindle? Oh that's right - it's not a audio device. Still you should sign up and get it on your computer. I highly recommend it and the site.

samphire

hello

i seem to remember reading a short story by dhl in which a woman stays at a house near the sea and reads poetry written on the wall by her bed put there by a departed poet who she falls in love with. there's some mention of samphire growing on the cliff. i've googled it but can't find it. have i got the wrong author?

The woman who rode away and other stories / DH Lawrence

just found this book belongs to my mother, the pages have yellowed down, but the the picture on the cover of this book is really intriguing .It has a slivery vulture like bird figure in its nest, with its wings waving in the air..... anybody knows what its supposed to mean??The woman who rode away and other stories / DH Lawrence